Mega review - AKG701, Beyer 770/880, Grado RS1, HF1, SR200, Sennheiser 600
Dec 4, 2006 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

phon-o-phile

New Head-Fier
Egads I thought as I realized the number of headphones that were in my home. I had acquired a few over time and after finding the HeadFi site, acquired way too many more. I have read many of the posted reviews, agreed with some and disagreed with others. I thought it was time to add my impressions of these oft reviewed cans.
-
The Cans under review are the AKG 701, Beyerdynamic 770, Beyerdynamic 880, Grado HF-1, Grado RS-1, Grado SR 200 with the HP 1000 drivers and the Sennheiser HD 600. All of the headphones have been used and owned by me, all long term. The AKG 701 and the GRADO HF-1 have been owned/used for less than a year since they have not been available for too long. None of my observations are based on brief use of these cans.
-
Equipment: The majority of the listening and reviewing was done through either a Benchmark DAC or the an Audio Alchemy Headphone amp. CD source was a Pioneer Elite PD54 CD player. The cables used in the evaluation included Wonderlink, Stealth and Zu digital cables. Also used were the headphone out of a Tascam 122 cassette deck that I used for monitoring the transfer of cassette tapes to CD. Portables include an ipod Nano, an Iriver slimX portable CD player and my computer headphone out.
-
The remainder of the system included an Equitech balanced power conditioner (made every headphone sound better), Krell 400XI integrated amp and Genesis VI speakers to compare the headphones to my reference audio system. Analog source evaluation was with a MMF-5 turntable to Acurus phono preamp, to the Krell and the Audio Alchemy headphone amp (the Benchmark accepting digital input only).
-
Musical choices ranged everywhere from Piazzolla to Derek Trucks, Yellowjackets to Sibelius, Alison Krauss to Kruder and Dorfmeister, and Brad Mehldau to Dave Matthews. Anything but country and pop.
-
In alphabetical order
-
AKG 701 – Very cool looking. Comfort – Quite comfortable. Every once in a while the headband makes the top of my head hurt. This usually takes at least a couple of hours. Adjustment then allows me to wear them for a couple of hours longer. Presentation places you toward the front of the concert hall, but not as far forward as the Grado SR200, HF1 and the Beyer 770’s. BASS - The bass is probably the most lightweight of the group. Not as deep nor extended, with the least amount of slam. This would not be my first choice for a bass loving rock and roller. However, what is there is musical and well controlled. MIDRANGE - The midrange is crystal clear, but dryer in presentation than the lush colored RS-1s. They are only slightly less revealing then the Grado SR 200s, which have the most midrange detail of any headphone I have ever owned. HIGHS - The highs are present, extended and natural. These headphones do not call attention to themselves in any negative way. A very good all around natural sounding, uncolored headphone. They just need that little extra bass extension and slam.
-
BEYERDYNAMIC 770 – In my view, both the 770 and the 80 are the most comfortable of the bunch. The 770 is not quite as comfortable as it needs a tight seal for the isolation. The overall presentation is forward of neutral (not quite in your face), meaning you are sitting near the front of the concert hall versus sitting at the back of the concert hall (like the 880’s and the Sennheisers do). The 770’s are the most UNrefined can of the group. However, look at this in perspective to the competition here. Compared to the vast majority of inexpensive headphones out there, they are much more refined. BASS - The bass is big, deep, tight and tuneful without being overwhelming. Great slam. Possibly the deepest, tightest bass of all of the cans in this review. MIDRANGE - The midrange can be forward and only rarely strident with a poor portable and poorly recorded CDs. However, I can still listen to these for hours on portable players. Very detailed midrange, lacking some refinement compared with this competition. Highs - The highs are also not as refined as most of the others in this review. Does this sound too negative for these cans? NO, because they are THE most fun headphone of the group to listen to. You cannot help but get into the music. Who cares if they are not audiophile refined, they are just plain fun. The best of the group with portable players and my computer. The sound isolation is also excellent for an over the ear, closed back player. I cannot hear my wife or kids with these on – all I have to do is smile and nod. That alone makes them worth keeping. Although bulky for travel, these are the headphones that I travel with, both for the sound isolation as well as the fun factor. They other schmucks in the airports always look so glum while I am enjoying every minute waiting for my plane while listening to these. In addition, they are built well and have with stood being semi-stuffed into my computer bag on many occasions. They are the headphones that I am listening to now at my laptop. I should be doing real work but I am having too much fun. If you are a stuffy audiophile (me too sometimes) get a used pair of these and loosen up with all your fun stuff on a portable.
-
BEYERDYNAMIC 880 – The most comfortable headphone of the group. Open back design. Does not clamp you head as much as the 770, and does not bother the top of my head like the AKG sometimes does (oh wait ‘til we get to the Grados). The presentation puts you at the back of the hall. Instruments sound further away then the rest of the cans. However, that does not mean the detail is lost. All the detail is there, just further away. BASS – extended, ok but not great slam, detailed but not as detailed as the best. Lacking a little in ultimate bass control and drive. MIDRANGE – Again, smooth and detailed with a more distant perspective. Very natural. HIGHS – Balanced, detailed, distant in perspective. These are my favorite cans for casual non-audiophile listening when I want to enjoy the music, but also pay attention to what I am reading. It is not until I switch to a more forward headphone in comparison, that I realize the back of the concert hall perspective of the 880s. They sound very natural on their own. They give you all the detail on the recording, are uncolored and a pleasure to listen to.
-
GRADO HF-1 – These remind me of a less refined RS-1. Comfort – For me, the least comfortable of the 3 Grados. It clamped my head tighter than the SR 200s which made my ears hurt after a while. Even after I loosened the band, they were third of the three Grados. These headphones will change their perspective whether you use bowls, flats or comfies. I liked the bowls the best by a small margin on theses (this is the only Grado I have heard that I can say this about). Presentation – front of the hall. More in your face than most in this review group. BASS – Very good slam, but with a slight bloat/less control compared to the Beyer 770, Grado SR-200. The bass was a little too overwhelming compared to the midrange and high. Not as much as the RS-1, but the HF-1 did not come close to the better balanced RS- 200s. The level of the bass was always came across as a little too much no matter the recording or amp. That made me think it was an inherent trait of the headphone. MIDRANGE – Forward, very detailed. Some will not like this much forward detail. Not as refined as the RS-1, SR-200, AKG or Beyer 880. HIGH – Very extended. Not as refined as the ultra smooth RS-1s. Can be very forward on some recordings. A close, less refined version of the RS-1s for about one third of the price (initial HF-1 offering price). This headphone just does not have the balanced synergy of the best in this review group.
-
GRADO RS-1 – The most expensive of the group. Comfort - The most comfortable of the three Grados, but well behind the Beyer 880s. I have to take these off every 1-2 hours and rub my ears. Once I pop in the next CD, no comfort problems until about the time the CD ends. As with any Grados, your ear lobes will remind you that you been wearing the headphones for a few hours. BASS – Decent slam but the bass is somewhat bloated and not as well controlled as I like. Extended bass, but not as detailed as the best. The balance of these always made me feel that they were a little bass heavy and loose compared to its midrange and highs. MIDRANGE – Very detailed. Very seductive. Very pleasant to listen to but somewhat colored. You either like the coloration or not. Not nearly as dry as the AKG 701 or the Grado SR-200, but more pleasant than the sometimes sterile Sennheiser HD600s. HIGHS – SILKY SMOOTH, also very seductive. Delicately detailed. For all the seductive things that this headphone does, ultimately the bass was too bloated for me.
-
GRADO SR-200 (with the HP 1000 drivers and Todd flats) – These ruined my ability to like any other Grados better than these. I sold my original mint pair as I was seduced by the RS-1s but eventually longed for the natural wealth of detail that these cans have. I took me 5 years to find another pair (less minty). Comfort – one the least comfortable of the group. The original Grado leather headband is more comfortable that the one with the HF-1s. I do not mind the on-the-ear pads of the Grados and they are more comfortable than an over the ear headphone when it is warm or hot outside as you don’t fell like you will start to sweat with them on. BASS – Great slam. Second only to the Beyerdynamic 770s for bass slam. Tight, controlled, detailed bass. MIDRANGE – Front of the hall presentation. The midrange detail of the HP 1000 drivers in this headphone is incredible. The AKG 701s have great midrange detail, but nothing like this. The midrange detail in the Sennheiser HD 600s could not come close. Some will find this much detail annoying. It forces you to listen deep into the recording. It makes you actively listen. I find I have to stop reading and listen to the incredible resolution of the recording when I have these on. But do not put on a poor recording because you will know it and will reach to turn the volume down. They are sooo resolving of detail, throughout the entire audio spectrum, that some may not like the presentation at all. You have to get used to these headphones because the presentation and resolution is so different from other cans (Beyer 880s and especially Sennheiser HD 600). If the Sennheiser HD 600 is your favorite all time can, you will never get used to the SR-200 presentations because the SR-200 are the exact opposite of laid back resolution of the HD 600. They make the HD 600 sound incredibly lacking in detail. The HF-1 and RS-1 do not do this to the HD 600. Those two Grados just have a different color spectrum. The SR-200 has a completely different LEVEL of resolution. Flats are a must. Comfies and bowls can make the bass weak and tilt the midrange balance towards strident. HIGHS – Very extended, very open, properly balanced in relation to the bass and midrange.
-
SENNHEISER HD 600 – Cable upgrades make these a fun audiophile, tweeky headphone. Comfort – Largest of the ear pads in the group, comfortable. Does not vise grip my head too much. However, if I am hot, these can overheat me quicker than any cans and make me need to take them off or start sweating. Presentation is about middle of the concert hall to somewhat towards the back. If someone likes these headphones I can also see that person enjoying the Beyerdynamic 880s (more detailed but slightly more distant perspective) or the AKG 701s (more detailed and a little more forward in presentation). BASS – Decent bass, but somewhat rolled off. What there is is very controlled. Middle of the pack slam, however does not compete with Beyer 770 and Grado SR 200. More like the AKG 701 in bass presentation. MIDRANGE – The midrange is why I have sold these headphones. I know that will surprise every HD 600 owner who loves the midrange resolution. The midrange is very clean and detailed and is uncolored. Slightly dry. Somewhat softer in presentation and resolution that what I feel is the best of the group. My issue with these headphones is that some of the instrument detail in the midrange is MISSING when I listen to these (eg. - a snare drum rim shot or a reed instrument). Not just recessed, but missing. When I switch to another headphone or my Krell/Genesis speaker system, that rim shot or reed instrument is present. I have not been geeky enough to pull out my test tone disk and identify the frequency response where this occurs, but it has happened on many recordings that are well known to me. Totally unexpected and totally unacceptable. Wow. HIGHS – Clean and detail but rolled off at the extreme again. Overall, a pleasant headphone to listen to but I cannot get over the lost information in the midrange.
-
SUMMARY
-
COMFORT (most comfortable first, least comfortable last) – Beyerdynamic 880, AKG 701, Beyerdynamic 770, Grado RS-1, Sennheiser HD 600, Grado SR-200, Grado HF-1.

PRESENTATION (from most laid back to most forward) – Beyerdynamic 880, Sennheiser HD 600, AKG 701, Grado RS-1, Grado HF-1, Grado SR 200, Beyerdynamic 770.

BASS (heaviest bass to lightest in presentation) – This category is tough because biggest is not always best. – Beyerdynamic 770 (great slam, great quality bass), Grado RS-1 (big bass, bloated at times), Grado HF-1 (big bass, not quite as bloated), Grado SR 200 (great tight deep bass, no bloat), Beyer 880 (a little lightweight, but well balanced), Sennheiser HD 600 (extended, less slam, not as engaging as others), AKG 701 (it is there but does not have the slam or extension of the others so you really have to listen for it).

MIDRANGE (most prominent to least prominent – again most prominent does not mean the best) – Grado SR 200 (it is all there laid bare before you in tremendous detail, incredible resolution), Beyerdynamic 770 (unrefined at times, but puts it out there for you to here), Grado RS-1 (smoother than the SR 200, but not better, colored), AKG 701 (clean and all there, well balanced), Grado HF-1 (not as clean as the other two Grados, forward in presentation), Beyerdynamic 880 (all there but very laid back in presentation), Sennheiser HD 600 (surprisingly, there was information missing on some recordings)

HIGHS (best to worst) – Grado RS-1 (silky smooth), Grado SR 200 (very natural, hyperdetailed, some will feel it is too in your face), AKG 701 (well balanced), Beyerdynamic 880 (smooth, very weel balanced), Grado HF-1 (less refined), Sennheiser HD 600 (rolled off), Beyerdynamic 770 (bright with poor recordings, least refined, but quite extended).

My favorites – How to decide?
OVERALL – 1. Grado SR 200 (with HP 1000 drivers and flats)
2. AKG 701
3. Beyerdynamics 880
For portable players and when isolation needed – Beyerdynamic 770

I use the Grado SR 200s for critical listening. These get rotated with the AKG 701 for not as critical listening if I am reading. My favorite pleasant background listening headphone is the Beyerdynamic 880s. The 880s are a more distant presentation but no loss in detail– and they are very comfortable.
-
If you feel I have trashed you beloved Sennheisers - No I don’t have Grado bias. I sold my RS-1s. Although they were very seductive, I could not enjoy the bloated, uncontrolled bass. Aahhh, but those silky smooth highs…
I also sold my HF-1’s as they had some of the same problems as the RS-1s without the same silky smooth highs. Neither could compete with the HP 1000 drivers of the SR-200s.
Finally, I sold the Sennheiser HD 600s. They were rolled off at each extreme and ultimately, I could not get over the missing midrange information in some recordings.
-
Hey, at least I am down to four pairs

Dec 4, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #2 of 21
Nice review
tongue.gif

Mind telling me what impedance and year models are the dt770 and 880?
Thank you=D

Dec 4, 2006 at 10:44 AM Post #8 of 21
Good review; different strokes for different folks. Very surprising information about the HD 600's. I wonder if this is apparent in the 650's as well; if so maybe a recable would bring things up to par? Non-the-less, that was a very refreshing, easy on the eyes review, thanks.

~Snacks

P.S. Haven't heard much about the SR-200, thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Dec 4, 2006 at 12:39 PM Post #9 of 21
Your DT880 review is spot on accurate. The DT880's really put you in another world, almost like lying in bed while music surrounds you, very easy to listen to without forcing involvement. Definatly great for Electronica or Trance.

Dec 4, 2006 at 3:03 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snacks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very surprising information about the HD 600's. I wonder if this is apparent in the 650's as well; if so maybe a recable would bring things up to par? Non-the-less, that was a very refreshing, easy on the eyes review, thanks.

~Snacks

Santa came early for me.....got the 650s yesterday! Initial impression is that it is quite a bit different then the 600 actually. Lots more bass, but detail seems cleaner too. Sounds like phon-o-phile should try them if the 600 was percieved as bass light. Plugged into my DAC1, they do seem to have a clear presentation (not so much "bass heavy" as some have sited the 650 for). I notice it has more treble extension then the 600....frequency graphs show that the mids are different for both: I wouldn't say one is better then the other in that regard (I seem to like the 650 for certain details, the 600s for others.....but for reference, the HD595 still seems better IMO). It does seem like the 650 has a nice balance of treble extension, while having some more detail in the lower to mid frequencies, compared to the 600.

But all of this is subjective anyway.....one thing I've noticed is that we all percieve headphones differently (have wondered how much of it is our brain vs the physical differences in ears). Could just be the way my ears are wired, but I find these 650s to have amazing bass slam.....can't see how any other headphone can match it!!!
580smile.gif

Dec 4, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #13 of 21
It is really interesting to find our out that most expensive does not mean better perceived quality.

Thank you very much.

Dec 4, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Santa came early for me.....got the 650s yesterday!

Me too!
600smile.gif

Quote:

Initial impression is that it is quite a bit different then the 600 actually. Lots more bass, but detail seems cleaner too. Sounds like phon-o-phile should try them if the 600 was percieved as bass light. Plugged into my DAC1, they do seem to have a clear presentation (not so much "bass heavy" as some have sited the 650 for). I notice it has more treble extension then the 600....frequency graphs show that the mids are different for both: I wouldn't say one is better then the other in that regard (I seem to like the 650 for certain details, the 600s for others.....but for reference, the HD595 still seems better IMO). It does seem like the 650 has a nice balance of treble extension, while having some more detail in the lower to mid frequencies, compared to the 600.

Before the 650's, I was scheduled to audition the 600's luckily or unluckily the sale fell through; however, based on what I've read about the 600's in comparision to my 650's, I agree with your sentiment noted above.

Quote:

But all of this is subjective anyway.....one thing I've noticed is that we all percieve headphones differently (have wondered how much of it is our brain vs the physical differences in ears). Could just be the way my ears are wired, but I find these 650s to have amazing bass slam.....can't see how any other headphone can match it!!!
580smile.gif

Headphile DB's seem to have more slam, although I haven't taken the 650's home from the office to A/B compare.

Quote:

Originally Posted by phon-o-phile
MIDRANGE – The midrange is why I have sold these headphones. I know that will surprise every HD 600 owner who loves the midrange resolution. The midrange is very clean and detailed and is uncolored. Slightly dry. Somewhat softer in presentation and resolution that what I feel is the best of the group. My issue with these headphones is that some of the instrument detail in the midrange is MISSING when I listen to these (eg. - a snare drum rim shot or a reed instrument). Not just recessed, but missing. When I switch to another headphone or my Krell/Genesis speaker system, that rim shot or reed instrument is present. I have not been geeky enough to pull out my test tone disk and identify the frequency response where this occurs, but it has happened on many recordings that are well known to me. Totally unexpected and totally unacceptable.

So far, I'm really enjoying the 650's, the only time that "veil" is percieved, was with poorly recorded mp3's other than that everything is on time. Phon-o-phile mentions missing data in the mid-range of the 600's; my listening hasn't gotten that analytical just yet...maybe if I had the SR-200, lol, things would/could change. Unfortunately, at this time my arsenal doesn't contain anything neary as revealing. So be it, much easier on the wallet.

Dec 4, 2006 at 8:21 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snacks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphile DB's seem to have more slam, although I haven't taken the 650's home from the office to A/B compare.

These 650s certainly demand some serious source equipment.....when you get a chance to audition them with your home equipment, you'll probably be amazed! Been listening to them today, and I am noticing how different the presentation is compared to the HD600s.....the mid section is very different too....think phon-o-phile may find them more revealing. Because of its overall extension, I actually don't percieve them as being much warmer then the 600....just it gets some incredible bass when the music is pumping it out. I think they also sound less "veiled" on my system. I am picking out a lot of details in classical and rock genres that were missing in the 600s.......punk actually sounds pretty sweet with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back