Meet The FiiO M7: An Exynos 7270-Powered HiFi Music Player
Jan 21, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #649 of 792
No menu option.

I tried to install Samsung Smart Things and I think that's what triggered it.

If anything, it proves that wifi is built into the hardware. There's just no way to use it in the firmware/software.

Jan 21, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #651 of 792
That's what did it. Once I installed Smart Things and opened it, it automatically triggers bluetooth and wifi. Since it requires a network connection and there's no way of managing wifi in the software, I uninstalled Smart Things.

Since we now know the M7 has wifi built in, I would ask Fiio to enable it in the software and firmware. Since they are now allowing us to use third party apps, it would be extremely useful for those apps which require a network connection.

Jan 21, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #652 of 792
That's what did it. Once I installed Smart Things and opened it, it automatically triggers bluetooth and wifi. Since it requires a network connection and there's no way of managing wifi in the software, I uninstalled Smart Things.

Since we now know the M7 has wifi built in, I would ask Fiio to enable it in the software and firmware. Since they are now allowing us to use third party apps, it would be extremely useful for those apps which require a network connection.
And if you have wifi activated now ,will that short your battery life?

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #657 of 792
The Fiio M6 and M7 are using the same internal hardware so the M7 should be wifi capable if it was unlocked. My guess is the M7 was designed as the longer battery life unit so wifi wasn't activated and 3rd party apps were not supported initially.

I have both the M7 and M9 and would like to try the latest Fiio Music App on the M9. I switched to using Pulsar instead of the Fiio Music Player. But if the latest Music App works better than the stock version on the player it might be worth switching to it. The only issue I have with Pulsar is it doesn't handle metadata as well as the Fiio app. With the latest firmware my M9 recognizes all my tracks in the Fiio Music App but Pulsar misses like 150 right now despite my attempts to fix the tags. The Fiio Music App still crashes multiple times both on the M7 and M9 when I scan for new tracks. Big reason I like Pulsar is you don't have to scan for new tracks every time. Even when you do scan it is much faster than the Fiio App.

Jan 23, 2020 at 4:39 AM Post #658 of 792
The Fiio M6 and M7 are using the same internal hardware so the M7 should be wifi capable if it was unlocked. My guess is the M7 was designed as the longer battery life unit so wifi wasn't activated and 3rd party apps were not supported initially.

I have both the M7 and M9 and would like to try the latest Fiio Music App on the M9. I switched to using Pulsar instead of the Fiio Music Player. But if the latest Music App works better than the stock version on the player it might be worth switching to it. The only issue I have with Pulsar is it doesn't handle metadata as well as the Fiio app. With the latest firmware my M9 recognizes all my tracks in the Fiio Music App but Pulsar misses like 150 right now despite my attempts to fix the tags. The Fiio Music App still crashes multiple times both on the M7 and M9 when I scan for new tracks. Big reason I like Pulsar is you don't have to scan for new tracks every time. Even when you do scan it is much faster than the Fiio App.
Try the X series adapted Fiio music app: The FiiO Music App X5III/X7/X7MKII

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #659 of 792

True, the battery life would take a hit on the M7 but, I could live with it.

That's one reason I like using foobar2000. It handles metadata almost flawlessly. Everything I've tagged shows up as I intended. I can't say that about many other players I've used. The latest versions of the Fiio app are quite good with tags as well. Foobar is the main player on my phone and I like being able to use it on the M7.

Now, if they could just fix the folder structure on the Fiio app....

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #660 of 792
True, the battery life would take a hit on the M7 but, I could live with it.

That's one reason I like using foobar2000. It handles metadata almost flawlessly. Everything I've tagged shows up as I intended. I can't say that about many other players I've used. The latest versions of the Fiio app are quite good with tags as well. Foobar is the main player on my phone and I like being able to use it on the M7.

Now, if they could just fix the folder structure on the Fiio app....

I might look into it, I went with Pulsar because it is very lightweight and I like the interface. It also supports replaygain and gapless playback and does both very well. I find I actually get better battery life with Pulsar vs the Fiio app. The Fiio app did get some updates with the latest firmware though and the target icon makes it easier getting to the Now Playing track so alot less scrolling which also helps battery life. They also seem to have fixed the issue where the number of tracks listed in the app aren't the same as the player reports. Before when you deleted tracks on the player they would still show up in File Management. The Fiio App with these fixes takes care of my two biggest annoyances with this player. I use Media Monkey to manage my tracks on my computer but I will install Foobar2000 on my computer and try it out. If I like it I will install it on my M9. I am in the process of trying to sell my M7. The track glitch on the M7 which has gotten worse for me makes it unusable now. I haven't installed the latest firmware on it, does the new firmware fix the track glitch?

With the latest firmware the battery life does seem to be better as well on the M9. Not a huge difference but maybe an extra hour or so on average and that is the main thing I miss from the M7 is the much better battery life.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back