Meet The FiiO M7: An Exynos 7270-Powered HiFi Music Player
Jun 22, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #286 of 792
I've been looking at the M7. Just to clarify @TheoS53 USB out doesn't work? FiiO advertises on their website that the M7 can be used as a transport, http://m.fiio.net/en/products/89. Is this one of those "we'll add this feature in future fw update" situations? If it is, then they should add that to their product page.

I’m using the M7 with usb audio out to the Q5, using an amazon basic usb c to micro usb cable. I’ve ordered the new CL06 cable.

Jun 22, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #288 of 792
Yes the firmware is very stable - and no I haven't had a single freeze. Yes there is an option to resume, and it works.
Sorry. This is not true!
The latest FW is better, but the first delivered FW was unstable - many files crashed (MP3 and FLAC) and the app stuck. Currently the skip bkwd button does not works correctly from time to time... it make a skip fwd not bkwd

Jun 22, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #289 of 792
Mine are aac256 and meticulously tagged. Class 10 card too. What format are you using (for the card)?

Sorry, I missed you question.

My files are mostly FLAC, but got a couple of DSDs and MP3s on there too. All FLACs and MP3s are tagged, and all artwork is within the folder rather than embedded in each track. Card format is exFAT, as FAT32 would completely crash the M7 (couldn't even start up properly)

Jun 22, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #290 of 792
Sorry. This is not true!
The latest FW is better, but the first delivered FW was unstable - many files crashed (MP3 and FLAC) and the app stuck. Currently the skip bkwd button does not works correctly from time to time... it make a skip fwd not bkwd
Please don’t tell me what my personal experience is - and I am using the latest firmware. Why would I not report on the latest available FW - there would be little point, right? The side buttons work perfectly on my unit for both skipping and scrubbing.

Is there anything else you'd like to correct me on with my personal experience of this unit?

Jun 22, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #291 of 792
Sorry, I missed you question.

My files are mostly FLAC, but got a couple of DSDs and MP3s on there too. All FLACs and MP3s are tagged, and all artwork is within the folder rather than embedded in each track. Card format is exFAT, as FAT32 would completely crash the M7 (couldn't even start up properly)
Thanks Theo - my card is FAT32, so I might reformat today and see if that makes a difference

Jun 22, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #294 of 792
No worries, hopefully that gets you sorted
16.5 minutes for ~ 6800 tracks. All aac256. All tagged properly with no unnecessary junk.

Hiby can do it in 2-3 minutes tops.

Maybe because its FLAC you get better times. I know I can't tell the diff between aac256 and redbook (or hi-res for that matter). Differences are in mastering - therefore no point to use FLAC. I can get ~500 albums on a 64 Gb card :wink:

Anyway - still something FiiO needs to improve on .....

Jun 23, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #295 of 792
@FiiO
Couple of issues:
1. I had some files change that required "Reset Database" however after doing that, my SD card is no longer accessible and requires a reboot to get it showing up again.
2. Trying to add All Songs to a playlist using Bulk Management causes the Music Player to crash, the only way to get it working is a reboot.
3. Sometimes rebooting or turning on the player requires a hard reboot. Not too big of an issue, but annoying.

Also, I noticed that theres an option to play the list once, is there an option for shuffle and play once?

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #296 of 792
16.5 minutes for ~ 6800 tracks. All aac256. All tagged properly with no unnecessary junk.

Hiby can do it in 2-3 minutes tops.

Maybe because its FLAC you get better times. I know I can't tell the diff between aac256 and redbook (or hi-res for that matter). Differences are in mastering - therefore no point to use FLAC. I can get ~500 albums on a 64 Gb card :wink:

Anyway - still something FiiO needs to improve on .....

That's very interesting. I would've expected lossy files to scan faster than bigger lossless files.

Anyways, I don't particularly care about FLAC vs lossy either, but the card and files I'm using is exactly the same as what I've been using to test the scan speed of all review units.. So gotta continue keeping it the same for the sake of comparisons.

Jun 23, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #297 of 792
I've been looking at the M7. Just to clarify @TheoS53 USB out doesn't work? FiiO advertises on their website that the M7 can be used as a transport, http://m.fiio.net/en/products/89. Is this one of those "we'll add this feature in future fw update" situations? If it is, then they should add that to their product page.

ETA: They specify it's only stable with the Q1II and Q5. Perhaps this is your issue. @Brooko perhaps you can test this when you have time since you have those DACs?

Thanks

Sorry for the time replying.

Works perfectly with the Q5, and also with the E17K. My Q1ii has enough juice to run - but doesn't have a full battery charge. It keeps cycling between play and charge - and every time it goes into charge, it drops the USB connection - so I'd say the Q1ii is a no-go unless you have a cable which stops the power draw (unless there is a setting I'm missing). So far no dice with most other devices I've tried including the Cozoy Takt Pro and Aegis and the FiiO K1,.

I would have tested with the original Q1 - but I sent it out to someone who promised a review round with 5 friends (along with a number of other IEMs). Since his package arrived (3 months ago) he has not been seen on Head-Fi, and I can only assume he's taken off with approx $1K of product. I sent it relying on Head-Fi goodwill - and hoping to get more exposure for the various manufacturers - and because it felt good to get new people started with reviewing. I won't ever be making that mistake again.

I'd just about guarantee the original Q1 would work though as it had an option for turning off the USB charge. This is what the Q1ii needs IMO.

Long story short - USB could be a bit hit and miss. I'm going to give the Q1ii a full change and try it again.

Jun 23, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #298 of 792
One thing, does the lyric has to be in synced lyric format or not? And how do i export the lyric?

I've just been copying lrc files from my X7ii and X5iii to the SD card, and using them. You might need to google for an app that takes embedded lyrics in tags, and converts to the lrc. The lyrics functionality on the M7 has the ability to adjust sync timing.

Jun 23, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #299 of 792
Git a bit more juice into the Q1ii - and its working perfectly now with the M7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back