Meet In Fort Myers, Florida: Saturday, July 24th
Mar 14, 2010 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 97

mrarroyo

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been in conversations with Ron (HiFlight) about him hosting a 2nd Meet a the Royal Palm Yacht Club in Fort Myers where he is a member. Recently he hosted one at said location and I as well as others felt it was both a very beautiful place, a large hall, and at a great price of $15 including lunch. I should mention the lunch was an all you can eat and it included: soup, salad bar, sandwich bar, and COOKIES! Usually when a meet is held at a hotel room the cost is $200 or more to be split among the participants and you still have to get lunch. So I fell that $15 is a reasonable price, did I mention the COOKIES!
smile.gif

In order not to interfere w/ CanJam10 and the start of the new school year Ron has selected Saturday, July 24th. Enclosed are some pictures off the views from the venue.

DSCN0901.jpg

DSCN0902.jpg

DSCN0905.jpg

Fort Myers is a great place to visit and frankly I was surprised at how nice the downtown area was. Here are some pictures.

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0231-1.jpg

I hope there is enough members are interested so this meet is a success. Thanks.

Mar 14, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #2 of 97
The firm date for the next Fort Myers meet is Saturday, July 24th, 2010.

We will once again meet at the Royal Palm Yacht Club, of which I am a member. There is adequate room and table space for at least 35-40 attendees. There are plenty of tables available as well as lots of AC outlets. There are no stairs to lug equipment up, as the meeting room is right inside the front door.

Cost for the facility is $15 per person. This includes an excellent AYCE soup/salad/sub buffet with coffee, tea and cookies included. (Maybe not all the cookies Miguel can eat!)
Tax and gratuities are also included in the $15.00.

For those who might wish to stay overnight either before or after, there are several nearby hotels, all of which are within 5-10 minutes. The closest is about 4 blocks away and is located on the water. Cost is $109. The costs of the other nearby hotels range from $49 (Motel 6) to about $125 (Best Western, on the water).

I will post periodic updates to this thread to keep it foremost in your minds.
Looking forward to seeing you all again here in Fort Myers! We all had a great time at the Feb. meet.

All the below motels listed are within 5 minutes of RPYC. There is very little traffic, so any would be good from that standpoint.

The closest is Legacy Harbour Hotel & Suites
2038 West First Street, Ft Myers, 33901 (239-332-2048)
Prices are $109 per single room. One can also get a one bedroom suite overlooking the river for $169/night or $159 per night if staying for 2 nights. This location is only about 2 minutes away from RPYC. About 4 blocks.

The following are in no particular order, as they are all within a block or two of each other, and only 5 minutes or so from RPYC.

Best Western Ft Myers Waterfront
13021 N. Cleveland Ave, North Fort Myers, FL 33903 (239-997-5511) Rates are $159.99 for 1st-4th floor and $10 more for 4th and higher. All overlook the water. AARP and AAA rates are $145.99 All rooms have microwave, refrig & coffeemaker.

Red Roof Inn
13000 N. Cleveland Ave, North Fort Myers, FL 33903 (239-656-4000) Rates are $99.99 overlooking parking lot, or $109.99 with riverview. All rooms have refrig, microwave, coffeemaker and free Wi-Fi. They also serve a continental breakfast.

Days Inn
13353 North Cleveland Ave, North Fort Myers, FL 33903 (239-995-0535) Rates are $69.99 for king or 2 doubles. Sr and AAA is $62.99. Coffee is available at the office.

EconoLodge
13301 North Cleveland Ave, North Fort Myers, FL 33903 (239-995-0571) Rates are $69.00 for king or 2 doubles. 15% off for AAA and AARP.

Motel 6
3350 Marinatown Lane (Next to Days Inn) North Fort Myers, FL 33903 (239-656-5544) Rates are $59.99 for 1 adult, $65.99 for 2 adults. Sr. rate is $6 less.

All are very close (within walking distance) to restaurants and a small riverside park.

There is lots to do in the nearby downtown area. You can get an idea of the club surroundings and downtown Ft Myers from Miguels pictures in his above post.

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #3 of 97
Sorry I couldn't make it last time guys! Something came up and headphone stuff had to get pushed aside.

I'll keep an eye out and see if I can make it this time, looks like a lot of fun :)

Mar 27, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #5 of 97
I should be able to attend, I have some friends over in Ft Myers so I'll make a weekend of it. Failing that I'll still try my best to get there but may have to bring my wife.. do people bring their other halves to these events?

I won't be bringing a whole lot to the event... Modded Zero, Ultrasone HFI-780s and possibly Grado GS1000 I'm contemplating buying. I also have my vintage Sony DR-Z6 which I'm most looking forward to sharing!

Mar 28, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #7 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should be able to attend, I have some friends over in Ft Myers so I'll make a weekend of it. Failing that I'll still try my best to get there but may have to bring my wife.. do people bring their other halves to these events?

I won't be bringing a whole lot to the event... Modded Zero, Ultrasone HFI-780s and possibly Grado GS1000 I'm contemplating buying. I also have my vintage Sony DR-Z6 which I'm most looking forward to sharing!

Yes wifes/sisters/girlfriends are welcome! Specially so if good looking!
wink.gif
Just kidding.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sewer Guy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Ron: Last time I could not make it due to effects of drs. procedure. Definitely plan on making this one. Will try to bring 1 or 2 with me.

Hope your recovery is coming along well and look forward to meeting you.

Cheers.

Mar 28, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #8 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, they are all more than welcome! The last mini-meet here had several non-forum family members, all of whom greatly enjoyed the day.

The facilities and food are first-class, and much to do in the immediate area for those who are not particularly interested in spending the day with phones on their heads!

All are most welcome and can also participate in the buffet for the same $15 ea.

Mar 28, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #9 of 97
I have to find someone to cover for my on-call responsibilities at work, if I can do that (and I can convince my wife) I hope to attend.

My wife want to visit the Edison house (which I believe is near by) so I might only be there for a short period of time, but will do my best. I also have 2 small children so my listening time will probably be quite limited.

Mar 28, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #10 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by markkr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to find someone to cover for my on-call responsibilities at work, if I can do that (and I can convince my wife) I hope to attend.

My wife want to visit the Edison house (which I believe is near by) so I might only be there for a short period of time, but will do my best. I also have 2 small children so my listening time will probably be quite limited.

The Edison and Ford homes are right next door to where we will be meeting and they give tours during the day. There is a museum there, plus the gardens and homes. Takes awhile to see it all.

Ron

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #11 of 97
I've never participated in one of these "can cons" before, but I've wanted to for a long time. I also have some friends in Ft. Myers, so I'm hoping to make a weekend trip out of it driving down from Gainesville.

I'd be happy to bring a few of my modest pieces of equipment, including the Darkvoice 332 amp, Meier Corda Headfive amp, Marantz CD5001 player, and any of my 'phones, including my ancient Beyerdynamic DT990s (600ohm) if anyone's interested. Let's see how the equipment roster plays out, and I'll at least try to bring a few items.

Can those that are planning on bringing equipment put together some short lists to whet our appetites? That would be cool.

Mar 29, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #13 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by plaidplatypus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a Head-Fi meet, not a convention. If you are looking for vendors CanJam is in Chicago this year.

Understood. Nope, I'm just looking to sample some equipment that I'd normally not have the opportunity to. Plus, there's cookies...

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #15 of 97
Cookiessssssssssssss ... did I mention the cookies were great!
wink.gif

My gear is in a constant state of change but I should bring.

1. Red Wine Audio Isabellina HPA or an Isabella w/ Isabellina and HPA.
2. Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 Power Amp.
3. A couple of AKG K1000's one re-cables by APureSound using their V2 cable and one by Fitz using silver plated copper wires.
4. Denon D2000 w/ MarkL mods, MarkL V4 Bubinga Wood Cups, JMoney leather earcups, and a Zynsonic re-cable using XEV silver plated occ wires.
5. Grado SR80 with a JMoney wood cups and a V3 leather headband, and a Zynsonic re-cable using XEV silver plated occ wires.
6. AKG K501 re-cabled by APureSound using their V3 cable.
7. iBasso D4 and T3 portable amps and iPod/iPhone.
8. TBD
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back