Meet Alpha Prime
Nov 5, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #271 of 351
Those cables...from Murphy Richards iron? 
tongue.gif
:D

Similar to Double Helix Cables, but I made them myself.

http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12&products_id=49

Mine are copper, 2 cables per channel (total 8), individually cotton wrapped, carbon fibre wrapped, mylar film insulated, Copper braid insulated, and finally silk cable sleeve. Cardas solder, Double Helix 6.3. They sound great even if I do say so myself :)

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #273 of 351

What number where you when you ordered yours? I think I was in the 60's unfortunately and now I am excited to get that sipping e-mail, for who knows haw long it will then take to get to Canada! 

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #275 of 351
Our "100 counter" on the site doesn't include resellers and distributors, so don't take that number too literally.  However, we're running way ahead of schedule, I'm pretty confident we'll have all orders on the books shipped before Thanksgiving.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 5, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #276 of 351

Thank you. I understand where you are coming from. Thought maybe there was something to the number but never thought of that angle. I'll keep waiting for that e-mail then! Glad your ahead of schedule, look forward to getting them soon!

Nov 5, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #277 of 351
  Our "100 counter" on the site doesn't include resellers and distributors, so don't take that number too literally.  However, we're running way ahead of schedule, I'm pretty confident we'll have all orders on the books shipped before Thanksgiving.

HI Dan,
Is there any indicative ETA on when the AD upgrades will be start processing? Is it after the initial 100 batch?

Nov 5, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #278 of 351
HI Dan,
Is there any indicative ETA on when the AD upgrades will be start processing? Is it after the initial 100 batch?

It's in parallel and I hope to send the schedule and directions out soon.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 7, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #281 of 351

Currently I am in the market for a stand alone AMP. The one I currently have is only for portable use and it is the Theorem 720 DAC/Amp. Any suggestions for an Amp that I can connect to my OPPO 105 player or anything else I may want to connect to it? 

Thank you for the line on the cable. Much appreciated! Last cables I had to buy out of Japan for my AKG cans.

Steve

I would recommend the Schiit Audio's Lyr 2, which is a hybrid tube amp. I use the Lyr 2 to run my Alpha Dogs and Beyerdynamic Dt 880 600 ohm headphones, and they both sound great. You can roll tubes to alter the sound signature, to what ever makes you happy.

What do you think about the Asgard 2 for the AP instead? I heard great things about it as well. Does the AP pair better with the Lyr 2 than the Asgard 2? 

Nov 7, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #282 of 351
What do you think about the Asgard 2 for the AP instead? I heard great things about it as well. Does the AP pair better with the Lyr 2 than the Asgard 2? 

I honestly can't tell you how the Asgard 2 sounds with the Alpha Dog or Alpha Prime, however my fiio e12 powers my AD'S to moderately nice levels. But my AD'S just love the power that comes with the lyr 2, especially when I have some good tubes in it. Although I do plan to order the Ragnarok before the the end of the year. I just have to know what a balanced A P will sound like, especially powered by the Ragnarok.

Nov 8, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #283 of 351
I honestly can't tell you how the Asgard 2 sounds with the Alpha Dog or Alpha Prime, however my fiio e12 powers my AD'S to moderately nice levels. But my AD'S just love the power that comes with the lyr 2, especially when I have some good tubes in it. Although I do plan to order the Ragnarok before the the end of the year. I just have to know what a balanced A P will sound like, especially powered by the Ragnarok.

I was really looking forward to checking out the Rag at CanJam with my AD's. (Yes, caveat emptor: CanJam is not the ideal place for critical listening.) Spent maybe 20 minutes with my AD's on the Rag using my stock balanced cables.  It was very nice, powerful, dynamic, resolving, but....lacked a little magic compared to how I felt after listening for an extended period to the Lyr2 with my SE cables.  Without getting all prosaic, it's just what I've know to be the classic dryness of SS amplification versus having the slight distortion and butteriness of a tube somewhere in the line.  Maybe that SS sound is what some folks want, but to my ears, I want some sort of tube sound somewhere in my chain.  If I could afford the Liquid Crimson or Glass, it would be all over for me as far as amplification for my AD's (soon to be AP's).  I could stretch to afford the Rag right now, but I'd still pick the Lyr2 over it, single-ended or not.

I believe Jason has bagged the idea of a tube stage for the Rag, but if he did that I'd probably buy it...because I'm sure a Schiit Tube Rag would still be nearly a grand less than a Cavalli product.  

In other news, why the hell am I not made of money?

Nov 8, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #284 of 351
I was really looking forward to checking out the Rag at CanJam with my AD's. (Yes, caveat emptor: CanJam is not the ideal place for critical listening.) Spent maybe 20 minutes with my AD's on the Rag using my stock balanced cables.  It was very nice, powerful, dynamic, resolving, but....lacked a little magic compared to how I felt after listening for an extended period to the Lyr2 with my SE cables.  Without getting all prosaic, it's just what I've know to be the classic dryness of SS amplification versus having the slight distortion and butteriness of a tube somewhere in the line.  Maybe that SS sound is what some folks want, but to my ears, I want some sort of tube sound somewhere in my chain.  If I could afford the Liquid Crimson or Glass, it would be all over for me as far as amplification for my AD's (soon to be AP's).  I could stretch to afford the Rag right now, but I'd still pick the Lyr2 over it, single-ended or not.

I believe Jason has bagged the idea of a tube stage for the Rag, but if he did that I'd probably buy it...because I'm sure a Schiit Tube Rag would still be nearly a grand less than a Cavalli product.  

In other news, why the hell am I not made of money?

Yes money lol, I am funding my audiophile habit with a part time job, I have no life, and hummus is my diet. But I am so happy listening to great music with my favorite headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back