Meet Alpha Prime
Oct 4, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #17 of 351
Alpha Prime will be on the risers, and there is a new leather strap with a split down the center for improved comfort (cooler).  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 4, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #19 of 351
  Any pictures of new strap?

Probably Monday.  It's a very nice leather, with a wide split in the center to reduce heat buildup.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Oct 4, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #20 of 351
As usual, our host is having problems with their gateway when we have a lot of traffic to our server, so our site is having problems and it's knocked our shipping modules offline.  I guess the good news is there's a lot of interest, the bad news is our server is limping and services are spotty.  We're a) working to fix this and b) moving to a new ISP with significantly higher powered servers.  Sorry for any inconvenience or delays this may cause while we sort it out.

Oct 4, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #23 of 351
Welp, I'm definitely going to be visiting the MrSpeakers tables at RMAF this year. What will you be pairing with them for the demos, Dan?

Cavalli/vega
Mjolnir/Gungnir
WA7tp

And some Hugo's with AK 120 front ends

Oct 4, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #24 of 351
I swear, having spent my second all-night listening sesh w/ the Alpha Dog Prime I can hear the evolution of Mrspeakers, and not merely of Clarks engineering, but his work at his Art. I don't give a sh__ if that sounds corny. I'm rockin' these things right now w/ my Cavalli Audio LAu, ( via Nordost Heimdall 2 or Double Helix Molecule Elite Hphone cables)  - just using digital playback today/last night unfortunately - but my favorite digital front-end: My MacBook Pro/Amarra Symphony SSD / McIntosh D100 balanced DAC...

These are, for me, far more natural-sounding that their predecessor, and actually feel more-so as well,  across the frequency spectrum. When I say feel, I mean I have a much more immediate physical connection to the music through these All-Clark-Designed drivers wrapped in an Alpha Dogs body than I did w/ my original Alpha Dogs. I actually sold them once I got the Mad Dog Pro! But the Prime, I'm giving this thing a work out, and it's like a classic 911: It loves it when you throw all sorts of sharp turns and straight aways at that biiiiiaaaaaatttt_____!

So, thus far, initial Impressions (considering my original Alphas) - and don't tweak Alpha Dog owners - this is the name of the game - they keep on pushing themselves:
and I have a feeling Dan will do right by you... But HERE WE GO:

As mentioned: FAR more natural sounding across the frequency spectrum - creating this wonderful full-bodied, resolute and dimensional soundstage/sound-field.

I also feel greater impact in the low bass extension, and again, to use the word resolute - as it's the only one that captures this - the bass is also far more detailed and natural. The subtleties, capturing the nuance, is also refined in the Prime (h___ NO that was not an intentional rhyme).

OVERALL - for me, as a genuine fan. I mean - Dan gave me what I really started to NEED ABOUT 2 YRS AGO OR SO - a pair of musical CLOSED-BACK PLANAR HEADPHONES! And I still love my OG Mad Dogs today. But I've passed those along to a budding audio and music addict recently...

So - I'm psyched to tackle this review, and I wanna hear what other guys are thinking! THIS and the RHA T10i have BOTH presented as extreme winners to me - and are the ones that I really wanted to do well this year - so the sun is shinin'.....

Back to Listening!!!!

I was enjoying another pair for a bit - but Dan insisted on sending another pair for the review - and he was RIGHT ON!! -  and Dan THANKFULLY got it to me on time to write it up at Headphone.Guru BEFORE RMAF and later Audio360.org. 

Oct 4, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #27 of 351
I'll be waiting anxiously til the San Diego meet but any RMAF feedback will be nice to read

I heard a pair of B&W P7 last night and thought they sounded fun and punchy but lacked the overall "open" sound and naturalness of the Alpha Dog. They are great portable cans though but don't have the amazing soundstaging of the Alpha Dog.

Oct 4, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #28 of 351
  Are there any in house measurements that we can compare to the ADs?

The measurements don't easily show the difference in sound. I'll consider if there's something I can produce that will be relevant and interesting without creating too many questions.

Oct 4, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #30 of 351
  I'll be waiting anxiously til the San Diego meet but any RMAF feedback will be nice to read

I heard a pair of B&W P7 last night and thought they sounded fun and punchy but lacked the overall "open" sound and naturalness of the Alpha Dog. They are great portable cans though but don't have the amazing soundstaging of the Alpha Dog.

when is the San Diego meet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back