MEElectronics SP51 - crap sound
Nov 14, 2011 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

tr00let

New Head-Fier
Hello, I've received the SP51 today and I'm wondering... is it something faulty or is it just so terrible?

The bass with black tips isn't nothing impressive at all, everything sounds like 64kbps mp3... no subbass, phone-like mids and creepy plastic highs.
Not to mention bass distortion on higher volume levels.  I've tried all tips and ports but still sounds like crap... I don't believe burning in will solve all that problems.

Does anyone have these phones and share similar experience?

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #3 of 16
I've heard nothing of the sort coming out of my SP51s. Perhaps you got a faulty pair or you're not getting a good seal with whatever tips you're using?

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #4 of 16
What are you using them with? Sounds like an issue with the connector or wiring.

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #5 of 16
Maybe try to burn them in some?  *flame suit on*

Nov 15, 2011 at 5:26 AM Post #8 of 16

Quote:
have you checked to make sure they plugged in to your mp3 player

i also had problem with bad sound till i saw that jack just dangling off table and not in mp3 player. is good to check

darthsmile.gif

Nov 15, 2011 at 7:08 AM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
have you checked to make sure they plugged in to your mp3 player

i also had problem with bad sound till i saw that jack just dangling off table and not in mp3 player. is good to check

I am feeling baked right now, or am I ?

Nov 15, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #10 of 16
Lol, of course it is connected properly. I've tried it today with several sources but it still doesn't sound good. The only thing I can imagine is that I don't have a proper source.
I've tried with behringer UCA202, Nokia N79, Galaxy Ace and it sounded equally bad, i especially hate the distrotion (e.g. on galaxy ace it distorts on like 70%).
Bass is average (especially in quality, sounds like you're re hearing a wobbly driver), mids are scooped, and plastic highs. Wouldn't call it better from fake CX300.

But, take my opinions with a grain of salt, because DT990 also sounded poor to me
biggrin.gif

Nov 15, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #11 of 16
How are you wearing them?  The first time I tried them I wore them straight down and wasn't impressed.  Once I flipped it to over ear style was able to get the housing farther in my ear and got a good seal, that's when the magic happened.  They can be finnicky getting a good seal at first, but once you get it right the bass on the black plate should be pretty deep.

Nov 15, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #12 of 16
Thanks, I'll try that.
However I found out that it was pretty much the source. Obviously this needs a poweerful amp, because I've tried it with M-Audio Xponent HP out and I was able to turn the volume knob all the way up, and there was no distortion in bass. (On other headphones half volume was ear bleeding.)
It simply needs an amp... it's a too heavy load for mp3 player's output.
Still the SQ is average... but it will be ok for outdoor use. Shame though that i can't compare it with something better, because I only have Audio Technica M20, which are also crap.

Nov 15, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
How are you wearing them?  The first time I tried them I wore them straight down and wasn't impressed.  Once I flipped it to over ear style was able to get the housing farther in my ear and got a good seal, that's when the magic happened.  They can be finnicky getting a good seal at first, but once you get it right the bass on the black plate should be pretty deep.

I agree with this. The SP51s are very finicky when it comes to insertion depth and the type of tips you use.

Nov 15, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #14 of 16
Troolet - really?  I'm using a simple Sony NWZ E-354 mp3 player and I don't max it and it's pretty loud to me.  That's interesting though I may try amping them one day to see what happens.

TheGame - what tips have you used that you liked?  I used to use the MEE biflange (quickest fit but not the most comfortable), then switched to Sony Hybrids (best seal but wanted more bass), then switched to stock Skullycandy single flanges (better bass impact, not as tight seal as the Hybrids though), and tomorrow I'll be trying the MEE extra long medium tips from the m11+

Jan 8, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #15 of 16
I actually tried these with the fiio e11 amp and honestly I don't hear much of a different. Actually seems like they sound better without the amp. The amp makes it way to "bassy". I was using my grey ports when testing them out with the amp.

Lmao I just have to say this. The gray ports which are considered enhanced bass with the combination of an amp makes the bass bass heavy songs OFF the CHART!!!!!!
Wonder what the black ports (extreme bass) will do? To lazy to do it right now so maybe later

Users who are viewing this thread

Back