MEelectronics M6 or R1
May 5, 2011 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

G4Oblivion

Head-Fier
Hello, I'm looking for a new pair of IEMs. I listen to Techno/Trance/Dance/Pop. I like my bass, too.
I'm just looking for some cheap IEMs (<$30-40). While looking, I came across the MEElectronics M6 and R1.

These both look very good, but I'm having a hard time choosing between them.
I will be using these at home, school and when I go to the store/out.

M6:
From what I've read about the M6, it has sealing problems, but no one was very specific.
Will these unseal by themselves or are they just hard to get a seal? Will they take more then a few seconds to create a seal?
I've also read that they are a bit lacking in bass for people that like bass. Can someone confirm this? (preferably a basshead)

R1:
I've read mixed reviews about these. Some people say that these have wonderful lows, but overpower the mids.
Others say that the lows are done wrong and sounds horrible (sorry, I don't know the correct terms and can't find the thread again)
Some people also say that the mids sound "hollow", but I think that's normal for a low priced wood IEM.
I'm not sure if any of this has changed since the new version was released.

I am looking for some fun, bassy IEMs, but don't want any nasty surprises like I did with my HA-RX700s.
Some music I listen to: Everything by DJ S3RL, Nightcore'd stuff(<-highs), some Rihana and Cascada.

Thanks for your time
 -Hunter

May 5, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #2 of 5
Bump. Completely rewrote my first post. Thanks for your time.

May 5, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #3 of 5
For me, the seal with the M6 seems to be due to the size of my ears. Turning my head causes the seal to break probably because the angled nozzle press against the inside of my ear dishaping the eartip--at least that is the best explanation I have come up with yet. I would hope you would not have the same problem.

As far as bass goes, I would not have said the M6 had a lot of bass until I started listening to more balanced earphones like the CW31 and A151. Now the M6 sounds like a bass monster. I would say the the M6 is midroad. Neither brain jarring or bass light. The one thing that bothers me about the M6 bass is it is not real deep and lacks the punch of the M9.

I have not heard the R1, so I cannot comment. Have you looked at the M31? It is supposed to have more bass than any of the other M Series models.

May 5, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
For me, the seal with the M6 seems to be due to the size of my ears. Turning my head causes the seal to break probably because the angled nozzle press against the inside of my ear dishaping the eartip--at least that is the best explanation I have come up with yet. I would hope you would not have the same problem.

As far as bass goes, I would not have said the M6 had a lot of bass until I started listening to more balanced earphones like the CW31 and A151. Now the M6 sounds like a bass monster. I would say the the M6 is midroad. Neither brain jarring or bass light. The one thing that bothers me about the M6 bass is it is not real deep and lacks the punch of the M9.

I have not heard the R1, so I cannot comment. Have you looked at the M31? It is supposed to have more bass than any of the other M Series models.

I didn't even see that one. Thanks a bunch.
I read a few reviews on it. Multi-IEM review thread had a great review of it (http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-164-iems-compared-ortofon-e-q5-etymotic-mc5-added-04-28) and a user on anythingbutipod had a great one as well.

I think those look like a much better choice than the R1s. Think I'm going to get 'em.

Thanks
- Hunter

May 5, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #5 of 5
I haven't heard the R1 either, but I do own and use the M6. I listen to a bit of electronica; things like prog trance, big beat, and trip hop, but I'm not a self described basshead though as I do listen to tons of other genres of music. What I appreciate about the M6s is that they are fun and engaging for this sort of fun-and-engaging music (for the lack of a better term).

The M6 do have substantial bass and enough treble to seem pretty clear for the price. If you're focused on the bass, I would put it this way: it's enough to keep my electronica to sound fun all the time without sounding like I put subwoofers in my head (in my mind, a bad thing). I will also qualify that the bass presence would be too prominent for things like classical music.

I also haven't had any fitment issues with the M6, moving or otherwise. I don't have issues with the seal, luckily. For reference, I almost always use the medium sized tips from earphones and prefer a shallow to medium insertion depth. Microphonics are pretty low too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back