MeElectronics a151 - Constant Buzz/Static sound when song is not playing
Oct 27, 2011 at 4:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

borec

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I got my MeElectronics a151 earphones yesterday. First thing I notice after plugging them into my laptop is a constant static/buzz sound in the left earphone. I thought that might be some issue with my laptop sound card (as mentioned in this review http://www.head-fi.org/t/546688/review-meelectronics-sp51-a151). So, I plugged them into my phone. Sadly the same sound is coming even with the phone. I tried other phones and laptops and I can hear see the hiss sound with all the devices. 

On my phone, the moment I start a song, the sound disappears where as on my laptop I can listen to the hiss sound even when song is playing.

Thought that must be a defective pair of earphones, so requested for a replacement. Today I got my replacement and the same issue is on this pair as well.

Is this common with all the A151s? If that is the case, I read a ton of reviews of A151 (here and else where on the net) and how come none of them mentioned this point?

Apart from that hiss/static sound, I really liked the A151 sound.

I am planning to return these earphones, what is the best earphones I can buy for under $100?
I tried Brainwaz M2 and liked them, but want to try something new.

Thanks.

Oct 27, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 9
The same thing happens to my A151's when I plug them into my desktop, but as soon as I plug them into my iPod the buzzing is no longer present. In my case its definitely the source, but I don't know what the problem is for you..

Oct 27, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 9
*grabs the a151 from desk drawer....

-fuzzy sound on laptop output (well it's a business laptop)

-fuzzy sound from my EVO 4G (the dac sucks though, I get buzzing with a lot of iems)

-complete silence from the udac 2

So what's going on is I'm guessing these are your first good pair of IEMs, and now you're finally finding out that your source buzzes.

But to be more fair, the a151 are quite sensitive IEMs with a low impedence. Google/search the forums if you want a better explanation, I'm not an authority on the matter.

In summation, you'll prob run into the same problem with other sets of IEMS, so try looking at fixing your source if you like the a151's sound.

P.S. If you have tip/fit issues, try Sony hybrids... God, hybrids are so good on any IEM i can fit them on... Olives work too I think, but they didn't seem to improve the isolation at all so it felt like a waste of expensive tips.

Oct 27, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks a lot for the replies guys..

@Lazuline
I understand what you are trying to say wrt to sources, but in my case it is weird because the problem exists on the more expensive devices.

For ex: I plugged them into my office laptop(Toshiba), no buzz sound. I plugged into my personal laptop, Asus G73sw, which is a high-end gaming laptop, the buzz is VERY audible.
I plugged them into my friend's Samsung basic phone, no buzz sound at all. But when I plug into my phone, LG G2x the buzz is present (when there is no song playing).

I used some good ear/head phones (Brainwaz M2, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, Sennheiser HD <not sure of the number>) before with the same phone and laptop, and I didn't faced any buzz/static issues.

I guess the only option is to buy an amp. But with that extra money, I can get a better earphones?

So, what you guys suggest? If not A151, what earphones would you suggest for less than $100?

Thanks.

Oct 28, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #5 of 9

Sorry I probably didn't explain this well enough, but here's my understanding of the issue:

Some equipment, regardless of price, is more prone to picking up unwanted noise then others because of some combination of nominal impedance and sensitivity. These are usually listed on the box, but if we believe what the web says, these are figures that are not always that accurate or easy to interpret. So in an ideal world, these figures put together are supposed to tell you how loud a headphone will get at some given amount of power. A highly sensitive earphone should pick up unwanted sounds easily... a less sensitive IEM probably picks up the same distortion as well, but you don't hear it because it's only audible at higher volumes, at which point you'd probably have music playing masking it.

For example, using the same sources listed in my above post, my px200-II does not pick up the static from my laptop's output or my EVO, but my more expensive HD25-I-II gets a barely noticeable but still audible mosquito buzzing on both of these. At least on paper, the HD25 should be the more sensitive headphone, so this follows my empirical observation.

Using your examples, the a151 on paper (and in my experience) is more sensitive then the M50. In practice, I find it to be even more sensitive than the box's specifications. I've never heard the M2, but judging by your experience the box isn't all the accurate either since these are supposed to be more sensitive and have a lower impedance than the a151, yet they don't buzz for you.

So what I should have said is that price isn't the issue here... If i were you, I'd pm on of the mega-reviewer's like ljokerl or Clieos and ask which low sensitivity IEMs under $100 have the same signature as the a151. Or you can try improving the source, but just buying more expensive IEMs won't necessarily "fix" the buzzing.

edit: any audio otaku or E.E. background person, feel free to correct any mistakes I've made, but I think I got the gist of it right.

Oct 28, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #6 of 9
lol more expensive sources doesn't always mean better noise levels, hope your experience makes you realize that. I completely agree with the above. It's not a issue, if anything I think it's a strength, time to get quieter sources. The M2's sensitivity on the box isn't accurate imo, it's low, haven't heard the A151 but BAs are generally pretty sensitive. 

Oct 28, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #7 of 9
Some phones are just more prone to hissing than others, regardless of price. For example my ~$110 hje900's  are more sensitive to hissing than my a151's. I notice from your list that you've never tried the phones with a dedicated audio player. If you find that your hissing is gone with one then the problem was your source and you need an amp or a DAC if you want to reduce hiss from your laptop.

Oct 28, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #8 of 9
impedance Ω

Oct 29, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for the reply guys.

Thanks for making me understand it is not an issue with the earphones. As mentioned above, looks like the issue is with my sources. But "fixing" the sources is NOT that easy for me
frown.gif
. The easiest thing I can do is buying a decent amp, but I am not too inclined to use an amp (may be not ready for high-end yet???).

I listen to music quite long and I don't like any attachments to my earphones. So, I am planning to return these earphones.

Can you guys please suggest me a good pair <$100 which is not too sensitive??
I liked the A151's sound signature (a little bass would be awesome).

I am looking at
1. Hifiman RE0 but concerned regarding the bass. How is it compared to A151.??
2. Sunrise Xcape, but read some where they too are sensitive..
3. Shure SE215

Please advice, thanks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back