MEElec M9 - the $20 miracle earphone?
Apr 1, 2010 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

kmhaynes

Headphoneus Supremus
I've had my RE0 for almost a year now -- May/June 2009 -- and have loved them, promoted them here, etc.

But I wanted to get a cheapie IEM so I wouldn't wear out my RE0. Tried several things, and now have the $20 MEElectronics M9. The first set had some wiring short -- sounded very wrong -- and their good folks sent me another set. I think they sent me an M9 with JH-13 drivers in it by mistake!! These things are amazing for $20!!

Yes, the RE0 has a more neutral and accurate sound. But these M9 have nearly replaced my RE0 as a full-time earphone! It's lively, it's big, it's musical, it's FUN!! I'm enjoying my music like never before with these cheapie $20 earphones!!

Apr 1, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #2 of 20
I just ordered a pair from Overstock.com. 26 bucks total along with a 2 year replacement plan. I can't wait for them to get here, especially with all the good things I've heard about them.

Apr 1, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by RallyMaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm...sounds good. Currently giving my new M6 a full hour worth of head-time before my initial listen of my new M9 (ordered both because I'm nuts like that).

HaHa -- I've only had my M9 for 2 weeks and I'm thinking about getting the M6 now. Post your thoughts on 6 vs. 9 when you get a chance.

Apr 1, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #7 of 20
M9 cord is 1.2m (4 feet), as shown in the MEElec specifications.

From my meager sampling of less expensive IEMs, I'm also impressed with the sound quality out of the M9s. Interesting similarities and differences from my NE-7M faves.

Compared to the NuForce, the M9 is a bit more clear and detailed, has lots of space around the instruments in its soundstage, and less voluminous (but still plenty of) bass, but it is also slightly less "fun" and engaging. It is a nice pairing with the bassier output from the iPod Classic, while the NE-7M works well with the Blackberry as a source.

With the M9, I feel like I'm on stage with the performers. With the NE-7M, I'm in the best seat in the audience.

Apr 2, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by RallyMaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm...sounds good. Currently giving my new M6 a full hour worth of head-time before my initial listen of my new M9 (ordered both because I'm nuts like that).

I did the same thing recently, got them both at the same time from Newegg when I was embarrassed find my wife using some ancient freebie buds, one dead, the other barely working, and they never stayed in her ears. I started reading here, couldn't decide so I got both. At first I would've said they sounded the same. After break in, I thought the M6 sounded better. The only fault I have with the M6 was trying to get the right ear wire to fit good like the left. I found in both they'll sound completely different with different tips. Sony Hybrids seal well and are comfortable but they make them have too much bass for my tastes. My wife ran off with the M9s, liked the sound, ease of use, and said they were comfortable. Double flange tips supplied seemed to work well on the M9. I also got Maximo IM-590s and like them too, a little less bass, a little better mids and up to me. I'm getting one more pair of IEMs for about $100 and calling it good.

Apr 2, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had my RE0 for almost a year now -- May/June 2009 -- and have loved them, promoted them here, etc.

But I wanted to get a cheapie IEM so I wouldn't wear out my RE0. Tried several things, and now have the $20 MEElectronics M9. The first set had some wiring short -- sounded very wrong -- and their good folks sent me another set. I think they sent me an M9 with JH-13 drivers in it by mistake!! These things are amazing for $20!!

Yes, the RE0 has a more neutral and accurate sound. But these M9 have nearly replaced my RE0 as a full-time earphone! It's lively, it's big, it's musical, it's FUN!! I'm enjoying my music like never before with these cheapie $20 earphones!!

Don't be a slave to your gear... gear is meant to be used, not put on a pedestal. The RE0 is pretty cheap itself anyway so don't be afraid to use it.

Anyway kudos to you, you found a great sounding earphone! I recently discovered the $30 JLabs J3 and found it is an amazing phone as well. A tad bright and harsh but if I EQ the treble down it fits my sound preferences almost perfectly.

Apr 2, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #10 of 20
ty for the reply. I need about 6 ft tho.

Apr 2, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The M11 has a 1.4m cord, but a different sound quality from the M9. Or you could add an extension cord.

Apr 2, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #12 of 20
I like the M6 more than the M9.... I like the design and the sound more...even though its supposedly have the same drivers.

Apr 2, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Seriously doubt you'll find any IEM with a 6 ft cord. That's as long as you are! You'll almost certainly have to get an extension..

Apr 2, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #14 of 20
cheap earphones seem to be giving surprises
smily_headphones1.gif
I got myself a PL30 and it arrived yesterday and have been trying it out since. It's pretty much a winner at the price of 17 shipped that I paid for. The accessories that it comes with is pretty shocking for such a cheap phone
smily_headphones1.gif

It's not as good as my other stuff but I don't expect them to but it's a pretty good buy at under 20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back