Meelec A161P Thread: *Review* Part 1: General Ergonomics & Sound Summary 7/28/12 [Review list by others on Page 1]
Jun 21, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #31 of 55
For the people who have these, how have they held up? There was a comment in one of the reviews that the insulation on the cable was coming loose after a short time. Has anyone experienced problems with the build quality, especially the cable? I am getting tired of all my headphones losing sound in one earpiece after a few months of pocket use.

Jun 21, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #32 of 55
Quote:
There was a comment in one of the reviews that the insulation on the cable was coming loose after a short time. Has anyone experienced problems with the build quality, especially the cable?  

I experienced what you're describing about a week after I got the A161Ps (which was a bit more than a month ago), but since then it didn't get worse. I was told by MEE that this problem is only present in the first batch of A161Ps, as it was a bit rushed. They said that it should be fixed on the units from the second batch.

Jun 21, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #33 of 55
Quote:
For the people who have these, how have they held up? There was a comment in one of the reviews that the insulation on the cable was coming loose after a short time. Has anyone experienced problems with the build quality, especially the cable? I am getting tired of all my headphones losing sound in one earpiece after a few months of pocket use.

I had this, the cable actually detached from the strain relief.  I got another pair, has been good since.  Had the first pair for about a week before it happened, the new pair for a few.

Jun 21, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #34 of 55
Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll pay for the upgrade on my return of my A151s and give these a shot. I have never paid more than $60 for IEMs since they always come loose inside the insulation after a while but with the upgrade option it makes it easier to justify.

Jul 19, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #35 of 55
Surprised it has been quiet among these parts. Hope to get my review up very soon. You really can't go wrong with them, they're fairly balanced compared to it's competitors with a warm tilt for those that like a boosted bass. I can say it's performance is a step-up from the EPH100, will go into detail in the review. 

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #36 of 55
how is it as compared to EPH-100?

Jul 28, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #37 of 55
 ​
how is it as compared to EPH-100?

In summary. Less subbass rumble, but in general terms, not too far behind. Midbass levels are close to the same, with a similar warmth throughout the midrange. The treble is much more even (what will be perceived as more "detailed") and smoother than the EPH-100. EPH100 has a specially quality due to it's class-leading bandwidth, but the Meelecs have a more coherent response in the most relevant frequencies. Isolation levels are close to the same, the Meelecs provide better comfort. I rate the Meelecs higher due mainly due to a more even treble response. Bass and midrange are more transparent, flat, than the EPH100 but it's fairly closer here. 

Jul 28, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #38 of 55

​
Post#1: Intro // Post#2: Packaging & Accessories
Post#3: Build Quality & Cable Ergonomics // Post#4: Fit & Isolation
Post #5: Sound Evaluation [Temporary Summary Provided - Complete Evaluation Coming soon]
 ​
  Part 1, depicting overall ergonomics and temporary sound summary completed. I tried to be as elaborate as I can in the first 4 posts, mentioning any detail that I can for it's everyday use. Feel free to comment or post thoughts on this section of my review.

Aug 5, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #40 of 55
Ok but how do they sound compared to the A151?

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #41 of 55
So I've had these a couple of months and the cable insulation has separated at each earpiece strain relief, so the wires underneath are visible. I know this was a problem on early versions but I thought it was supposedly fixed.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Guess I'll have to contact them and send them back and not have headphones while I wait for a new pair. 
mad.gif

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #42 of 55
Wow, bummer. I started getting interested in these with all the nice reviews and word of the useful mic location. Also, the comparison with EPH-100 was helpful, because the EPH was one I wanted to like, but it's circumference was painfully ear-clogging for my inner canals.

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #43 of 55
Quote:
So I've had these a couple of months and the cable insulation has separated at each earpiece strain relief, so the wires underneath are visible. I know this was a problem on early versions but I thought it was supposedly fixed.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Guess I'll have to contact them and send them back and not have headphones while I wait for a new pair. 
mad.gif

You might have gotten one of the early models before they knew of the problem.  Hopefully you won't get another one.

Aug 31, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #45 of 55
Okay, scored a pair. 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back