MEEaudio X7 Plus Review by mark2410
Apr 20, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #16 of 41
I hate to be a negative nancy here, but I got these after reading tons of stellar reviews and was really disappointed.  I have limited experience with IEMs, but there was no way I was going to keep these for $100 so I sent them back.  Love the idea of wireless for something like this, but the added $60 was just not worth the sacrifice in sound and build quality.  Hopefully the prices keep coming down and the market opens up.  I wouldn't mind a higher quality option for a bit more money, but it seems that segment of the market is empty right meow.

Apr 21, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #17 of 41
I hate to be a negative nancy here, but I got these after reading tons of stellar reviews and was really disappointed.  I have limited experience with IEMs, but there was no way I was going to keep these for $100 so I sent them back.  Love the idea of wireless for something like this, but the added $60 was just not worth the sacrifice in sound and build quality.  Hopefully the prices keep coming down and the market opens up.  I wouldn't mind a higher quality option for a bit more money, but it seems that segment of the market is empty right meow.

I appreciate your comments. What did not live up to expectation? Too much bass? Poor vocals? Etc
I know sound is very subjective and every opinion is important.

Apr 21, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #18 of 41

could you elaborate?  

May 25, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #19 of 41
  could you elaborate?  

I would also like him to ellaborate. I have to say that I agree with most of what has been said about sound quality here. These are good sounding IEMs, period, and not good sounding for a bluetooth IEM. I do agree that they have a V shaped response, but they are very musical and the timbre is quite nice.

I find them in terms of sound signature similar to Philips Fidelio L1, with more treble but similar lows and mids. Compared to other budget IEMs like SHE3590 for example, the X7 is much nicer. Jazz trios composed of piano/upright bass/drums on the SHE3590 are awesome because of its very good bass performance, but the timbre on vocals and winds is quite awful (try Zaz, Ensemble) and as others have said, it does need equalization to achieve a nice overall sound.

Listening to the same music on the Mee Audio X7 Plus, no eq nor anything, instantly put a smile on my face, as there was nothing that I would find bothersome, tiring, irritating or even piercing treble. There is some hissing, from time to time some sibilance, but overall excellent experience, more if you consider the price and that these are BT headphones.

As a side note, I've read that someone said that as a headset there's no difference between using the cable behind the neck or below the chin because the mic appears to be located at the earpiece. I have to disagree, as the user manual and my own experience indicate that the mic is in the volume control.

When I tried a call, the other end would listen only to ambience sound but not me when used this way (behind the neck). When used below the chin, the other end could hear me perfectly (same situation of course, walking in the street), so the mic appears to be located in the volume control thingy, and in my experience these are pretty useless as a headset when used behind the neck (nevertheless behind the neck is the most comfortable position for physical exercise). There's however a respectable amount of microphonics when cable rubs against clothes (no microphonics when used below the chin). 

Best,
Bas

EDIT: now that I listen to one headphone after another, perhaps the sound signature is more similar to the HD25-I-II, particularly on the high mids and treble (and it's a more fair comparison, as the L1 is a semi-open design). I just ran out of battery on the X7 plus and as it charges continued listening on the HD25-I-II and my first thought was "the heck, they are pretty similar". Not exactly an A/B testing, but I still got a smile on my face.

May 25, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #20 of 41
There was a tip in the Amazon comments that helped me out with the microphone:  if you get a call, just pull out the right earphone and let the mic dangle in front of your mouth.  Works perfectly.

May 25, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #21 of 41
Yeah, but I prefer to wear it below my chin. Just as when you wear a new watch the wrist quickly gets used to it, the cable below the chin becomes invisible to me after some minutes, and eliminate cable micrphonics and issues when answering a call.

Jun 4, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #22 of 41
I am currently looking for bluetooth iems. How do these compare to the jaybird x2?
I am currently using the shure se215, but they get uncomfortable after an hour or so in my ear. How do the bluetooth iems compre to the se215 in terms of audio quality and comfort?

Jun 5, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #23 of 41
I am currently looking for bluetooth iems. How do these compare to the jaybird x2?
I am currently using the shure se215, but they get uncomfortable after an hour or so in my ear. How do the bluetooth iems compre to the se215 in terms of audio quality and comfort?

not sure havent heard the x2.

they ought to be rather comparable to the 215 but im going from memory, its been a long while since ive heard the 215.  comfort, well i neverhad any problems with the 215, is the discomfort due to their not fitting your ear great of the relentlessness of their air movment on your sensitive inner ear and wearing you out?

Jun 5, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #24 of 41
The se215 are quite big. The left one fits well, but for some reason the right one applies a constant pressure on my ear which gets uncomfortable after a while.
Also looks like the jaybirds x3 are coming out soon, so i will postpone this decision and purchase for a while.

Jun 5, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #25 of 41
Soundwise I'd say that the signature is similar to the SE215, with a little more bass, a little more treble, and perhaps not as detailed. At lower volumes, I find that the MeeAudio X7 is more enjoyable than the SE215. To feel the bass in the SE215 I have to crank up volume more than with the X7 Plus.

This is something that Tyll pointed out several times: headphones with a somewhat v-shaped sound signature tend to feel flatter and more musical at lower volumes than flat-signature headphones at the same volume.

Comfort wise, just as mark2410 I never had any trouble with the SE215, but if you had trouble with those, perhaps the X7 Plus won'tbe a good fit. However, since the enclosure is rounded and has no sharp edges, I don't think you're gonna have any trouble. I haven't tried the x2 to help you there, but I can tell you that the X7 is great.

One thing I noticed is that when used below the chin the bluetooth signal has more issues. Probably because the soft tissue of the neck and face interact with bluetooth reception more than the skull when used behind the neck (as probably you're aware, water and bluetooth frequency don't cope well, and soft tissue has significantly more water than bones).

Best,
Bas

Jun 6, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #26 of 41
  The se215 are quite big. The left one fits well, but for some reason the right one applies a constant pressure on my ear which gets uncomfortable after a while.
Also looks like the jaybirds x3 are coming out soon, so i will postpone this decision and purchase for a while.

eek, yueah if the 215 is giving you fit trouble these may be worse as they are a little bit bigger.  however with fit the only real way to ever accualy tell is to try soemthing, every ones ears are different, from what i gather MEEaudio have a pretty great return policy so could be worth a go to find out.  fit is just so personal though.

Aug 15, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #27 of 41
I'm in the market for a durable -true sweat resistant- Bluetooth headphones, and I'm very close to pulling the trigger on these. But I'm just worried about how quite a few people say the volume doesn't get too loud. Can any one who has these shed some light to its peak db or at least give s reference to how loud it gets in comparison to say the shure 215???

Your help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Aug 15, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #28 of 41
I've never heard of such an issue. In my case, paired with my Lumia 735, I usually use them with the phone at max and the headphone at 2-4 points less from max volume. Never had any issue with max attainable volume, in fact, with phone and headphone both at max volume, the headphones are way too loud to use.

Best,
Sebastian 

Aug 15, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #29 of 41
I've never heard of such an issue. In my case, paired with my Lumia 735, I usually use them with the phone at max and the headphone at 2-4 points less from max volume. Never had any issue with max attainable volume, in fact, with phone and headphone both at max volume, the headphones are way too loud to use.

Best,
Sebastian 
I bought them today, I'm very excited to see what they are capable of. I really hope the audio quality is good!

Aug 15, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #30 of 41
Oh sq it's really really good. Not "good for a bt headphone", but really really good on their own. I have a bunch of other headphones which are supposed to be much better and are actually much worse. By the way, take care of them, it's easy to lose them (i'm telling you because I lost my pair last week, had them hanging on the inner pocket of my jacket, ran the bus, and when I tried to use them on the bus I noticed they weren't there anymore... I miss those headphones, and they're not sold anymore here in Argentina, sad, really really sad). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back