Mee M6 out of the box.
Nov 5, 2009 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

omega52

Head-Fier
Just opened my new Meelectronics M6 CL earphones & my first impression is that they sound like they cost $35. Bass is a bit bloated & mids are recessed. Not very well balanced, if you ask me. With an iPod Nano 5g the HC Titans sound much better. Much better. With a Zune 80 or Tosh T400 or Sansa Clip+ the Titans don't do much for me, but with a Nano they shine! The M6 & T400 combo brings up the bass hump to a point of being fatiguing & the highs are very metallic. Now I mentioned that this test was fresh out of the box. That is the same for the Titans BTW. I have probably reduced my credibility by praising the SC Titans, but I can only say that it must be the Nano, Titan symbiosis that makes the difference, as I have never heard a Scull Candy phone that did not have bloated, flabby bass & mid & highs that were listenable. This is my first experience with iPod, so I assume that the highs & lows are a bit rolled off, making the Titans bass as good as it is. BTW the Titan bass is prominent, but not in the midbass region like the Mee M6. The M6's are a bit less efficient than the Titans too. Testing in progress.
Cheers,
kev

Nov 5, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #2 of 15
might be a seal/tip problem, and it might be that they need to burned in(not sure what kind of drivers they have)

and the SC tititans are considered okay around here, not great by any means, but just low quailty; though not worth what you pay for.

Nov 5, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #3 of 15
Seal problem almost always results in a lack of bass, not bloated bass. I just got a pair as well. I don't like the tips so I have to wait until I get home to try them with comply or shure tips.

Nov 5, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #4 of 15
Perhaps the sound is not for you then. I did find that the sound changes a fair bit with different tips, so keep trying. Of course, burn-in will have a nice effect.

Otherwise, you may just be out of luck. The mids ARE slightly recessed, and there is some extra bloat in the mid-bass, but that's what makes this earphone sound "sweet" to my ears.

Nov 6, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #5 of 15
I'm burning in a pair of M9's right now. I couldn't get a good seal with the stock tips, but with the big biflanges from Head-Direct, the seal was perfect.

The bass is quite bloated right now, and the mids are, as everyone has said, recessed. I'm hoping they will improve with burn in.

Nov 6, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #7 of 15
What tips fit the Mee M6's? The stock double flange are a poor fit for me & they don't fit fully on the shaft. Speaking of which, these shafts have no notch or any way to keep the tip secure. Why am I concerned? Last year I flew half way across the country with a Shure tripple flange stuck in my left ear canal. Couldn't get it out! Shure has since replaced my E4c's with the new style tube.
Anyway, I'm looking for tips that will fit on the M6's. Any help is appreciated.
Cheers,
kev

Nov 6, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #10 of 15
Yes indeed, I'm using the huge transparent Head-Direct biflanges right now.

EDIT: I'm using them on the M9, which have a different nozzle size. So they might or might not.

And the M9 has improved after 24 hours of burn-in. The bass has tightened up a bit, and the muddiness has been reduced somewhat. Overall, this is still quite a bassy IEM, and the bass might actually overpower a bit of the mids. Also, as mentioned, there's a huge mid-bass hump.

Nov 7, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #11 of 15
I'm pretty pleased with the sound, fun to listen to. Plus, I love how the clear M6 phones just disappear when you put them on. Tuck the cord into your shirt and get your antisocial on. Still looking for some foamies that fit. Can get a great seal with the big single flanges it came with, but it can take quite a bit of fiddling. Would settle for some flanges that arent so flimsy and ready to collapse on themselves as these.

Nov 7, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #12 of 15
has anyone tried shure olives on the m6? do they fit? i was going to go for the sony hybrids, but the fact that you get 1 in each size seems like kind of a waste when you're only going to use one of the sizes.

Nov 7, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by EraserXIV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
has anyone tried shure olives on the m6? do they fit? i was going to go for the sony hybrids, but the fact that you get 1 in each size seems like kind of a waste when you're only going to use one of the sizes.

Stock olives would need some very serious plier work to expand the core enough to fit on the Ai-M6. Core-less olives are a little loose.

Nov 7, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #14 of 15
If you sacrifice a stock M6 tip of a size you don't use you can make adapters quite easy. Just turn them inside out and cut the stem off. Then put them on first. Now de-cored olives stay just fine and other larger tips will fit/stay on them.

Also, larger tips with larger opening help soundstage height(top to bottom size). Not much difference on the M6 but can be noticeable. Even better for phones like the ER4 which I use the M9 bi-flange with.

Good tips for the M6 if you want improved highs are the Jays black silicone tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back