Mediocre CDP+Good DAC Vs Good CDP, which is better?
Feb 3, 2008 at 6:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

PrTv

100+ Head-Fier
Hi

This is related to the thread I just posted a day ago about choosing a DAC. Some folks told me that I should never, ever consider using DAC if a transport is not good enough, because a low quality or even mediocre transport, even if paired with a good DAC, cannot deliver good audio performance. In this case, it is better to go with a good CDP.

On the other hand, others said function of the transport is just reading raw data and sending them to the decoder, so there isn't much difference between good/mediocre/bad transport so long as it can read the disc correctly.

I wonder which one is correct?

Now I'm using a not-so-good CDP, Denon DCD970 and I wonder how it will perform as a transport. If the first statement is true, I may get NAD CD542; otherwise, I may buy some DAC (around $450) and use my Denon as a transport.

I'd like to hear your opinions before making decision.

Thanks
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2008 at 6:32 AM Post #2 of 3
I'd come down on the side of buying a good DAC. Mostly because you don't have to use your Denon as a source. You could start using your computer as a source, and even an inexpensive soundcard will give good results. You could run a Squeezebox into the DAC, as well. You'll have many more options.

Feb 3, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #3 of 3
I agree with what Uncle Erik said about the versatility of an outboard DAC. On the other hand, if you know you'll never need that versatility, a good CDP can perform perfectly well and save you a power socket, space in your rack, etc.

On the "transport quality" argument, the only reason transports matter at all is because most DACs are poorly designed. A good, jitter-resistant DAC levels the transport playing field quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back