mechanical pencils?
Apr 9, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #106 of 118
i never would of thought anyone else who liked the titanium... i actually went out of my way to buy a lot of them from ebay.

they're made in japan if that makes any difference, as subconsciously i think they're made more durable.

Jan 31, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #108 of 118
I've been using a rotring 600 for a while, just picked up an 800, which was rather disappointing. Looking to pick up a rapidomatic soon.

May 18, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #109 of 118
I'm a Pentel fan. I particularly like the Graphgear 1000 and the Kerry. The Kerry has a unique two piece design. The cap when removed fits on the back of the pencil. The Graphgear 1000 has a retractable tip. Both have a nice weight to them, although the center of gravity on the Graphgear 1000 is a bit higher than I would like. The Pentel Graphgear 500 has a lower center of gravity, but has a nice amount of weight in the lower part of the Pencil. The Graphgear 500 doesn't retract though. The Graphgear 500 is only around $6. It is imo the best buy for a mechanical pencil that feels like quality in my hands. 

May 21, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #110 of 118

I can't believe you replied to this thread... I started this thread almost 10 years ago....

But I suppose the conversation is still relevant! I was a freshman in high school when I first asked about mechanical pencils. Now I'm preparing for the GREs and using them more and more. My main squeeze is a rotring rapid pro 0.7. 

May 24, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #111 of 118
"I can't believe you replied to this thread... I started this thread almost 10 years ago...."

The irony is that many excellent pencils available now were available 10 years ago. The Kerry and a number of the Rotrings for example, as well as the Pentel Sharp  P200 series. I just looked at the Pentel P207 that I bought while I was in college 35 years ago(yes, I am old :frowning2: ) and the ones sold now seem exactly the same. The Kerry has changed a bit. It now says since 1971 on it. Mine doesn't say it. I wonder when they added it. The Pilot Vanishing Point pencil is greatly desired but was discontinued, and is now selling for high prices on Ebay. 

The Uni Kuru Toga pencils are unique in that they rotate the lead so that the writing is very uniform, and lead breakage is rare. Uni also makes special diamond nanoparticle  infused lead for it that is harder at the core and softer on the outside. I haven't tried the basic Kurutoga with standard(Pentel) lead yet, and have only used it with the Uni lead. The basic Kurutoga model comes with 10 spare leads. I can't remember even having one lead breakage while writing with the basic Kurutoga, and the writing is indeed very uniform. With standard mechanical pencils, the writing gets thicker as that area of the lead wears down. The one thing I do wonder about the Kurutoga is longevity. Since the mechanics of the pencil is engaged every time enough pressure is placed on the point, I do wonder if it might wear out much quicker than a traditional mechanical pencil. The basic Kurutoga is inexpensive enough though, so if it does only last a few years with heavy usage, replacing it is not a big deal. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_OXoxymeho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKNtPAKX0Mk

http://davesmechanicalpencils.blogspot.com/p/top-10-general-mechanical-pencils.html

May 24, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #112 of 118
The Pentel Graphgear 500, Graphgear 1000, and Kerry  are available at many art supply stores. Even Staples has the Pentel P200 series pencils. They also have the basic Uni Kurutoga pencil. If someone is on a very tight budget, and wants a pencil that feels like great quality in the hand, the Pentel Graphgear 500 is great. My only complaint about it is that the sharp point isn't retractable. It has nice weight to it, but has a low center of gravity, making writing for long periods of time much less tiring. The Graphgear 1000 has a retractable point, so it can be safely put in a shirt pocket. It has a much higher center of gravity than the Graphgear 500, making extended periods of  writing more tiring.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-mechanical-pencils/

May 31, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #113 of 118
No comments? It seems like most mechanical pencils give up quite a bit of stability when they are retractable. That seems to be why the Pentel Sharp Kerry is so popular. It is not retractable, but instead has a removable cap that fits on the top of the pencil. Weight and stability is superb. It is only around $11 now on Amazon. I can't remember when I bought my Kerry, however it might have been up to 30 years ago. It was probably over 15 years ago. It has been made since 1971. 

Of the retractable mechanical pencils I own, the Pentel Graphgear 1000 is probably the most stable. It is rather new though, so I do wonder if it might get less stable after many retractions and extension. With all the mechanical pencils I have now, the Pentel Graphgear 500 and the basic Kuru Toga(I don't have any of the higher model Kurutogas) are my go to pencils. If you want to try a mechanical pencil that is very different from the rest, get a Uni Kuru Toga. The basic one is only around $5, although the Roulette model with a metal grip and metal clip is only around $10 on Amazon. The Kurutoga is particularly good if you tend to have problems with breaking lead, or are annoyed by writing that doesn't look consistent. With a traditional mechanical pencil, the writing gets wider as the tip wears. The Kurutoga rotates the lead every time enough pressure is put on the point. 

Jun 4, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #114 of 118
 Originally Posted by onionblaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I read through the pens thread a little the other day (I had to stop myself before I start spending any more money) and I realized that I need a nice mechanical pencil.

Regular wood pencils have given me nothing but trouble since school started, with literally NO good pencil sharpeners available to me anywhere. So what I want is a mechanical pencil, and no cheesy twelve-pack-at-Staple's mechanical pencil either. I'm looking for something of quality, and where better to look for quality than at head-fi?
biggrin.gif

Any suggestions?

(PS: I am a lefty. I don't know how much difference that makes.)

Quote:
  No comments? It seems like most mechanical pencils give up quite a bit of stability when they are retractable. That seems to be why the Pentel Sharp Kerry is so popular. It is not retractable, but instead has a removable cap that fits on the top of the pencil. Weight and stability is superb. It is only around $11 now on Amazon. I can't remember when I bought my Kerry, however it might have been up to 30 years ago. It was probably over 15 years ago. It has been made since 1971. 

Of the retractable mechanical pencils I own, the Pentel Graphgear 1000 is probably the most stable. It is rather new though, so I do wonder if it might get less stable after many retractions and extension. With all the mechanical pencils I have now, the Pentel Graphgear 500 and the basic Kuru Toga(I don't have any of the higher model Kurutogas) are my go to pencils. If you want to try a mechanical pencil that is very different from the rest, get a Uni Kuru Toga. The basic one is only around $5, although the Roulette model with a metal grip and metal clip is only around $10 on Amazon. The Kurutoga is particularly good if you tend to have problems with breaking lead, or are annoyed by writing that doesn't look consistent. With a traditional mechanical pencil, the writing gets wider as the tip wears. The Kurutoga rotates the lead every time enough pressure is put on the point. 

Mechanical pencils have more stability compared to graphite wooden pencils, which change in length and weight as you use them. So you have to keep relearning them.
Steadtler Mechanical pencils are one of the better brands (the 700 series). They have been around for a long time, professional graphic artists use them. The best sharpener to use for them is the Mars 502. I also have the Mars Micro mechanical pencil (0.5mm), which is more of a drafting pencil (for drawing fine lines).

Nov 27, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #115 of 118
Retractable points are what contribute to instability. That is the reason i favor the rotring 600 against the 800.

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #116 of 118
  Retractable points are what contribute to instability. That is the reason i favor the rotring 600 against the 800.

The Rotring 600 is also much cheaper than the 800. The downside to having a non retractable mechanical pencil though is that it is dangerous to keep in a shirt pocket, especially if someone is unwilling to look like a nerd and have the pencil in a pocket protector. Even a cheap plastic pocket protector though might not be good enough protection though if one falls while there is a non retractable mechanical pencil in their shirt pocket. The Sharp Kerry is great to keep in a shirt pocket(when the point is capped). The main downside to the Kerry is that some reviews on Amazon indicate that some Kerry pencils made within the past few years have quality control issues(losing the button on the cap). I don't know if the problem has been resolved, and if so, how to tell the ones that won't have issues from the ones that might have issues.

For the price(around $5), I am very impressed with the Pentel Graphgear 500. It feels very stable and has a low center of gravity. It isn't retractable. The Graphgear 1000 is retractable, but has a much higher center of gravity than the 500. A lower center of gravity in a mechanical pencil is great, as it causes much less hand fatigue when one does plenty of writing. The Graphgear 1000 is the most stable of the retractable mechanical pencils I own. The others are some old Pentel and Parker models.

Dec 4, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #117 of 118
Yeah that makes a lot of sense. I stopped carrying my 600 around when i almost broke it from dropping it. Thats when i bought the 800. I'll have to look into some of your suggestions. I agree completely with your comments on weight, i think thats the reason i am so stuck on heavy pencils. I bought some koh i noor rapidomatics, they are nice but very light.

Dec 9, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #118 of 118
A good video  comparing the Graphgear 1000 to the Graphgear 500 and Rotring 600.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEQtfQKxmr8

A video showing how the Pentel Sharp Kerry works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUrF1X6Op48

Users who are viewing this thread

Back