Measurement based equalization of HD650, HD700
Aug 15, 2013 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

JMS

100+ Head-Fier
There's been some recent discussion over in the Sound Science forum about new research on the measured and subjective response of headphones, including a revelatory paper (summarized here) on the subjective impressions of equalized frequency responses.

I've been doing a bit of measurements and experimentation with various frequency response curves myself, and wanted to share the results because they have resulted in significant improvements to my Sennheiser HD650 and HD700 headphones. The improvements are so drastic that I could not listen to these headphones anymore without equalization.

The measurements were taken using a MS-TFB-2 in-ear microphone on a dummy head (mine). I've compared the free response of this microphone against calibrated microphones, and it compares very well.

First, here's a graph of the natural and equalized response of the HD700, mounted on the dummy head. The equalized response was predicted using Room EQ Wizard's "Generic" EQ.

The unequalized response matches well with measurements from purrin, as well as InnerFidelity's post-HRTF curves. The equalization target was motivated by the cited paper's findings, and adjusted based on my own subjective impressions. Subjective listening was done using jRiver's parametric eq. The exact settings were:

38hz +4db Q=2
50hz +5db Q=1
2500hz +5db Q=1
5900hz -8db Q=5

Based on the measured response matching the other published curves, my subjective preference matching well with a flat equalized response, and my previous measurement of my own HRTF using this microphone, my conclusion is that measurements taken this way (at entrance of ear canal) matches well with perceived response. Further compensation with HRTF does not seem necessary.

Second, here's the same for the HD650:

The settings were:

38hz +4db Q=2
50hz +5db Q=1
2500hz +1db Q=1

So, the difference in settings is less of a boost at 2.5khz for the HD650, and no removal of the peak at 5.9khz. The equalized curves match well up to 10khz.

After equalization, both headphones have about the same, neutral spectral balance, comparable to my hi-end, room-corrected speaker system. They are both significantly improved by the equalization, the HD700 more so than the HD650. However, that's not to say they now sound the same The HD700 still sounds a significant margin better to me.

Both before and after equalization, the HD700's bass takes the HD650's to school, with more authority while remaining tight. From the curves, we can see the HD650 rolls off earlier. Despite the EQ, I suspect its drivers simply could not respond to the bass boost. In the treble, the HD650 still has a sort of haziness that makes violins sound smoother, less detailed than they should be. I feel that the HD700's after-equalization sound is top notch, perhaps besting the unequalized sound of some of the other top headphones I've heard, like the T1, Q701, PSB M4U2, LCD-3, and perhaps even my former favorite, the HD800, although I don't have those headphones handy for a re-comparison.

As for why there remains a subjective difference besides the bass, my only guess is the remaining slight differences in response, and differences above 10khz, whose measurement are known to be "BS" due to sensitivity to positional effects.

I'd welcome your thoughts and comments.

Aug 16, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 19
I like the objectivism seen here.  I have been playing around with some Graphical EQ in Foobar with my Denon AH-D2000.  It is hard to tell, but the digital EQ is ever so slightly coloring the sound beyond what I am setting for EQ.

I am starting to enjoy some slight EQ tweaks as it lends itself to reducing fatigue, brightness or darkness, and even sibilance in a headphone.

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #3 of 19
What I learned from this experience is that both measurements and listening are required for a proper equalization. The measurements were telling me where the issues are and what to try to correct, but the listening told me how much correction to apply. I wouldn't have arrived at the same settings by listening alone, nor by measuring alone.

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #4 of 19
I still cannot adequately EQ with the Graphical EQ in Foobar without noticing a hint of distortion.  This is with only lowering EQ relative to 0dB.  Sometimes it is subtly, but with tracks from James Brown I can hear the slight distortion.  This lead me to not utilize any digital EQ any further.

Sep 19, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #7 of 19
I tried out your settings for the Parametric EQ in JRiver with my own set of HD700s and HD650s. Loved both settings, and I do agree that the difference in much more pronounced in the HD700 than in the HD650.

It took a while for my ears to 'break-in' to the sound signature of the HD700, but once it did, I definitely thought the HD700 was the better headphone, with a couple of faults.

My two chief complaints about the 700 was the lack of bass impact (though I grew to love the tightness and detail of the bass), and the sharp treble peak at around 6-8KHz. I sorta fixed the treble issue with JRivers Graphic equalizer by setting the 6Khz bar down about 2dbs, but I still had occasional nasty peaks, and setting the EQ at this frequency any lower impacted the sound of music too much. These Parametric EQ settings have soundly fixed both problems, and now the bass has more impact, is still just as controlled and tight, and the overall sound is more rich with only the slightest hint of the treble peak.

Although I did adjust both the 38Hz and 50Hz settings to +3.2db and +4.0db respectively as I noticed that on certain recordings, the bass tended to pop the headphones a bit.

May 26, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #8 of 19
Thanks alot JNS. I am very happy with HD700 but the siblance was really penetrating and even painful sometimes. The bass was always good but i just noticed that with your EQ settings the bass sounds so much better. It has much more impact and my HD700 are alot more enoyable now. I created this account just to thank you though i guess i will use it again someday.

EDIT: Haven't had the bass problems yet which BruinAnteater has. But maybe i am listenting to music more silently. I am also using APO Equlizer with my Xonar Essence STX. Works like a charm.

Feb 13, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #9 of 19
@JMS Thank you for taking the time and effort to do this.  I am from the future.  This thread deserves more attention than it has gotten so far.

DISCLAIMER: This isn't meant to fix anything with our HD700, rather just something to play around with.  You may or may not prefer the sound.

I plugged the numbers provided into Peace, GUI for Equalizer APO.  Screenshot (open in new tab for full-size):

You can either manually copy the settings from the screenshot (don't forget the preamp) or import the .peace file linked below.

Download link for the .peace file.
Download link for Equalizer APO.
Download link for Peace, GUI for Equalizer APO.

This obviously won't work if outputting via WASAPI/ASIO but it's system-wide, which is nice.  If someone notices I messed something up, please let me know.

Hopefully someone finds this useful.  Yes, I'm a cat fancier.

EDIT: Heard clipping with -5db preamp, changed to -8db.

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #10 of 19
  @JMS Thank you for taking the time and effort to do this.  I am from the future.  This thread deserves more attention than it has gotten so far.

DISCLAIMER: This isn't meant to fix anything with our HD700, rather just something to play around with.  You may or may not prefer the sound.

I plugged the numbers provided into Peace, GUI for Equalizer APO.  Screenshot (open in new tab for full-size):

You can either manually copy the settings from the screenshot (don't forget the preamp) or import the .peace file linked below.

Download link for the .peace file.
Download link for Equalizer APO.
Download link for Peace, GUI for Equalizer APO.

This obviously won't work if outputting via WASAPI/ASIO but it's system-wide, which is nice.  If someone notices I messed something up, please let me know.

Hopefully someone finds this useful.  Yes, I'm a cat fancier.

EDIT: Heard clipping with -5db preamp, changed to -8db.

Have you tried APO's included Editor.exe in C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO? Its features are more flexible, and it also tells you the output level so you know what gain to set.

Mar 22, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #11 of 19
  Have you tried APO's included Editor.exe in C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO? Its features are more flexible, and it also tells you the output level so you know what gain to set.

That's all I used for playing with EQ before I tried Peace GUI.  It's actually quite amazing how far soft-EQing has come in recent years, it can be quite accurate as well as fun!

Mar 22, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #12 of 19
I find this thread fascinating as I recently made my first post regarding my disappointment with the brightness of my HD700s.  I am a novice and barely computer literate.  So, let me ask:  does the equalization described in this thread involve use of a computer?  Is it possible to achieve this result instead by purchase of an equalizer (separate component, not computer app or download), either as part of a headphone amp or separate component?  If so, what equalizer is recommended and what settings are recommended to reduce brightness in HD 700s?

Many thanks.

Mark

Mar 23, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #13 of 19
beerchug.gif
 using the HD650 setting with Peace. Perfection. Ty.

Mar 24, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #14 of 19
  I find this thread fascinating as I recently made my first post regarding my disappointment with the brightness of my HD700s.  I am a novice and barely computer literate.  So, let me ask:  does the equalization described in this thread involve use of a computer?  Is it possible to achieve this result instead by purchase of an equalizer (separate component, not computer app or download), either as part of a headphone amp or separate component?  If so, what equalizer is recommended and what settings are recommended to reduce brightness in HD 700s?

Many thanks.

Mark

The Kameleon amplifier is a headphone amp with swapable equalizer modules that are custom made for each headphone. It's very good at taming peaks and extending bass. There's no EQ module for HD700 yet, but Kameleon is something worth noting. It was created by solderdude on DIY Audio Heaven. I haven't heard it; I just think it's a nice idea. Product page ; forum thread
Analog parametric or graphic equalizers are very big and good ones are expensive.
Other solutions, such as digital equalizers, often require a computer to set up.

Jul 21, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #15 of 19
I tried first the software JMS was talking about and I got really lost there. Then I read your post, downloaded everything, imported the topic creator equalizer's settings and great balls of fire, did the sound came out way better. No more brightness. I'm using it plugged to a Asus Xonar Essence STX, set to high gain (there's normal, high and ultra high), and FLAT sound coming from its equalizer software. When I bought the HD 700 in 2014 I was using the iTunes slider at 90%, and I moved a bit the sliders on the STX software to try tamming a bit the treble. But now setting everything to default and applying what's presented in this thread made the HD 700 trully shine for my taste. I couldn't find how to make it work with equalizer anywhere online but here, and I was looking into it years later because I bought a JVC HA-FX750 in a recent trip to S. Korea and after getting used to it I started disliking my Senns. Not the case anymore, at all. Thanks a bunch for yours and JMS's imput. Just made my day.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back