Me wants info
Feb 18, 2003 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jan

New Head-Fier
hi guys,
I'm trying to get information on portable audio. Where can I, your average complete idiot, get some information in a way that I understand so I can really compare products? The stuff you talk about is often already too technical for poor old me. I just need some info on what I should look for when comparing products on a moron level. Any magazines/websites/people/shops you recommend. Maybe you can point to some layman's terms I can look for?

thanks

Jan

Feb 18, 2003 at 3:50 PM Post #2 of 14
Ask away!
We can be quite simple if you want us to be!
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2003 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 14
Looks like you'd get what you want more quickly if you just give us a price range and ask for recommendations. What do you need to buy, headphones, portable player, both? BTW, a word of advice, you could use some therapy for that huge inferiority complex of yours
eek.gif
Never saw somebody talk down on himself like that.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 19, 2003 at 8:39 AM Post #5 of 14
Well, the thing is I've heared of digital speakers and software enhancement, that give great sound, but I don't know what the "magic words" are that I should look for. For a computer I know that I can trust Intel and AMD Athlon and should look at features like cd (re)writer and memory, for portable audio and headphones I have no idea. Money is not the issue, I just want to be able to judge the stuff in shops myself and still get value for money. By the way I DO know that I kick unbelievable ass, this is my therapy against technofear. In fact: I rock.

Jan

Feb 19, 2003 at 9:52 AM Post #6 of 14
But what are you looking for?
CD player, MD player or something that plays mp3?
Where do you plan to use it for? Exercise or school/work envirionment?

Be a bit more specific.

Feb 19, 2003 at 10:30 AM Post #7 of 14
Before I forget again, thanks for your responses .
I'm looking for an mp3 or harddisk player and headphones to go with that, but which should also fit a home theatre (if I'm ever going to buy one, info on that is welcome as well) or TVset. Not really sure whether I'm gonna go for easy to carry around, greatest sound or something in between. I don't really care about price as long as I'm not being ripped off, paying for a brand name or something. I would like to find out what the keywords or names are to look for. I heared something about digital speakers, but I'm not sure whether that is just integrated in home theatres and such.

thanks.

Jan

ps. hmmmm, did I just add a question, instead of finding an answer?

Feb 19, 2003 at 10:38 AM Post #8 of 14
Don't compare audio equipment with computer hardware, audio is something personal. People here will help you narrow down your choices but you have to make the final decision to choose the sound that suits you best by trying them if possible. Where as computer choices is mostly (not always) based on speed, performance and price.

Feb 19, 2003 at 10:42 AM Post #9 of 14
The ipod or creative jukebox 3 and Zen I suppose. Can't help you more since I don't own any of them. Specify the headphones you want (earbuds, closed, open, portability?)

Feb 19, 2003 at 11:43 AM Post #10 of 14
I'm not looking for earbuds, for the rest I'm very open to all kinds of suggestions, however:

I'm not looking for the final sollution from your side as in:"you should buy this brand, that type". I want to be able to shop for it myself, without being completely dependent on the direction a salesdude(tte) points me in. I want to be able to describe features to that salesperson and understand what he/she is talking about so I don't end up following his preferences and I want to understand why I am buying this player/speaker system/headphone. What would you look for, when you are looking at the new product line that you haven't seen before. Maybe you could also let me know what other sources you consult besides this very cool website to get info.
greetings
Jan

Feb 19, 2003 at 12:48 PM Post #11 of 14
Hi Jan,

Muzikk just named three options in harddrive mp3 players.
Remember those names. You might want to look on the web for specs on them.

But your choices are not limited with harddrive players.
You can also choose (kiezen [size=xx-small]ik vertaal ff de woorden waarvan ik niet zeker ben/ I'm translating or adding somethings into dutch if I feel I can explain it better[/size] ) other medium (mp3 geluidsdragers) which plays mp3.

There are, as mentioned before, harddrive player; mp3cd player and flash memory players.
Mp3 cd player come in the size of a normal disman or 8 cm CD's. Making the player smaller. 8cm CD's are little CD's (doorsnee 8cm) where you can put on about 200 MB.

Flash players work with internal flash memory or/and flash memory cards. This sort of memory is expensive.
The pre's (voordelen) of these players is that they are small and don't skip cause there are no moving parts.

Harddrive players have the most memory 10-20 GB. But are also a bit expansive
mp3 CD players are cheap and you can exchange CD's easy. (700MB on just one CD or about 200MB on a 8cm cd.)

Here are some Dutch store's who sell most mp3CDplayers and Flash players.
Have a look around and see what's availeble
(stay clear from Napa an Duex players, they're cheap for a reason)

http://www.mp3spelers.nl
http://www.mp3man.nl
http://www.mmport.nl
http://www.mp3shopper.nl

Feb 19, 2003 at 1:05 PM Post #12 of 14
I own the Archos Studio Jukebox 20 MP3 player. Love it to death. I thought my Panisonic portable CD player sounded good, but the archos kicks the pants off it.

I rip all my CD's to Uberstandard (which is 100% true CD quality mp3/ogg rips) and upload them to my Archos Jukebox. I was almost going to get the Creative labs, but you had to use it's little software or you had to buy the Notmad Explorer software for $30 just to be able to simply drag and drop files to the player. A bunch of little things made me sway from the Creative's Jukebox 3 player. Price was also a big thing.

I got the Archos Jukebox for $199 at bestbuy.com with free ground UPS shipping. With tax and extra feeds, $215 total. Pretty good deal. Deal is still around too.

As for what I personally recomend for headphone use and this differs greatly from person to person. I own the Sennhieser HD 590 headphones. I demo'ed the Sennheiser HD 580 headphones and yes they did rock, but being I didn't want to buy an amp at the time, I knew the HD 590 were the better choice for me, for my particular use. The HD 590 sound lighter then the HD 580s and are much easier to drive.

Now those headphones of course are for home use, you would be a fool to take them outside. They are very big, but also very comfy and the sound is really nice.

Read some reviews, learn the popular brands. I happen to be a Sennheiser person myself. I like the looks of the headphones, the comfort is unbelievable and the sound is really bitchin.

I also own a home theater stereo reciever and decent speakers. You can always look on Cnet.com and see the reviews for such things. Try to look for paterns, see what brands keep poping up.

There is no need to go all out just yet. Get one or two componets at a time. I'd say start off with a good pair of headphones and a good source. Either a MP3 player or a CD player. Plan on spending about $200+ bucks for your player and about the same price for your headphones. So say $450.

Whats your actual price range and what really are you looking for? Just can't decide?... try to think what are you striving for? Home use; ultra bitchin sound? or Super Cool; ultra hip portable gear.

I opted for bitchin sound that can still be semi-portable, nothing for joggin, but something I can take with me if I go to the cabins for the weekend or stay the night at a buddy's house.

The portable path:
CD player/MP3 Player = $200 - $600
Portable headphones = $25 - $200
Headphone Amp = $80 - $300 - $$$; (no limit)
Cables = $20 - $100 = $$$; (no limit)

The Home path:
CD player/DVD player/SACD player = $200 - $400 - $$$
Audiophile Headphones = $200 - $500
Headphone amp = $200 - $6,000 - $$$
Stereo Reciever = $300 - $$$; (no limit)
Speakers = $100 each - $$$ each; (no limit)
Portable MP3 player = $200 - $600
Cables = $20 - $100 - $$$; (no limit)

Just pick what you want and what you can spend. Make yourself a little check off list. Then list it to what you think is more important. First. what do you want, cd player, amp, reciever, dvd, etc... what and where will you use it...then what price you willing to spend...then what brands do you prefer, then start asking for advice.

Hope this helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2003 at 1:11 PM Post #13 of 14
As for headphones.

The best thing you can do is let these guys here advise you on your options.
It is best if you tell us what you plan to use it for. What music you listen to?
This way you can go to the store, with a list of what you possibly want to get and decide there what suites you best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back