Me want to upgrade, but need help
Apr 11, 2006 at 8:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Mr.Shadow

500+ Head-Fier
Ok, So I just got off the CD3K i was listening to, I think they dont fit my likings, all my rock/metal recordings sounded far/vail and not as I wanted, drums were good and all, but the overall sound reprodcution was lacking in something, I cant particulary say what.

Now I am thinking on something else, but I dont know what I will like.
As far as I see it, my options are: SA5000, K701, Audio Technica (something, maybe 2000 Air or I dont have a clue) , Hp-2, PS1 (if I will go crazy enough) K 1000 on second hand might consider as well...
I dont think I will buy the RS-1, after listening to the RS-2 a while back and having the HF-1 I think this buy would bee pointless considering the RS-1 price.

So Throw In some more cans if you can think of any, try to think what I might like (hint, **my sig**).
Consider that I am a metal/rock listener, mainly.
Budget is not exactly defined, but as you can see he is quite decent.

Thanks.

Apr 11, 2006 at 12:52 PM Post #2 of 8
Hope you can find a decent one.
rolleyes.gif

Up~

Apr 11, 2006 at 1:23 PM Post #4 of 8
Okay, if you find the CD3Ks veiled this is a tough one. What exactly don't you like about them?
Do you like the HF-1s? Just as a guess I'd say the CD3Ks might be a bit bright, but I'd think the HF-1s would be better. If you want more weight you're on the right track with SA5000 and K701. You might also look at the MS2i.
Good luck.

Apr 11, 2006 at 3:08 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
There is no perfect sound. Trust me.

Who said perfect ?
I am looking for something better ! to upgrade !, as I said.
I know there is no such thing as perfect, every piece of equipment is a collection of compromises, that is the best thing I can describe my opinion, and of course the bottom line is, which compromises you are able to live with.
about the CD3K:
1. I still think there is something wrong with them, so it might be the main reason for me not licking them.
2. the recording lacked the live sound that I wished for, they presented some of the instruments, a bit far, especially guitars. Drums were very "visible" but they didn't produced a round and deep sound as I hoped for.
It was lacking a bit on the punch side, where grado's mid bass, is so tight and punchy, the CD3k was not as tight, nor as punchy. and it bothered me.
All in all, I felt something was missing, or not fitting, or lack of cohesive image.

As for my demands, I like the sound very dynamic, where some guitar solos are faded somwehere in the background where the big guitar riffs take over them, and it bothers me, I want every thing to come alive, and presented, I dont like the sound too far, it bothers me, unless the image is kept in a proper way.
Soundstage is a nice plus for me, I am not a Soundstage freak.
Detail, Micro and Macro, are very important.
Bass, Deep, Tight, Punchy.
Mids, smooth, perfered to be neutral and not colored, and not in the foreground or in the ackground of the rest of the spectrum.
highs, not too harsh, i prefer a less detailed and harsh terible than a sharp and detialed one.
bright phones are not my problem, as you can see I won both Grado and Beyr 880 which both, can not be described as not bright.
I basicly prefer openb vs. closed cans, but still open to suggestions.
All in all, my problem is that I cant listen to most of thise phones, cuse I live in Israel and they are not availbale here.
thanks to all of you who are helping and reading.

Apr 11, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #6 of 8
I think you might want to check out the Ultrasone Proline 650s. I think you would be very happy with the sound of those. Nice deep bass, smooth mids, detailed but not overly bright and they are great for guitars. They have an overall warm sound that I find very nice. I believe this is the distributor in Israel

http://www.bettybam.com

Apr 11, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 8
I think I'll pass on the Ultrasone themick.

Now seriously guys, I think my main options are the SA5000, some of the AT models (W1000, W100, 2000 Air, 2002JPN !?) which I dont really know in detail except for the AT900 that I heared, and the AKG 701.

Opinions about them considering Metal/Rock music and the definitions/my likes I mentioned before will be gladly welcome.

And of course any other option will be gladly welcome too.

Apr 11, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #8 of 8
I think the cans you have are fine for metal and rock, honestly. You don't need better resolution and you can't really beat grado impact. If anything, I'd suggest something like PS1s, but it's not really necessary. Just enjoy your music, and maybe upgrade your source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back