Me playing some pieces (piano).
Nov 29, 2006 at 8:35 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by puiah11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I disagree with the Ashkenazy point. He is a pretty decent conductor. He has good piano knowledge, but is kinda meh on playing. Imo.

Hey do you have any intent on playing any Concertos? I'd love to hear you play Rachmininov 4 or List A or B (I think there's two only). I forget.

I understand what you mean about the technical stuff rather than emotive.

I've never really heard of that approach before.

When I mentioned Ashkenazy I was referring of how articulate and clear he plays, supreme really. His interpretations are regular for a pianist of that caliber, Murray Perahia is much better for example (I love him).
I intend to study piano concertos in the future, I guess in 2 or 3 years, once I have the level to do so. I always wanted to play Chopin Etudes, Liszt Etudes, Rachmanninov's 2 and 3rd concerto, Brahms chamber music (so marvelous!) and many others.

Do you know the Godowsky studies on the Chopin Etudes?
Those things are crazy hard, full of notes, some are very nice (like variations on Op.10 No.5). Listen to Marc-Andre Hamelin's recordings or Jorge Bolet's.

Also, if you don't mind visiting youtube, watch Cziffra play the Grand Galope Chromatique, man that thing's a hell of notes and jumps!

Nov 29, 2006 at 8:56 AM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aryolkary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I mentioned Ashkenazy I was referring of how articulate and clear he plays, supreme really. His interpretations are regular for a pianist of that caliber, Murray Perahia is much better for example (I love him).
I intend to study piano concertos in the future, I guess in 2 or 3 years, once I have the level to do so. I always wanted to play Chopin Etudes, Liszt Etudes, Rachmanninov's 2 and 3rd concerto, Brahms chamber music (so marvelous!) and many others.

Do you know the Godowsky studies on the Chopin Etudes?
Those things are crazy hard, full of notes, some are very nice (like variations on Op.10 No.5). Listen to Marc-Andre Hamelin's recordings or Jorge Bolet's.

Also, if you don't mind visiting youtube, watch Cziffra play the Grand Galope Chromatique, man that thing's a hell of notes and jumps!

Sweet! Thanks for the youtube recommendation.

No. Never heard of the Godowsky studies.

Quote:

or interweaving two etudes, with the left hand playing one and the right hand the other (as impossible as this seems). These are so taxing even for virtuosi that only five have ventured to record the entire set:

OK! now I see what you're saying. Wow. Def. have to check those out. =)

I know what it it's like, some of these people can play like it's nothing and it's just like they are saying how simple it is with every second of their recordings.

The most insane chopin recording I have ever heard is this one by Maurizio Pollini.

I don't know if it's a re-issue as it sounds a little different than I remember. I dunno.

Here's a WAV link if you want to hear.

Are you planning on fame and glory? Sounds like you can have a good career if you keep on it. I know a bad piano can be frustrating. I always find myself sneaking into concert halls or just sneaking into places where there's a grand and then playing until someone says 'what are you doing here?' That happens a lot.

Nov 29, 2006 at 9:21 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aryolkary /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just checked that out. Honestly, it really doesn't seem too difficult. I talking out of my ass, but compared to other pieces I really can't say much. But!

At a time mark of 1:36 is where it really gets interesting. That's the beauty of Liszt. Mostly just show though with 1/2 of his music. Liszt is my favourite piano man. I mostly only play him now-a-days (got started back in 1999 with his Harmonies Poétiques et Religieuses which I have almost finished).

I've been trying to master the Listz's mephisto waltz No. 1 for the last few years. There's just one part that always kills me. Impossible! My hands just turn to mud.

I was first inspired by listening to Horowitz on this recording.

None can match Vlad. It's unspeakable what he does.

Ok, enough piano for tonight.

See, once I get started I can't stop. =) Bye.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...tz+No.+1&hl=en

Nov 29, 2006 at 10:05 AM Post #19 of 20
Bloody pianos
biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2006 at 11:43 AM Post #20 of 20
I will be auditioning for conservatory in february. I will upload my audition repretoire when I feel they are 100% ready. My audition pieces are:

Bach Prelude and Fuge XX WTC Book 2
Chopin Etude 10/9
Beethoven "Tempest" Sonata No. 17 in d minor

Yamaha's are the best for Bach but horrible for Chopin. They are servicable for Beethoven. Just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back