Me playing some pieces (piano).
Nov 29, 2006 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Aryolkary

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I thought some of you may like to hear what I'm studying practising.

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bi...ic/29/264.html

If you have some versions of the Chopin Etudes Op10 No.1 and No.4 you can compare the articulation but keeping in mind it's not the same when NOT using pedal and, the Yamaha sound is bright and metallic (therefore making it more likely to sound more articulate than a german piano).

I suppose I'll record again in a few months, a year, once I have worked on some other element than articulation (evennes of sound, right tempo, dynamics, etc.)

It's funny how different it sounds from the real thing. It makes the whole audiophilia take a different turn (for me of course).

Nov 29, 2006 at 7:13 AM Post #2 of 20
Finally, someone on head-fi who plays piano!

Re: Moonlight sonata 3rd

Is the tempo marking for Moonlight Sonata III presto or prestisimo? I forget.

Yeah, that part after the arpegiations at the begining is a b**** to play. =)

I'm surprised you take a more classical approach to the music. I usually use more pedal and attempt to create a more languid and sinister sound (more romantic).

I like your interpretation. Your portato is nice and at times perfect. It needs more characteristic soul. Now it sounds more like a textbook playing. If you follow.

Re: Op10 No4 B.mp3
Aaaaaaa. Stay on tempo! Yet still impressive. Who is the composer? Is it all Beethoven? (Chopin?)

I specifically downloaded the B (major) version to see how you do with a odd key with a lot of black action.

Sounds good.

Thanks for sharing.

Nov 29, 2006 at 7:41 AM Post #3 of 20
Moonlight Sonata 3

During that first part with the arpeggios, I think your left hand should be a bit more audible. We can hear your pinkie play, but we can't hear your thumb. And I agree with puiah about that part after the arpeggios. Very hard part to play. Try to keep it on tempo, however hard it is.

Other than that, you sound very good, a lot better than when I played that song anyway. I too went with a more pedal-y sound. Listening to your version made me finally understand why Vladimir Horowitz played it that way. No pedal, very succinct, light, bouncy and quick.

Nov 29, 2006 at 7:42 AM Post #4 of 20
Another Piano-Fi here.

Yes I have decided on my next piano. Steinway 7.5 ft concert grand
wink.gif
yum..
time to save up for that big house (I mean listening room)...LOL

Nov 29, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by puiah11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally, someone on head-fi who plays piano!

Re: Moonlight sonata 3rd

Is the tempo marking for Moonlight Sonata III presto or prestisimo? I forget.

Yeah, that part after the arpegiations at the begining is a b**** to play. =)

I'm surprised you take a more classical approach to the music. I usually use more pedal and attempt to create a more languid and sinister sound (more romantic).

I like your interpretation. Your portato is nice and at times perfect. It needs more characteristic soul. Now it sounds more like a textbook playing. If you follow.

Re: Op10 No4 B.mp3
Aaaaaaa. Stay on tempo! Yet still impressive. Who is the composer? Is it all Beethoven? (Chopin?)

I specifically downloaded the B (major) version to see how you do with a odd key with a lot of black action.

Sounds good.

Thanks for sharing.

Hi, I'm glad you like it.
No offense, but have you studied music or an instrument?
The Etudes op.10 and op.25 are Chopin's. The B stands for version B (not in the score, meaning I put it B since I played many times in different ways). For example the D or E version has pedal and some interpretation, instead A, B and C lack pedal and attempt to be mechanical.
As I had mentioned, I didn't study interpretation almost (phrasing, dynamics, etc.). Only a little on the Op.10 No.1, the rest is only partly studied (notes, articulation, but still lacking perfect tempo, evenness, etc.).
I think Grigory Sokolov, Vladimir Ashkenazy, Krystian Zimerman, Lazar Berman and Gyorgy Cziffra are the most clear-articulate sounding pianists. I want to achieve that level and I know I will, but that's nothing compared to the rest of elements to be mastered (dynamics, etc. and the most important of all: "tone").

Greetings,
Ary

Nov 29, 2006 at 7:52 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Moonlight Sonata 3

During that first part with the arpeggios, I think your left hand should be a bit more audible. We can hear your pinkie play, but we can't hear your thumb. And I agree with puiah about that part after the arpeggios. Very hard part to play. Try to keep it on tempo, however hard it is.

Other than that, you sound very good, a lot better than when I played that song anyway. I too went with a more pedal-y sound. Listening to your version made me finally understand why Vladimir Horowitz played it that way. No pedal, very succinct, light, bouncy and quick.

Hi,
actually as I mentioned, I didn't study the interpretation (dynamics, phrasing, etc.). As I didn't have enough time to play it twice, I decided to at least play it with some expression. I usually play it 100% mechanical, lifeless. When you comment my slowing down after the first arpeggios, that's on purpose. I study all these pieces like if it were a Czerny study, strictly mechanical. This is because I am in a special case, I want to advance technically faster than interpretatively since I will have all of my life to work on that (timbre, tone, interpretation). But I need to "finish" the technical study soon (4, 5 years) meaning, achieving the level where one can play any opus, and mostly important, one could stop playing for some years and then take it back (if I did that know, in the future I wouldn't be able).

I think, in this case, the piano being a Yamaha C5 (which itself has a brightish and metallic sound) together with the little pedal effect it had in its room (when I pressed it to the bottom it didn't sound as messy as I wanted), and that I played everything mostly stacatto, made the parts that have pedal sound much less pedally. Anyway in some pieces that's my intention, for example Sokolov uses littlet pedal in his versions of the Op.25 Chopin etudes.

Greetings,
Ary

Nov 29, 2006 at 7:52 AM Post #7 of 20
That's all you can do on a Yamaha. I absolutely hate it as I can't really get the dynamic/emotion I want to achieve. I always avoid using Yamaha to practice if I can...I always seem to go for the Baldwins. LMAO.

Are you 1st year Piano major? I think in 4 years you can do Ballades and Sonatas
wink.gif

I remember one of the requirement for piano performance master was a Ballades I think the 1st one. ouch..hard stuff man
wink.gif
I am halfway through learning...it's a finger exercise in sheer frustration...LOL
I am not piano major, I got one of the MS student as my mentor and he was telling me all sorts of stuff..like practice for 6hrs a day min...LOL...

Nov 29, 2006 at 7:59 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's all you can do on a Yamaha. I absolutely hate it as I can't really get the dynamic/emotion I want to achieve. I always avoid using Yamaha to practice if I can...I always seem to go for the Baldwins. LMAO.

Are you 1st year Piano major?

Hi,
that's the only 1/2 grand piano I have to practise on (twice a week). It's at the University where my teacher works (he is the deane of the Musical Arts career there).
I'd love to play on a german grand.
I don't know how the grades compare here and there, anyway I never went to the conservartory (very bad over here), always had private teachers.
I studied since I was a little child (8 or so) but not much, and left and returned many times over the years. Now I am 19 and playing 7hs a day and gonna reach 8hs. Not all of a sudden, I went adding time progressively since I retook the piano (when turned 18).
Right now I'm also studying the etude Op.10 No.12 (revolutionary etude) and the Apassionata Sonata (Beethoven for those who don't know it). My teacher told me to go getting into some serious hard stuff (at least they look like that):
Schumann's Fantasie
Bach's Goldberg Variations
Debussy Preludes (some I don't remember which ones)

I think it would be most appropiate to link some less emotive playing with this Yamaha. For example listen to the Arpegios or Minimalista 1 or Escalas or Op.10 No.1 C or No.4 B.

Greetings,
Ary

Nov 29, 2006 at 8:03 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aryolkary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,
that's the only 1/2 grand piano I have to practise on (twice a week). It's at the University where my teacher works (he is the decane.
I don't know how the grades compare here and there, anyway I never went to the conservartory (very bad over here), always had private teachers.
I studied since I was a little child (8 or so) but not much, and left and returned many times over the years. Now I am 19 and playing 7hs a day and gonna reach 8hs. Not all of a sudden, I went adding time progressively since I retook the piano (when turned 18).

I think it would be most appropiate to link some less emotive playing with this Yamaha. For example listen to the Arpegios or Minimalista 1 or Escalas or Op.10 No.1 C or No.4 B.

Greetings,
Ary

Yamaha sometime is good for practice. Besides I hate the sound, you probably know that already, I always try to play those fast finger exercise on Yamaha. If I can do well on Yamaha I can do well on other stuff. Although I find Steinway's key quite heavy compare to Yamaha, so whatever what's better than practice on the concert stuff?
orphsmile.gif

Nov 29, 2006 at 8:05 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Hi,
that's the only 1/2 grand piano I have to practise on (twice a week). It's at the University where my teacher works (he is the deane of the Musical Arts career there).
Right now I'm also studying the etude Op.10 No.12 (revolutionary etude) and the Apassionata Sonata (Beethoven for those who don't know it). My teacher told me to go getting into some serious hard stuff (at least they look like that):
Schumann's Fantasie
Bach's Goldberg Variations
Debussy Preludes (some I don't remember which ones)

Greetings,
Ary

have fun with Bach! Not easy..but not super hard once you get to the next level. Debussy is fun to play. NO YAMAHA for Debussy!
3000smile.gif
You will cry if you know how good Debussy sounds on Steinway...the thing just flows.

Nov 29, 2006 at 8:11 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

have fun with Bach! Not easy..but not super hard once you get to the next level. Debussy is fun to play. NO YAMAHA for Debussy!
3000smile.gif
You will cry if you know how good Debussy sounds on Steinway...the thing just flows.

Hey, I love Bach. You can see in the link I improvise in "baroque" (eventhough sometimes it turns out worse than others). I love Debussy (in the past I studied the "Chidren's corner" book). I'd love to play on a great grand like a Steinway, maybe in the future if I get to play somewhere public.
I want to add I'm not happy about the piano I have at home, it's a horrible upright, terrible condition, way too untuned. So in comparison, the Yamaha sounds like marvels. Not to mention the action's different...

For those who know nothing about minimalist music, take a look at Philip Glass and Steve Reich, my favourites.

Greetings,
Ary

Nov 29, 2006 at 8:16 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Hi, I'm glad you like it.
No offense, but have you studied music or an instrument?

Yeah, it is neat-o. Yes. I studied piano for a long time but decided to major in business administration instead. I considered piano major.
Quote:

The Etudes op.10 and op.25 are Chopin's. The B stands for version B (not in the score, meaning I put it B since I played many times in different ways).

OH!!! I see. B means version B. I thought it meant B (major).
Quote:

I think Grigory Sokolov, Vladimir Ashkenazy, Krystian Zimerman, Lazar Berman and Gyorgy Cziffra are the most clear-articulate sounding pianists. I want to achieve that level and I know I will, but that's nothing compared to the rest of elements to be mastered (dynamics, etc. and the most important of all: "tone").

Yeah, getting a individual tone is hard if you're still trying to get the music under your hands. I honestly don't know how some people do it. I think it's just practice and time.

I disagree with the Ashkenazy point. He is a pretty decent conductor. He has good piano knowledge, but is kinda meh on playing. Imo.

Chopin master is Artur Rubenstin. Check out some of his Chopin recordings.

I know that I'm a little harsh in criticism. I'd expect the same from others. =)

- -

Hey do you have any intent on playing any Concertos? I'd love to hear you play Rachmininov 4 or List A or B (I think there's two only). I forget.

I understand what you mean about the technical stuff rather than emotive.

I've never really heard of that approach before.

Nov 29, 2006 at 8:23 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by puiah11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, it is neat-o. Yes. I studied piano for a long time but decided to major in business administration instead. I considered piano major.

OH!!! I see. B means version B. I thought it meant B (major).

Yeah, getting a individual tone is hard if you're still trying to get the music under your hands. I honestly don't know how some people do it. I think it's just practice and time.

I disagree with the Ashkenazy point. He is a pretty decent conductor. He has good piano knowledge, but is kinda meh on playing. Imo.

Chopin master is Artur Rubenstin. Check out some of his Chopin recordings.

I know that I'm a little harsh in criticism. I'd expect the same from others. =)

Hey, have you listened to the pianists I mentioned? In my opinion, Rubinstein's tone is the most beautiful when it comes to Chopin. But it's too bad he didn't record the Etudes. I don't remember much but I think I prefer Sokolov's preludes over Rubinstein's.

Regarding tone, I think EVERYTHING is at the service of tone (timbre). I think everything has to be mastered so tone can be worked on until sublime sound is achieved. This is an eternal task, but I think it's gonna be easier and faster, if I first master the technical elements first, and then dedicate fully to tone (looking for the right marvelous sond for each note). Of course one must go studying dynamics and expression, but I mean on a very concentrated way of studying (like what I've been doing with stacatto and articulation -listen to Minimalista 1 or Arpegios to get the idea).

Greetings,
Ary

Nov 29, 2006 at 8:26 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Are you 1st year Piano major? I think in 4 years you can do Ballades and Sonatas
wink.gif

I remember one of the requirement for piano performance master was a Ballades I think the 1st one. ouch..hard stuff man
wink.gif
I am halfway through learning...it's a finger exercise in sheer frustration...LOL
I am not piano major, I got one of the MS student as my mentor and he was telling me all sorts of stuff..like practice for 6hrs a day min...LOL...

Yeah, I remember taking lessons 5 ish years ago (when I still studied regularly) from a German PhD (they have some german PhD equivalent) he had to get his PhD again in the USA for some reason.

He had me play these Brahms ballades. Man the fingering was freaking insane.

Basically it came to the point where I would need to practice like 24/7 to get any further. So, I became piano recluse. I only recently started playing again.

Not working on anything in particular. I hit up some Scriabin Sonatas but they were pretty easy on a first read. Need to find some Pre Post Modern russian stuff like the transcendental etudes (but impossible to play).

Cool you play too chesebert!

Funny, I never found yamaha offensive? Baldwin is ok, but muddy. Steinway is too dark. Never really found a fav.

Ta!

Nov 29, 2006 at 8:31 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Hey, have you listened to the pianists I mentioned?

Only Ashkenazy. Never heard of the others. I remember listening to his earlier concerto recordings and then his students recordgins. (He taught some french/canadian if I remember).

I've pretty much been on piano hiatus since ~2000. Didn't listen/study/or play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back