"Me Brain Hurts" ~ Looking for an Amp
Nov 22, 2008 at 7:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Signal2Noise

Headphoneus Supremus
Greetings! And advance apologies for kicking off my first post as a plea for suggestions. I've been doing searches here and elsewhere for info on headphone amps but am absolutely stumped at the moment. I was convinced by an audiophile friend to register here because I was too elite for iLounge with the questions I had
wink.gif

I want to take my audio listening to the 'next level'. I own a bunch of iPods (who doesn't) and recently purchased a 80GB Zune which is FANTASTIC in features and audio quality. For earphones I currently use a set of Shure E3C and Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro. While I'm happy with those I also had the opportunity to request a set of Shure SE530 for xmas this year. Actually, it was a toss up between the SE530 and UE Triple.Fi 10 Pros. After much self-debating and perusing reviews and user experiences I decided on the new Shures. They have been ordered and now I can't wait for Dec. 25! (I still have to act surprised, tho')
wink.gif

So, in conversation on a laptop forum one member (a Zune & Triple.fi owner) suggested I get a headphone amp for the SE530. However, I have read conflicting results on the use of an amp with IEMs and portable audio devices. Some say the amp helps depending on the quality of said amp while others say the amp will not make much of a difference unless I use can-type headphones.

So I guess that's the first question: Do I really need an amp? Perhaps I should wait for my new Shure's before I decide?

If I feel I need or want to try an amp then it brings me to the next query: Which one or type should I get? The forum dude I mentioned earlier suggest I get the Ray Samuels Hornet. When I checked it out on-line I must say I was/am impressed with the look and the reviews. Equally so with RSA's new P-51. Then through further research I began to stumble upon other amps of interest. Man, there are a plethora of amps out there! The other that has struck my fancy is the Headamp Pico but I am confused on how to go about ordering it. Only through the forum and the waiting list is long? Then there's the Headroom Micro but I'm not a big fan of the look as I am with the P-51, Hornet or Pico.

Once the amp is kind of decided upon I am faced with the option of a USB DAC model versus a standard amp. I plan to only use the amp only with my Zune or iPod(s). Is the DAC model designed with laptop or desktop computers in mind? Should I get a DAC version anyway? Also rechargeable battery or none? There is a Ray Samuels Tomahawk that is much cheaper in price and does not have a rechargeable battery. The description states the battery life is amazingly good.

And then lastly, the interconnect cable that goes b/w the player and the amp. Are they normally included with the amp? If not (or even if so) is there a preferred cable within the audio community I should be purchasing?

Again I apologise for the long-winded post. I will now go back to digging within these great forums to hopefully discover the answers to the questions above. But I figured it would be faster if I threw my queries out there.

So, thanks for taking the time to read and possibly respond to this.

Cheers!

Nov 22, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #2 of 20
well being new to head-fi myself but several steps ahead of you I'll give you some suggestions. The ibasso D3 and predator are the two tops for amp dac combos. Yes the dac is run between the computer, it replaces the soundcard of the computer, the pico does have a great dac section but folks seem to prefer the predator amp.

The P-51 is probably the best very portable mini standalone for the money right now and ray is doing a 50 preorder special.
If you don't need the DAC then go with the 51, it won't break the bank and Skylab puts it right at the top.

Interconnects are a whole other story solid silver is the way to go if you can afford it, as even the corrosion is a good conductor, not that way with copper. Plan for the long term. Research and ask questions.

Nov 22, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 20
Pauly, I really appreciate your reply and suggestions. After posting my query I stayed up until 2 a.m. browsing various threads here and visiting manufacturer's amp websites. I am indeed now leaning towards the P-51.

A further question about the interconnect....from where do I purchase said interconnect and what type? Do I go from the headphone out of my player to the amp or do I need a plug/dock type for the bottom of it?

Sorry again for being a n(b)oob.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 22, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #4 of 20
many sources for them I bought a qables silvercab pro Lod from sacd-man. It works quite well. ALO has some killer stuff. Mmwhats makes some nice silver cables.

I am currently having a 2 custom mini to mini solid silver interconnects made locally....I will get them next week and post feedback. I have also been talking with SACD-MAN and Craig is doing some SICK work right now and I suggest sending him a PM.

Nov 22, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #5 of 20
You don't need to go overboard on the cable, the length is too short for there to be significant difference and especially between copper and silver. If you want a pretty cable though that is good quality, there's quite a lot of variety out there.

Nov 24, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #6 of 20
There is not much difference but there is longevity (and investment), solid silver will always sound good, copper has the potential to corrode and cause sonic problems; likelihood slim but...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't need to go overboard on the cable, the length is too short for there to be significant difference and especially between copper and silver. If you want a pretty cable though that is good quality, there's quite a lot of variety out there.

Nov 24, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal2Noise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pauly, I really appreciate your reply and suggestions. After posting my query I stayed up until 2 a.m. browsing various threads here and visiting manufacturer's amp websites. I am indeed now leaning towards the P-51.

A further question about the interconnect....from where do I purchase said interconnect and what type? Do I go from the headphone out of my player to the amp or do I need a plug/dock type for the bottom of it?

Sorry again for being a n(b)oob.
smily_headphones1.gif

You may also want to check with Germania (a frequent contributor to this community). She has some Line Out Cables that are supposed to be very good and reasonably priced (IMHO).

Nov 25, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #8 of 20
The lineout cable I would need would be for the Zune. Which apparently can't be made yet due to Microsoft proprietism (sp?).

Thanks for all the advice so far, folks!

Nov 25, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #9 of 20
I'm not far ahead of you in the search for a high quality listening experience. I have found that my amp (Pico) helps me hear nuances that I haven't before - things like Donald Fagen's lisp (yeah, it's been there all along, just didn't hear it before). I'm currently using my Pico to listen to uncompressed files through Grado SR80's and enjoy it quite a bit. I don't think you can go wrong - especially with the 530's. With the iPods you will want to use an a LOD instead of the headphone jack. Good luck - you're in the right place to ask questions.

Nov 25, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #11 of 20
Though many IEM's can sound better with an amp, by and large IEM's sound fine without one. The differences you wil realize will be less than what you would see if you were considering other headphones (eg. RS-1's or PK-1's) with or without an amp.

Therefore, the best advice for an IEM user with a decent source is to get the best IEM's you can afford as this will maximize the potential sound quality. If I remember right, the Shures you got are equivalent to the old E500's, which I've used and thought were even a little better than my UE5c custom fit.

If you do decide to go the amp route, there are a lot of great amps out there. You mention the Hornet, which is a great little amp and can be found for less than $250 used these days (maybe cheaper when the P-51's come out). It's really hard to go wrong with any RS portable...though the SR71/SR71a is my personal favorite so far.

As far as the cable, I would march to Headroom and buy the <$20 cardas HP1 interconnect. It's an excellent cable and spending lots more offers only diminishing returns.

Nov 26, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #12 of 20
Wolfen, that is fantastic advice and insight. Thanks for that. I am still tempted to purchase an amp but will not rush into it. I'll likely wait until I get my new Shures.

Nov 26, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #13 of 20
Two years ago I bought a portable amp after reading some threads on this forum. I tried the amp with a variety of IEMs and my AKG K81DJs. I can't tell the difference for the most part.

Not sure if this has to do with having crappy headphones, crappy amplifier (Litte Dot Micro +) or being half deaf. I may need a mentor.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #14 of 20
Rec'd an email today from RSA in response to some queries I had about the Mustang. Basically Ray said if my DAP does not have a lineout then don't bother with an amp. I like Ray's honesty. So until Zune allow for LOD cables to be used or I find a better source my amp hunting will be suspended for a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back