MDR-XD200 vs HD201
Jun 17, 2005 at 4:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Jakets

500+ Head-Fier
Okay i have narrowed my cheap full size can choices down to these 2. I personally owned the hd201's, until i tried to shorten the cord and destroyed them. I liked the sound a lot, but im no Audiophile.. I listen to all my music at 128kb MP3 or cds. How are the XD200's? I really like the look of them a lot better, and they also seem to be a bit more portable. So, whats the scoop? Will i really notice a sound difference between the 2?
orphsmile.gif

Also do the XD200's have a cloth covered cord like the XD400's?

Jun 17, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #2 of 18
I remember there was a post about something like this a while back ago. Too lazy to dig for it tho...
But these two pairs of cans are natural enemies (closed, full size, cheap).

Jun 17, 2005 at 6:50 AM Post #5 of 18
Jun 17, 2005 at 7:28 AM Post #6 of 18
128kbps ABR, sure. 128kbps LAME is allright too, I suppose, but there's no telling what encoder Jakets's music files are from.

If you liked the HD201s, get 'em again! Sheesh! If it ain't broke...

Jun 17, 2005 at 7:43 AM Post #7 of 18
I just bought two HD201s (one for me. one for a friend) on impulse from buy.com using there free shipping deal. I will be sure to let everyone know how they sound.

Jun 17, 2005 at 8:12 AM Post #9 of 18
I convinced my friend to ditch his Sony ear buds (cheap, crappy blue earbuds that cost 14.99) and instead get the HD201s (I paid for half since I'm such a nice friend when it comes to audio)...
biggrin.gif

Anyway, he loves it a lot... he finds it a really good deal for the price. He brought it over and I listened to it.

My impressions:
- Balanced... the bass is quick and fast while the highs are not fatiguing. The midrange is just right as well.
- Clear. Instrument separation in quite good... not Sony SA5000 good, but quite good.
- Midrange is clean, not as good as the HD555, but a large jump from the uninvolving Sony ear buds.
- Did I say balanced sound???
- Bass is tight and quick AND it extends to about 30-35 hz with some authority (SAME as the HD555 and was tested using BASS tones (sine wave) from 20hz to 50hz sweep). There is some response until about 23-25 hz (Once again... SAME as the HD555).
- Lightweight.
- Did I forget to mention... balanced sound?? Neutral even??

Cons:
- If you eq. the bass... I hear distortion at loud volumes. This means the driver is hitting its limits (perhaps excursion limits?).
- Good but not as good as the HD555..... so NO, this isnt the best sub $100 can out there (if you count the ebay price of HD555 as justification to put the HD555 in the sub$100 bracket). <- I made this comment since I read a few posters say this is one of the best in the sub$100 category (it's not really a minus, more a comment).

Conclusion:
- Great for the money!
- Balanced and very neutral sounding.
- Tight bass.
- Lightweight.

Verdict:
- 5/5 stars for value
- 4.5/5 stars for sound at its price range

600smile.gif

Jun 17, 2005 at 8:19 AM Post #10 of 18
I would also like to point out that I listened to a song off my iPod with the HD201s and it actually made my hair stand up a bit (you know... that feeling you get when something great comes over you?). I was listening to a song off the Pearl Harbor soundtrack called When I Kissed Him. The violin popped out of nowhere and the HD201 reproduced it sooo well!

You have to realize that with my speakers... hardly anything gives me that kind of "raise my hair" type of feeling too often.

A BIG + for Team HD201!

Jun 17, 2005 at 8:26 AM Post #11 of 18
I own a pair of the XD400's as well as a pair of the HD 201's and if the comfort of the 200's is anything like that of the 400's then I would choose the 201's over the 200's any day. The Sony's are just not very comfortable over a long period even though they do sound quite nice. Sound for sound I give the edge to the Sony 400's over the 201's but not by much. The Sony's are slightly more natural sounding and not as muffled as the Senn's, but the 201's play a hell of a lot better straight out of the headphone jack of my iAudio M3. Add an amp and use the line out and the edge definitely goes to the Sony 400's but not by a big enough margin to justify the added expense of buying and carrying an amp. When you take into account that you're listening to a portable with MP3's recorded at 128kbps then the subtle difference is completely negated.

I have to come back to comfort and build quality. I can keep the 201's on my head for a good long time but the Sony's only last me an hour or so at the most. And while they feel like they're built fairly sturdy, the more complex design of the Sony's make them more susceptible to breakage, at least IMO they do.

Anyways, there's my $.02

Jun 17, 2005 at 3:04 PM Post #13 of 18
Not sure if best buy carries them... someone here posted that the hd201s are at compusa although at 34.99 or 39.99 - I forget which. However, my friend bought his from newegg.com for 22 + shipping. It tooks about 2 days to get here.

Jun 17, 2005 at 7:28 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
- If you eq. the bass... I hear distortion at loud volumes. This means the driver is hitting its limits (perhaps excursion limits?).

U sure it's not the amp clipping? These are only 24 ohms after all and want to see a bit of juice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back