MDR V6 vs Grado Harshness?
Aug 31, 2012 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Fuzziekiwi

1000+ Head-Fier
Opinions?

Aug 31, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #2 of 11
I never found the V6's to be all that harsh. They definitely do have a bit of a upper-mid/treble boost, but not nearly to the extent that like-priced Grados have.

Aug 31, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
I never found the V6's to be all that harsh. They definitely do have a bit of a upper-mid/treble boost, but not nearly to the extent that like-priced Grados have.

I know, I don't think they are really harsh. It's just on some specific recordings. I never tried a Grado though so I was wondering if it was the same or worse. 

Aug 31, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 11
Yeah, it can be quite a bit worse on a Grado.

I think for similarly priced headphones, the Koss Pro DJ100's are a good headphone without harshness. Or something like the AKG K81DJ's are impossible to be harsh, they are so dark sounding.

Aug 31, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #6 of 11
I think I am the only one on head-fi that dose not find grados harsh sounding 
confused_face_2.gif

Aug 31, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
Yeah, it can be quite a bit worse on a Grado.

I think for similarly priced headphones, the Koss Pro DJ100's are a good headphone without harshness. Or something like the AKG K81DJ's are impossible to be harsh, they are so dark sounding.

Haha I bought the V6, Dj100 and HD439 to compare and stayed with the V6 because of it has more punchy bass. The HD439, I just hated the dark nasty sound, not my type I guess.. When the DJ100 goes on sale for $50 I think I'm going to buy it again. It's sound stage is bigger than the V6's and the vocals are simply amazing. 

Aug 31, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
confused_face_2.gif

After lurking Head-fi for a few months, they seem to have a reputation for being harsh. I was wondering if the V6's harshness was comparable.

Aug 31, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
confused_face_2.gif

No, you're not... but... most have never heard the "real Grados" - driven by an amp and source that match their electical requirements (i.e.  very low impedence, and high output current).  So... they've only heard "distortion" through the Grados they tried, which is nothing like "real Grados"... which... sound the most like "real live music" of any phones available.  

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #10 of 11
Gradofan2 lol

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

No, you're not... but... most have never heard the "real Grados" - driven by an amp and source that match their electical requirements (i.e.  very low impedence, and high output current).  So... they've only heard "distortion" through the Grados they tried, which is nothing like "real Grados"... which... sound the most like "real live music" of any phones available.  

While I'm not going to agree (in writing, anyway) that Grado's "sound the most like 'real live music' of any phones available",
I do love their sound; have done for many years, and
I definitely don't think they're "harsh". 

Bright, but not harsh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back