MDR-V6 Scandal
Jun 7, 2006 at 5:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

misterV6

New Head-Fier
Maybe "scandal" is too strong a word, but as a long-standing V6 fan I feel betrayed by Sony for their distribution of an inferior product masquerading as the legendary MDR-V6!

Here's the story: I bought my first pair of V6's about 12 years ago and loved them for what I considered to be generally flat response with especially prominent bass. Within the last couple years it seemed as though they'd lost much of that low end, so when they developed a short in the wiring last November, I thanked them for their meritorious service and ordered a fresh pair from Amazon.

The new pair picked up where their predecessors left off, but didn't seem to have the low end output I expected. Maybe I imagined those thunderous basslines! I carried on, using the new V6's five or six hours a day for music, TV, DVD's, and anything else I could plug them into, but the memory of that bass still nagged at me.

Then, I visited a friend who bought a pair about four years ago and barely used them. They were bascially new old stock and perfect for an A/B with my current pair. I popped "Owner of a Lonely Heart" into the CD player figuring that its explosive rhythm content would help me detect any difference that existed. It was no contest. The older V6's were like a good Sub/Sat system, and the new ones were like a Sub/Sat system with the subwoofer disconnected.

I don't know what Sony did to alter/neuter the sound, but they obviously did something. I did a quick check of the MDR-V6 user reviews on Amazon and the two most recent entries both lead with "where's the bass?" Certainly not a query one would commonly associate with the V6's.

The only visible difference in the two versions is the cord: the vintage model is shiny, and the new model has a matte finish. Also, the old one maintained its coil better; the new one slacks a bit over time. Would a different cord be enough to change the character of the sound so completely? Maybe. I had a friend rewire an old pair with the closest gauge we could find and the result didn't compare favorably to either V6 incarnation.

Another thing! As mentioned by other posters here, I now get shocked through the ear pads. The old ones never did that.

Sadly, I dragged my feet on researching this until well past Sony's meager 90-day warranty, so I'll keep them as backup. But to what?

Maybe, finally, there is a legitimate dfference between the V6 and the 7506. Have any of you acquired 7506's recently and find them to be as bass-friendly as the older models? Or have you compared a new V6 to a new 7506?

Or should I just move on?

Jun 7, 2006 at 6:37 AM Post #2 of 19
It's Sony...ever hear of their plight of the PS3?
rolleyes.gif

Jun 7, 2006 at 9:50 AM Post #5 of 19
Perhaps you're just hearing the difference between the sound of a degraded (or should I say fully burned-in) driver and a new one. Headphone drivers will collect things such as body oils, absorb moisture and the diaphragm will degrade over time.

Jun 7, 2006 at 10:11 AM Post #6 of 19
I've heared rumours about general lack of quality since Sony products are assembled in Malaysia. One of the reason I wouldn't recommend Sony products to anybody. And I was a great Sony fanboy in the 80s.

Jun 7, 2006 at 10:33 AM Post #8 of 19
I bought my 7506 in February of this year and I can confirm that they are as you describe your old V6 "generally flat response with especially prominent bass". I've never heard the original V6 though so it might not be bass heavy to the same extent.

Hope that helps

Jun 7, 2006 at 12:22 PM Post #10 of 19
misterV6,

I had the same experience a couple of months ago, or rather, a similarly dissapointing experience replacing old workhorse v6's. I "lost" a pair of v6's that were about 6 years old, and replaced them with new v6's. They definitely have bass, but mostly a booming low, wobbly one, and they have highs, piercing, but without body, but the overall balance just seems terrible, despite tons of burn in. They actually sound like someone pushed the loudness button on the stereo (do they still have those?), bumping highs and lows at the cost of the mids. Very disappointed. I was thinking that the 7506s might be more like the old stock, but I haven't brought myself to buying yet another piece of SORNY crap just to find out...

Jun 7, 2006 at 1:23 PM Post #11 of 19
The new V6/7506 is no longer made in Japan. It is now made in China. Since 2003, these headphones have switched manufacturing venues.

Jun 7, 2006 at 2:07 PM Post #12 of 19
My uncle has a pair of older MDR-7506's with the shiny, tightly coiled cable and I have a newer pair of 7506's with the softer cable. The sound is near identical. At one point he bought a pair of Beyer pads to replace his cracking/tearing sony pads and we were interested to see if these pads would make any difference to the sound.

With the beyer pads on the old 7506's and the normal sony pads on my new pair we proceeded to A/B them and both came to the conclusion the sound was unchanged by any significantly distinguishable margin. I thought perhaps they sounded a little different, but by no means classifiable. So I would say our old and new Sony's sound the same.

This could be an issue that only affects the V6s, but as far as I was aware the V6 was supposed to be identical to the 7506. Has anyone tried a new V6 and a new 7506?

Jun 7, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Sony still makes the V6? I thought it was replaced by the V600 and the V7506.

Yes, they still make those and can be purchased around 70 bucks.

Jun 7, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esidarap
I bought my 7506 in February of this year and I can confirm that they are as you describe your old V6 "generally flat response with especially prominent bass". I've never heard the original V6 though so it might not be bass heavy to the same extent.

Hope that helps

I can add to Esidarap's experience by actually having purchased the V6 recently, not the 7506. I only had the V600 before (yuck), and always wanted th V6, instead. The new V6's Bass is almost as strong, but with hardly any boominess - exactly as described.

The only thing I noticed was that the clamping force and headband was almost intolerable out of the box. So, I immediately made the upgrade to the Beyer velour cushions, and they've been great ever since. Personally, I think they should outlaw pleather, anyway.

"Great" is a relative term, though. Headphone technology and improvements have occurred over the years. They may still be one of the best closed cans available - especially at their price. However, my KSC75's have better highs - less shrillness/brightness, but at the same time, more fully formed high frequency notes. Ummm ... let me try that again: Cymbals sound like METAL in the KSC75's, they just sound BRIGHT in the V6's.

Jun 7, 2006 at 2:47 PM Post #15 of 19
Yes, I found that as well.. The original pair I purchased about 13 years ago has very nice extended low frequency response. About two months ago I picked up a second pair for my home studio and noticed wholla - Where's that smooth response... Burn in is not a factor as well.... Oh, well. Keep those old MDR-V6 even if they are falling apart!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back