MDR-V6 Scandal
Jun 7, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by creyc
Has anyone tried a new V6 and a new 7506?

Yes,
the differences to my ears were more aesthetics than anything. matte cord VS shiny, blue cups instead of read, Professional on the headband instead of Studio Monitor...

They appear to be identical in terms of the sound though, I kept the V6's for the vintage namesake and the retro looks..

I used to own the older V6's but like a smart guy, gave them away..so can not comment on the sound of the older units VS the new..

Do know that they make excellent bedside cans with the D-33 out the headphone output...and to my recollection shared a unique synergy with the D-25 too...
they make great "doing stuff" around the house cans too, like chores or picking up the place..

they are the only closed cans I own anymore..great for convenience

Jun 7, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #17 of 19
Thanks for all the input and info. My conclusion is that the old and new V6's and 7506's are the same but different. It's not a huge stretch to imagine inconsistency in the products coming off the assembly line since the move to the China plant.

I'm going to enter negotiations with my friend who has the mint condition vintage V6's. Then maybe I'll try some 7506's, just to prove to myself they are, in fact, V6 clones. After that, it'll be time for some broader auditions. It's been about 10 years since I've really explored what's available. I'd like to find a pair of reasonably-priced, closed-back phones with the basic character of the V6, but a bigger soundstage and a more detailed high end. That's probably asking a lot.

Jun 7, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #18 of 19
I've bought my original V6 around late 80 (1989 I think) and I had it until few years ago. I bought a replacement pair in 2004 and I didn't really notice that much of differences between the old V6 vs. new V6. I did notice that bass sounded little bit tighter and high sounds little bit harsher on new one, but I figured it is probably due to the extensive burn-in and older (=weaker) magnets. Althought some people commented that old V6 is considerably different from the new V6, I think they are about the same IMHO. You can still pick one up for 69 bucks or so brand new.

Now, if you don't mind sacrificing portability and isolation, Audio Technica ATH-A500 is a worthy upgrade for extra 30 bucks or so. It offers much better sound stage, less bloated bass and less shrill highs. In addition, my ears stay drier with AT phones than V6
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterV6
Thanks for all the input and info. My conclusion is that the old and new V6's and 7506's are the same but different. It's not a huge stretch to imagine inconsistency in the products coming off the assembly line since the move to the China plant.

I'm going to enter negotiations with my friend who has the mint condition vintage V6's. Then maybe I'll try some 7506's, just to prove to myself they are, in fact, V6 clones. After that, it'll be time for some broader auditions. It's been about 10 years since I've really explored what's available. I'd like to find a pair of reasonably-priced, closed-back phones with the basic character of the V6, but a bigger soundstage and a more detailed high end. That's probably asking a lot.

Jun 7, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #19 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Sony still makes the V6? I thought it was replaced by the V600 and the V7506.

That and the V7509s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back