mdr-v6 alternatives?
Apr 22, 2008 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

elmo541992

New Head-Fier
ok, so I was considering buying the mdr-v6's, until I tried them out for the first time yesterday, and was very pleased with whatever random rock band was playing on the friends computer, but once I put on children of bodom and system of a down, I noticed how mellow the bass was. What I mean by this (and I'm sure many of you know exactly what I mean) is that with most metal music, there is very pounding bass drums, which the v6's dont handle very well.

What I like about the v6's is that they sound good (with the exception of the bass) and they are within my price range ($60 used).

What I want to know is if there is a pair of cans that are similar to the v6's, put with bass more suited towards metal. Thanks!

Apr 22, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by elmo541992 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok, so I was considering buying the mdr-v6's, until I tried them out for the first time yesterday, and was very pleased with whatever random rock band was playing on the friends computer, but once I put on children of bodom and system of a down, I noticed how mellow the bass was. What I mean by this (and I'm sure many of you know exactly what I mean) is that with most metal music, there is very pounding bass drums, which the v6's dont handle very well.

What I like about the v6's is that they sound good (with the exception of the bass) and they are within my price range ($60 used).

What I want to know is if there is a pair of cans that are similar to the v6's, put with bass more suited towards metal. Thanks!

probably not in that price range.

If you can live with open phones, check out Koss Porta-Pros

Apr 26, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #5 of 11
Equation RP-21's will give you the bass you seek, and you can get them for $99 new so possibly you can find a used pair in the for sale forum here. Unfortunately you won't be able to post to the FS forum until you've posted another 30 times.

Apr 26, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #6 of 11
Try the Audio Technica ATH-M50's and I think you'll get exactly what you're looking for.

Apr 26, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ephrank /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser HD25-1 II, also a pro monitoring headphones.

He said between $60 and $100, not $160.

Apr 26, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #10 of 11
At that price range the only thing I can think of is the AKG K81DJ. I really liked mine, but had to trade them (ironically, for my V6) because they were very uncomfortable to wear with my glasses. I remember rock music sounding good on them and there was definitely plenty of bass. If you go this route, be sure to remove the foam pads covering up the driver, it'll tighten the bass so it doesn't sound as flabby.

$57.99 at Amazon

edit: you can also get velour HD25 pads that fit the K81DJ that are supposed to be more comfortable. I don't know if I ever tried them without my glasses to see if they were as uncomfortable without them, but they would probably be worth checking out if you go with the K81DJ.

Apr 26, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyKarma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At that price range the only thing I can think of is the AKG K81DJ. I really liked mine, but had to trade them (ironically, for my V6) because they were very uncomfortable to wear with my glasses. I remember rock music sounding good on them and there was definitely plenty of bass. If you go this route, be sure to remove the foam pads covering up the driver, it'll tighten the bass so it doesn't sound as flabby.

$57.99 at Amazon

edit: you can also get velour HD25 pads that fit the K81DJ that are supposed to be more comfortable. I don't know if I ever tried them without my glasses to see if they were as uncomfortable without them, but they would probably be worth checking out if you go with the K81DJ.

i tried the hd25 velours on my k518dj [black k81dj] b4, actually it made not much difference in terms of comfort, becoz end of the day its still a supraaural earcups style that presses against ur ears, i still felt the discomfort on my ears after 3hrs of wearing it, and i'm a glasses guy too~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back