MDR-SA5000 Recable Instructions
Jul 24, 2009 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

chrismercurio

New Head-Fier
All,

I am looking for a service manual, or online guide to disassembling the SA5000. I searched google and head-fi and came up empty. Can anyone post a link that may help?

Thank you in advance,

Chris

Jul 24, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #2 of 7
i remember seeing a few threads on this but i cant locate any..

it should be quite simple tho.

1. remove the pads
2. unscrew 3 screws

it will open

3. desolder and solder (it probably has red dot next to signal)
4. close

Jul 24, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #3 of 7
IIRC, you need to rotate the pads to get them off and then you'll see the screws underneath. Take those out and the rest will be self-explanatory. Which reminds me, I've got to open mine up again and touch up the solder joints. It's gotten flaky again.

Jul 24, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IIRC, you need to rotate the pads to get them off and then you'll see the screws underneath. Take those out and the rest will be self-explanatory. Which reminds me, I've got to open mine up again and touch up the solder joints. It's gotten flaky again.

Uncle Erik,

Are their particular places around the casement of the pads that are appropriate to grab for the rotation?

Also, the stock cable seems to transmit a bunch of mechanical noise back to the headphones. Do you guys have a cable you like to replace the stock one with? This would be for DIY, not send it Moon Audio, ALO, or one of the many others that offer recabling services.

Thank you,

Chris

Jul 24, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #5 of 7
From what i can remember from reading earlier posts is that the sa5000 is pretty hard to recable? Is it not? Cablemess?

Jul 24, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #6 of 7
I it find easier to leave the earpad on - unscrew the housing by peeling back the pad and stick your screwdriver into the holes (there's 4 screws by the way, 2 on each side). The stock cable does transmit a lot of sound when rubbed against a surface (microphonics). I used a HD 650 cable which eliminated the problem.

My SA5000 has completely lost sound in the left channel
frown.gif
Its been re-cabled with a stock HD 650 cable and the solder joints look fine. Without a multimetre, how can I tell if its the cable and not the driver that's faulty? Sorry for the thread hijack but at least its slightly relevant to the topic
redface.gif

Jul 24, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #7 of 7
Well,

If it was a loudspeaker I would use a 1.5v AAA or AA battery and test leads to test the driver. So you can test the driver w/o a DMM and figure out whether it is the driver or not and by process of elimination know if it is the cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back