MDR-SA5000 Owners - Participate in this POLL REVIEW
Apr 13, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #31 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
looks like leather...feels like synthetic material...is there any way to confirm? I am personally positive that it is not leather.

Although I'm not too familiar with synthetic leathers, it would seem to me that making it smell like real leather would be pretty impressive if it was indeed fake. I think that it's either low-end real leather or high-end synthetic leather, more likely the former given the smell.

Apr 13, 2005 at 11:14 PM Post #33 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by the terabyte
Although I'm not too familiar with synthetic leathers, it would seem to me that making it smell like real leather would be pretty impressive if it was indeed fake. I think that it's either low-end real leather or high-end synthetic leather, more likely the former given the smell.

I pretty confident that it is real leather. To me, it really looks real -- it's grainy and reasonably thick, a lot different than the CD3000 pads. It smells like real leather. And, from the manual:

"Natural leather earpads
Adoption of natrual leather for earpads make pleasant feel for your listening comfort."

I doubt Sony would outright lie in its manual. Or would it? Hmmmm...

Apr 13, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #34 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
I doubt Sony world outright lie in their manual.

Oh they do...and they do it often. I could be wrong...usually am
tongue.gif

Apr 13, 2005 at 11:50 PM Post #35 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
I pretty confident that it is real leather. To me, it really looks real -- it's grainy and reasonably thick, a lot different than the CD3000 pads. It smells like real leather. And, from the manual:

"Natural leather earpads
Adoption of natrual leather for earpads make pleasant feel for your listening comfort."

I doubt Sony would outright lie in its manual. Or would it? Hmmmm...

It is natural leather, about the lies, well I have seen worst, but of course two wrongs don't make a right...

Apr 14, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #36 of 38
I still think the headphones are tipped up in the treble, but they have a quality that makes it tough to put them down. They have good transparency and resolution is fantastic. I have been listening to Patricia Barber's Fortnight In France album (fantastic recording): the sheer speed and more dynamics in the bass department make me reach for the SA5000 before the R10 on this recording.

Apr 14, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #37 of 38
Originally Posted by jjcha
Postpostscript: Wow, I guess I'm the only one critical of the soundstage... but compared to the Qualia/AKG K 1000, SA5k soundstage is just okay. I will reaffirm though, soundstage with the SA5k on live concert DVDs is unbelievable![/QUOTE]

would you pls go into detail compare SA5K to K1000, do you think these two beast cover all the disks you listen to? I think K1000's midrange & the full-open soundstage is what I miss while use my belove sa5k.

Apr 14, 2005 at 2:47 PM Post #38 of 38
The SA5000 still sounds "hard" on softer acoustic instruments. While it sounds great on close mic'ed rock and jazz, classical music does not sound right to me. That's when the R10 and the Omega II (and the HD650) surpass the SA5000. Maybe its lack of burn in (~100 hours)? I noticed this quality on the Qualia as well though, can anyone comment on that?

I will maintain that the SA5000 soundstage is tightly focused, even if it is not as wide as the CD3000/R10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back