MDR-SA5000 in US for $380
Mar 29, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #196 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye
Would you say that for someone who has gotten used to the 325i sound for the past few weeks might find the SA1000 on the thin side? How about the brightness. I'm not finding the 325i to be bright, this is with C-pads, though.

Yes. I think anyone coming from Senn/Grado will find the SA series to be a bit thin sounding - but it is purely relative. Given time they will sound perfect and the reality is that you are missing more info with a HD-650 (bass articulation top end) and Grado (bass articulation and midrbass/treble resolution) than you are missing with the SA (midrange lushness - no lack of resolution though...)

325i is inconsistently bright - it is mostly under control but gets unruly on a few occasions. This is the chief difference to me between SR-60 and higher end grados - the SR60 is unruly most of the time
tongue.gif
but its fun.

What I mean is - SA1000/5000 sound brighter but the treble is superbly controlled and doesnt get unruly...has smoother transitions in treble than SR-325i and even HD-650. It just has a whole lot more energy than the other two in the treble which makes it sound brighter...

SA5000 is notably more controlled than the SA1000 in the treble and it has a more lush midrange. I guess that is down to cable and driver differences? But I also attribute some of the differences to the difference in "PAD" materials.

gs

Mar 29, 2005 at 11:50 PM Post #197 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Not yet. I am waiting for Jason to send them my way. Jason = JJCHA

Yah, sorry I've been lagging on this - been busy w/ work. I'm planning on sending them out today - I'll be sending them to lan and I'll ask him to send them to you when he's done.

Best,

-Jason

Mar 30, 2005 at 12:00 AM Post #198 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Yah, sorry I've been lagging on this - been busy w/ work. I'm planning on sending them out today - I'll be sending them to lan and I'll ask him to send them to you when he's done.

Best,

-Jason

Thanks Jason,

I've made a search through your previous posts ans there is one were you compare both. And you feel like the SA5000 are on a different league. Also, you say they lack bass which is one of my issues with the CD3K.

lan has compared the SA5000 with the CD3K, and from his impressions I think the SA5000 aren't as bright as the CD3K and have a lot more bass. So, that could be possibly what I am looking for....

Regards,
amp

Mar 30, 2005 at 6:13 AM Post #199 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by brianknewbie
Just ordered some from etronics for 429.99 + shipping...

For fellow CA residents note that BeachAudio charges tax but etronics does not so it works out to be the same, especially when you can get 1% back on etronis purchases through fatwallet.com ...
smily_headphones1.gif

Received them today -- only two days later after I ordered them. Packed well, recommended.

Mar 30, 2005 at 7:09 AM Post #200 of 203
Received mine today too. I ordered them on Friday from Beach Audio for $392.99 + $5.00 shipping + $32.42 tax = $430.41.

I want to spend a few weeks before saying anything definitive, but out of the box they're bright and extremely detailed, but without being harsh, unlike say Grados straight out of the box, which tend to be bright, detailed, AND harsh. I'm very intrigued so far.

-jbunniii

Mar 31, 2005 at 5:40 AM Post #201 of 203
Received mine from Beach Audio too, nice packing. Great phones. By the way, I was also having concern regarding SA5000's magnetic field ever since I read backdrifter's post. So today I used my Gauss meter to compare SA5000 with HD650. Surprisingly at the same volume, HD650's reading is always around two times higher than SA5000. Maybe SA5000 is safer after all?
tongue.gif

Mar 31, 2005 at 5:47 AM Post #202 of 203
Just because the magnet used in the SA5000 is stronger, per gram, doesn't mean that the magnets in both headphones are the same size. I am sure Sony used a smaller neodymium magnet in their driver to compensate for a stronger magnetic field. In fact, I believe they use neodymium so that they can move the driver more precisely due to its smaller size.

Mar 31, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #203 of 203
Got it from beachaudio today... niiiice packing. Came to me flawless... two thumbs up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back