MDR-SA5000 in US for $380
Mar 23, 2005 at 10:35 PM Post #106 of 203
edit

Mar 23, 2005 at 11:07 PM Post #107 of 203
backdrifter,

thanks for the excellent comments on the 650 and SA5000. it is so nice to have someone with your skills and talent make such helpful observations.

i appreciate you taking the time to share today. good, helpful info!

Mar 23, 2005 at 11:08 PM Post #108 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by backdrifter
These new Sony headphones sound very bright to me.

The problem I have with the Sonys is timbral accuracy.

Elements of a musicians sound project that were not meant to project.

If you're coming from Sennheisers, any other headphone (Grado, Sony, AKG, etc.) would seem bright.

Timbral inaccuracy can come from other things parts of your system. Could be a synergy thing happening here. I rarely come accross a headphone system that is "right".

True to life vs. true to recording. I can see what you say about certain things not meant to project but some microphones and headphones are very sensitive. I believe the Sony Qualia and SA series headphones are amongst the most resolving.

I generally think a system isn't good enough if it's presentation is mostly attack/sharpness, and less body. This is typical to me on digital playback systems.

Mar 23, 2005 at 11:19 PM Post #109 of 203
edit

Mar 23, 2005 at 11:25 PM Post #110 of 203
They dont improve much over time in my experience. What WILL change is the way you approach your music. Stop listening to the senns for a few days and spend more and more time with the Sony. Lower the volume...you can listen at really low levels without any problems with detail.

Now - give it time...days...and get used to it. Then post your impressions. Yes they are definitely brighter than the senns...

Wait a minute...I am not going to tell you how to enjoy your music or listen to your gear - have away at it and post YOUR impressions...that is what is important if we are to prevent another FOTM
tongue.gif
LOL

Mar 23, 2005 at 11:28 PM Post #111 of 203
Quote:

At this point, I feel the Senns are more comfortable, less aurally fatiguing, and generally more like real life. I'm having a problem with the mid and bass of the Sonys. Excuse the expression, but they lack balls. The Senns are admittedly too flattering in the bass, sounding a bit flabby and rounded as well. Yet, as quick passages in the celli and bass pass by, I can hear the space between the notes as well as the weight of the sound, which is really cool. This is not true of the Sonys. They sound best so far on the EH tubes, which on the Senns sound bloated and lacking in resolution. My favorite tubes for the Senns are the RCAs listed above, but the Sonys sound a little harsh on those.

I really like your impressions. They remind me of my experiences with the SA5k, but a whole lot more sophisticated and better articulated.

Post 1
Post 2

I will say over time, burn-in, acclimatization, different amp, just becoming a plain detail freak, I've really stopped listening to my HD650/600. Dunno if the Qualia is for you, because even now there are times I think it is just a tizzy of treble craziness. But I'm far from done system matching for it.

I forsee a HE90 in your future.
orphsmile.gif

Best regards,

-Jason

Mar 23, 2005 at 11:43 PM Post #112 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
They dont improve much over time in my experience.

They do improve in my experience. There were times where treble was insane annoying but overall it mellows out.

Mar 23, 2005 at 11:43 PM Post #113 of 203
edit

Mar 23, 2005 at 11:54 PM Post #114 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
They do improve in my experience. There were times where treble was insane annoying but overall it mellows out.

Sure they do Ian - I have also experienced this - but the treble is still there and it is still brighter than the HD-650 which is why I am saying that the cans will not change with burn-in...the biggest change will be in the way he approaches his listening...

Amplifiers also come into play here...but I cannot really elaborate on that so I will stop with that statement. An amp designed for HD-650 *may* not perform very well with the SA5000 because HD-650 needs voltage and the SA5000 need current and LOTS of it even though they are at a pretty moderate 70-75 ohms nominal Z.

But I can PERFECTLY understand someone preferring the HD-650 over the SA5000...I miss the liquidity and poise of those headphones with a variety of recordings...

HD-650 can make anything sound good but not necessarily get you in the middle of the action with detail.

SA5000 will make crap sound crappier and good stuff sound magical...and it will wring you by the neck with its attack and detail. I simply CANNOT work while listening to the SA5000 irrespective of music or listening level...too much stuff going on and too many mesmerizing aspects of the music to enjoy.

Cheers!

gs

Mar 24, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #115 of 203
Quote:

I'm just a working musician, my friend, for which I am very thankful. I don't hold a candle to my teacher. I am just an Ultrasone to his Orpheus.
orphsmile.gif

Yeah but congrats, i knew you were good man! Your post #106 is one of the most intelligent and precise i've read here since a looooong time.

I would be very interested to read your impression about Qualia 010 tonal accuracy, because actually there's no possibility to try them in Europe.

Thanks.

Mar 24, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #116 of 203
edit

Mar 24, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #117 of 203
Quote:

The Sonys are sounding better with burn in. I am indeed hearing some interesting things that I had not noticed - audience noise on a recording I know very well (someone is walking down an isle), some cleared-up triple-tounguing in the flutes.

I noted stuff like this in my review as well...at one point it go so annoying I wanted to throw my paperweight at an imaginary moron who was coughing all through Herbie Hancock and Chick Corea's : An evening with Herbie Hancock and Chick Corea : Album!!
mad.gif

Take your time...spend at least 50 hours with these cans "EXCLUSIVELY" and post more impressions...

Best regards,

gs

Mar 24, 2005 at 12:54 AM Post #118 of 203
edit

Mar 24, 2005 at 10:41 AM Post #119 of 203
Backdrifter: thanks for your frank thoughts. Always a pleasure to read. Can I say you "might" be starting to get the detail bug the SA5000s have given me. Once you hear that detail, well its addictive. And you are right there is some possible exageration in the upper treble but for me that enhances the experience. The Sony's actually seem to add to the music for me...

I still feel the MS-pros make all music sound great, and decent recordings allow the Sonys to make the music sound "more".

Looking forward to your thoughts once the cans have fully burned in your brain....
biggrin.gif

TonyAAA

Mar 24, 2005 at 12:28 PM Post #120 of 203
Hi,

Gheez, I just pulled the trigger on another set of headphones.
I hate visiting this site. . . crap. . . now I can add a pair of SA5ks to my list.

I gotta stop this craziness NOW!

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back