MDR-SA5000 in US for $380
Mar 25, 2005 at 3:18 AM Post #139 of 203
edit

Mar 25, 2005 at 3:24 AM Post #140 of 203
GSFerrari,
I have a question. Will SA1000 work with portable like creative nomad or a notebook with a average sound card. I do not want to spend hundreds more improving gear for a $117 headphone

Mar 25, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #141 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by backdrifter
Ok, I am sitting here glistening in flame-retardant chemicals. I am ready for your best and worst.

uhh, clearly you haven't let them break in long enough

uhh, clearly you are not using the right amp

uhh, clearly they would be better with tubes

uhh, clearly they would sound better re-wired

uhh, clearly they are beaten by the 325k's

uhh, clearly you just don't recognize their greatness

just a few to get started!

oh yeah forgot one more...

uhh, clearly you should sell!

Mar 25, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #142 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by trivik12
GSFerrari,
I have a question. Will SA1000 work with portable like creative nomad or a notebook with a average sound card. I do not want to spend hundreds more improving gear for a $117 headphone

Hmmm...with a notebook I will NOT recommend the SA1000 because it will really make those crackles and pops VERY annoying. Stick to a less sensitive headphone. Also - the cable is LOOOOONG and although it is easily rolled up...I find it a pain going portable. Finally - they dont isolate very well.

But purely from a functional point of view - with a decent portable DAP and notebook with an external sound card like the Echo Indigo / Bithead / new Porta Corda USB etc. it will work very well...

No problems as far as the headphones are concerned - you HAVE to watch the source material...

Mar 25, 2005 at 3:46 AM Post #143 of 203
Quote:

Seriously, if anyone has any thoughts on any of this, weigh in.

I agree with the treble energy but I wasnt as badly affected as you seem to be. It is a shock coming to these from a HD-650
tongue.gif

Now - I dont know if you have posted about this already but can you tell me:

* What source?
* What amplifier?
* What cables?
* How many hours have you run juice through these cans?

I dont know if earache is being serious or not but all these factors will weight in on the final result. I also noted that these headphones can bring out any flaws in the system...mainly the source and recordings. Half my CDs are unlistenable but they were iffy with the HD-650s as well...I HATE HOT RECORDINGS
mad.gif

I think you should give them some time off the head burning in and then listen to them for a final evaluation and then decide what you want to do with them. No headphone is a universally suitable headphone - this is no secret.

There is no need for flame retardant suit etc. - if it doesnt tickle your fancy...it can tickle someone elses
wink.gif

Mine is not going anywhere...I am thoroughly immersed with the SA1000 right now but I miss the SA5000 already...(another headfier has them on loan...he sent me the 325i for evaluation)

Mar 25, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #144 of 203
Some Electronics engineer should comment on this, but I believe any cellular phone has an electromagnetic field way stronger than any headphone's. For instance, if my cell is close enough to my computer, when it's about to ring it causes audible and visible distortion on my computer and monitor, something my headphones never do. We usually don't keep a cell phone right next to our ears for as long as we keep headphones though (well some people might). But in general I wouldn't worry much about that paper's findings and a possible risk of using headphones. Heavy use of cellphones is another story.

Backdrifter your comments on your exposure to live music and how you perceive this excessive treble energy in the SA5K's reinforces my believe that the Sony is just on the bright side of things, probably somewhat different but still a follow up of the CD3K. (Anyway, sorry I'm commenting just about beliefs on something I haven't heard, will not comment further.)

Mar 25, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #145 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra
the Sony is just on the bright side of things, probably somewhat different but still a follow up of the CD3K

Not even close. CD3K is strident SA5K is a lot more mellow and it is NOT equalized towards treble.

When are you coming back to USA?

gs

Mar 25, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #146 of 203
[OT parenthesis]
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
When are you coming back to USA?

Not really sure. By late Summer I should do something with my stuff in storage in Pensacola, and my car in New Orleans. So I might go to the US by then at least. For now I accepted a job at Cantv (the largest phone company in Venezuela) as a senior analyst/software developer in a division of new technologies, all Java and J2EE related work. In principle I start April 1st, but haven't signed the contract yet. [/OT parenthesis]

Mar 25, 2005 at 4:07 AM Post #147 of 203
edit

Mar 25, 2005 at 4:18 AM Post #148 of 203
Wow...its bright with a tube amp? Im using it with a Kevin Gilmore Dynahi and I simply cannot identify with your observations on the treble. I can only agree as far as the fact that it has more treble energy than the HD-650.

The NAD is a fine source...my modded scd-c222-es actually sounds brighter than the stock scd-c222-es but the good thing about these headphones is that at lower volumes you still get all the information...

Mar 25, 2005 at 4:43 AM Post #149 of 203
I cannot believe the Sony's are bright from a NAD CDP. I have a NAD C542i running through a very neutral Talisman T-3H. I think the Talisman delivers a lot of treble energy and would describe the NAD CDP as fairly warm.

Are you listening at considerable volume? ... that might just make the Sony's too bright. But at normal to comfortably loud they just have above average upper treble for me

TonyAAA.

Mar 25, 2005 at 4:55 AM Post #150 of 203
Quote:

I'm finding this headphone to be a hellfire of treble energy. I'm exaggerating to be funny, but I disagree.

My gear again:
Belkin PureAv Power Console PF30, Audioquest King Cobra interconnects, NAD C542 CD player, Singlepower PPX3-6SN7 amp with upgrades, vibrapod cones under the amp and cd.

Tubes include: RCA 6SN7-GTB 1950s, Sylvania 6SN7-GT 1940s, current production Electro-Harmonix 6SN7.

They are running continuously for about 36 hours with higher volume than I use for listening. I'm thinking that I will run them continuously for a week like that, and if their essential character has not changed, I will sell. You're right, someone else should enjoy them if I don't.

It's not earache, so much. Have you ever been in a noisy environment, and your ears just sort of burn from it? This might just be me, the noise-averse flower that I am. I'm thinking this is just my reaction to the treble. The EMF thing is something that lingers in the back of my mind. I just throw it out as an alternative explanation, in case someone has ideas or experiences. The other experience I referred to, where I was certain of an effect, was from the use of a cell phone.

I am using similar tubes -RCA 6SN7GT and the Sylvania 6SN7W (slightly better vintage and sound) in a HA-2 and I dont find the sound at all bright. As a matter of fact, I found just the opposite to be true. The top end was totally tamed. Yeah, the Sylvania tends to be a bit brighter as it is more open and faster with lot of detail and slam but the RCA was sweet. I just can't imagine anything being so bright with the RCA. You should give the the Black glass RCA VT-231 a try as it has a richer smoother sound. If that doesn't work, I suspect the brightness might have something to do with the PPX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back