MDR-sa5000 crackling in one ear - loud volume.
Jan 18, 2007 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

chris_ah1

500+ Head-Fier
Well, somehow I found my MDR-sa5000s were suddenly playing very loudly. I don't know how they got so loud as it was unbearable and I had been listening to them at normal levels five mins before or so.

I think the right ear crackles slightly with any loudish volume and certain sounds.
Is this permanent damage or will it get better over time?

It couldn't have been blaring out for more than 5 or 10mins unless i got really sidetracked.

I still don't know how the volume spiked on my computer either
frown.gif

Jan 19, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #3 of 7
You need a *da da da!* recable!

All SA5000's eventually suffer the fate of a loose connection between a driver and the cable. This is due to poor design by Sony.

Don't get Sony to fix it; they charge way too much. Contact Ak[Zip] or make a thread in the For Sale forums about wanting a recable for your Sony's.

Jan 19, 2007 at 9:40 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need a *da da da!* recable!

All SA5000's eventually suffer the fate of a loose connection between a driver and the cable. This is due to poor design by Sony.

Don't get Sony to fix it; they charge way too much. Contact Ak[Zip] or make a thread in the For Sale forums about wanting a recable for your Sony's.

Oh really - I didn't realise it was as simple as that. I thought it had been blown from the volume, well that's good to hear.

Jan 19, 2007 at 9:47 AM Post #5 of 7
I just picked up a pair. If you say they all suffer this fate, is preventive maintenance possible? Should I open them up and carefully touch up the solder, if that's what causes this?

Also, is it possible to put some kind of strain relief on the cord?

Jan 19, 2007 at 11:03 AM Post #6 of 7
I've just picked up a pair that already has a replacement cable. I think the source of the problem is that Sony glues the cable ends to the drivers as opposed to soldering them like most other manufacturers.

Jan 19, 2007 at 11:54 AM Post #7 of 7
But thing is that I only get the crackling in loud bits of music - e.g. dies irae in verdi requiem.

If it is bad cabling I'm really disappointed. They aren't cheap (although I did get them for $360) and it's just pathetic they died so fast when I take relatively good care of them. Once I worked out my HD-595s needed a 1/4" to 3/8" converter plug wire rather than just the plug I have had no problems and have had them since the HD-595s initially came out.

Is there any recabling you guys suggest?

I can't use head-fi forums and that ak chap as I'm in the uk although there is an audio shop near me that can do recabling so is there anything I should ask for that has ok quality and won't break the bank?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back