MDR-F1????
Jul 25, 2004 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Quad

100+ Head-Fier
OK how do MDR-F1 compare to say AKG 1000. I can probably get to listen to some F1's easily since they might maybe be getting some stock in my local Sony store at a price they have no clue as to what it might be. (they are so knowledgeable about their products there). But the AKG's I cannot find (anyone from Vancouver BC knows who might have them?) for a listen.

I thought since they are both fairly open in design there might be a bit of a possibility to draw some comparisons. I am looking for a mighty fine soundstage as well as an overall decent listening experience for non-portable use.

Am I being insane here hoping to get an idea what the AKG's might be like by comparing to another open phone?

Jul 25, 2004 at 4:18 PM Post #2 of 10
The mdr-f1 aren't considered to be very good phones. They're okay if you need comfort and soundstage (at the cost of detail). Plus, they can be found cheap. I would think they're no match for akgs, or any high-end phone for that matter. I haven't heard either phone but this seems to be the general consensus. (correct me if I'm wrong) There is a reason why they're not commonly recommended.

Jul 25, 2004 at 4:36 PM Post #3 of 10
Actually.. I feel that MDR-F1 is in the general vicinity of the Audio Technica A900. Which doesn't make it comparable to the AKG K1000... but still a very good choice for a separate headphone.

Its merits are the same as the A900, easily driveable, sounds pretty good out of just about any source. The main difference between it and the A900, is that since it has a very open design, the sound is much more laid back and less exciting. It doesn't give you the same punch and pull that A900 and CD3000 has.

However, it is also by far, the most comfortable circumaural headphone that I've ever tried.

Jul 25, 2004 at 4:46 PM Post #4 of 10
I have both, and IMO the MDR-F1 is not in the same league as the K1000. It's sound is also substantially below that of the RS-1 and HD650, both of which I also have.

Jul 25, 2004 at 7:21 PM Post #6 of 10
The F1s seem to be a phones people either love or hate--personally I didn't care for them (to say the least, actually) but I ended up selling them to Lindrone and he loves them so there you go.
biggrin.gif

I didn't think that the F1s were up to the snuff of other phones in their price range (which is below that of the K1000s) and, personally, I think if you're looking for the sony house sound the D66 Eggos and CD780 do it better and for less money. I found the F1s to be very rolled off in the highs and lows and to have a very unrealistic tonal character. But, that said, what I did really like about them is that they a forward exciting sound but were never fatiguing (likely because of their rolled off highs). Still not my cup of tea, though, but if your store gets them in see if you can try them out before buying--it really is the only way to know for sure if something is for you.

Jul 25, 2004 at 8:48 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taurui
But K1000 need a kickass tube amp to sound good, while F1s .. probably .. don't

Oops. The only amps that I've heard really let the F-1 do its stuff are the EAR HP4 and the Singlepower Supra. Without a killer tube amp, the midrange flattens out, and you don't get decent instrument separation. If you're laying out the cash for those amps, though, you will probably be able to afford a better headphone than the F-1.

The F-1 is not one of the worlds great headphones, although I suspect that it would benefit from a cable replacement more than most other headphones in its price range. Still, given a good source and good amplification, it holds its own. I originally sold mine, missed them, and wound up buying another pair.

Jul 25, 2004 at 9:05 PM Post #8 of 10
Hirsch may remember that I've always sorta had a soft spot for the F1s and I continue to feel that they take some hard knocks here at Head-Fi. He's right... they need a good amp and still, they're no world beaters. However, I find myself pulling my F1s out and listening with my EMP quite often and I'm always pleasantly surprised by their comfort/sound.

I'd love to hear these phones with the amps mentioned by Hirsch...

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2004 at 12:31 AM Post #9 of 10
For the AKG's I was thinking of hooking them up to Quad II power amps. Good idea or bad idea?

Otherwise some Grant Tube amps (60 watt monoblocks) could be used.

If neither of these would be good I would not likely go for the AKGs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back