MD/VA/DC Meet 07/14 Impressions
Jul 21, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #76 of 97
Ah, the spdif rca to xlr connector transformers. Actually, AES/EBU spec calls for an impedance of 110 ohms, and I believe the SPDIF spec calls for 75 ohms. Not sure about the SPDIF spec, but I'm sure the AES/EBU spec does specify impedance.

edit: got too curious to not look it up, so I looked it up:

Quote:

Impedance: 110Ω ± 20%

The key difference between twisted pair specifications for digital
audio cable and standard analog audio cable is the impedance
specification.

AES/EBU, with its broad tolerance, allows cables with impedances
from 88 ohms to 132 ohms to be used. Standard analog audio
cable impedance is 45 ohms to 70 ohms. This potential amount
of mismatch can result in signal reflections and jitter, causing bit
errors at the receiver. For this reason Belden recommends
100 to 120 ohm shielded twisted pair cable.
source: http://belden.com/pdfs/MasterCatalog...cast/12.27.pdf

Quote:

COAX
Coaxial cable - 75 ohm cable connected with RCA plugs

The coaxial interface uses 75 ohm COAX cable with RCA (phono) connectors. Standard audio interconnect cables will work for transmitting S/PDIF over short distances, but anything over 0.5 metre or so should use 75 ohm cable. The unloaded signal is nominally +/-0.5V and must be terminated with 75 ohms on the receiving end - the resulting signal is +/-0.25V when terminated. Naturally, audio 'speciality' shops love to sell the 'ultimate' cable for up to several hundred dollars, but a cable which you can easily make yourself should cost no more than $10-20 using good quality 75 ohm cable and connectors. source: http://sound.westhost.com/project85.htm

I don't understand why it would be necessary to use transformers on both ends when it would be easier to replace the non-compliant rca connector with a proper 75 ohm connector? I picked up a few for my opus dac I'm building, and they're not too expensive. That, coupled with a quick and easy proper 75 ohm spdif coax cable, and you're set.

As for the whole BNC is better argument....that's been rehashed plenty already, I personally agree, but don't believe in the extra hassle when everything already has RCA's on them, it's also cheaper
smily_headphones1.gif

I apologize yet again for going OT, hopefully not too many folks object
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by vvs_75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was talking about this adaptor:

http://mercenary.com/neditr.html

Jul 21, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #77 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't understand why it would be necessary to use transformers on both ends when it would be easier to replace the non-compliant rca connector with a proper 75 ohm connector? I picked up a few for my opus dac I'm building, and they're not too expensive. That, coupled with a quick and easy proper 75 ohm spdif coax cable, and you're set.

I agreed if you building DAC DIY. What if you have/buying prom. balanced dac? It comes with a XLR input!

Anyway thanks for the info! I was wondering about Opus dac!

Also what the total cost in parts for the balanced Opus?

Jul 21, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #78 of 97
This was a great meet. Thanks to Steve for setting it up and all those who helped and all those who attended. I am trying to post some pics with it. Some great equipment, and my first time hearing great quality phones.

Jul 21, 2007 at 11:42 AM Post #80 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiorapture /img/forum/go_quote.gif
having trouble getting pics after hitting manage attachments; nothing opens.
What am I doing wrong, need some help......thanks

You need to host the pictures. Lots of free sites.(http://www.imagecave.com) Then hit reply and press yelow square with mountains and insert URL of the hosted image.

Jul 23, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #81 of 97
vvs_75, since the DAC sold for $71 and you got it at the auction for much less, I think it would be fair if you would share part of the profit with Head-Fi by contributing.

Jul 23, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #83 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get off your high horse slacker. Did you kick in for the room?

yup, i kicked in $20

Jul 23, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #84 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
vvs_75, since the DAC sold for $71 and you got it at the auction for much less, I think it would be fair if you would share part of the profit with Head-Fi by contributing.

He won that fair a square at the silent auction, he is under no obligation to kick back anything from his eBay sale. This happens and it could happen to you or anyone else at the meet... there is an entire street in NY dedicated to this very thing....buy low, sell high.

Jul 23, 2007 at 5:08 AM Post #85 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You think that I got very rich?

If you knew that the DAC cost that much money, then why you didn't buy it at meet auction to help to pay for the room. Then you could sell it!

If you knew that I was selling it, you should ask me first I would give it to you for the same I paid.

One thing I don't get! Why would you hunt what people buying or selling without any intention yourself to buy?

Grow up man!

Jul 23, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #86 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvs_75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing I don't get! Why would you hunt what people buying or selling without any intention yourself to buy?

Actually I didnt hunt anything. I stumbled upon that auction from a thread on here where someone linked it as a recommendation.

I was just suggesting, and not telling you what to do with your money.

Jul 23, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #89 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know, why don't we solve this like the mafia. We'll duct tape slacker inside a carpet, and throw him in the east river.

Didnt you already kill me once? You can't kill me again... especially the same way you did the 1st time.

Jul 23, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #90 of 97
hey guys! thanks to all the guys in the DC/MD area for planning and hosting the meet. it was a blast meeting the crew down there, especially those that I've known for a few years now but haven't met in person due to geographic issues.

I'm still a bit busy so can't post much, but I'll try to get some pictures up within a week. (decided the day after the meet that I needed a vacation, and now I'm on the east coast since thursday. east coast of japan that is. fun 24-hour trip that I could do without, but oh well.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back