MD mini-meet bullets
May 30, 2005 at 3:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Hirsch

Why is there a chaplain standing over his wallet?
Dave1, Dusty Chalk, CD44hi and thrice have been by at various times over the weekend. I'm not going to post detailed impressions, but some of the highlights that we picked up:

RS-1 vs. RS-2: RS-2 compresses the sound stage. Does not hold up well at all in comparison to RS-1. There's a good reason you don't hear a lot about the RS-2.

Benchmark DAC-1 vs. Wadia 301. HVDX digital BNC to BNC connected the Benchmark to the Wadia. Bogdan Silver Spirit connected both player and DAC to different inputs on modded SHA-1. The Benchmark is good, but it's not that good. Both sounded good, but the Wadia clearly had better definition/clarity.

DAC-1 vs. Ack! dAck! Moved to a Philips 963SA source to use optical output to connect Benchmark, coax to Ack! Voltage output was matched using the trimpots on the Benchmark. At the time, two votes went to the Benchmark, one went to the Ack! However, we later discovered that the person who preferred the Ack! had mixed up the inputs, so the DAC-1 was a unanimous preference. This is an older Ack! and the latest Benchmark, so it may not apply to the dAck! v2.

Dac-1 vs. M-cubed. Native headphone amp of DAC-1 was compared to Rockhopper Audio M-cubed. No contest. The M-cubed is simply a better amplifier. DAC-1 amp sounded muddy in comparison.

iPod vs. Creative NJB3. Battle of the lineouts. Used with the lineout in the iPod dock, the iPod is simply better sonically. Surprised me, as I like the NJB3 line out. However, the iPod has a cleaner sound, and it's not particularly difficult to make a judgement. iPod used was iPod Photo 60 GB.

May 31, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
iPod vs. Creative NJB3. Battle of the lineouts. Used with the lineout in the iPod dock, the iPod is simply better sonically. Surprised me, as I like the NJB3 line out. However, the iPod has a cleaner sound, and it's not particularly difficult to make a judgement. iPod used was iPod Photo 60 GB.

I'd be interested in hearing more on this comparison, in particular what points you thought were better and what types of music you listened to. I trashed the drive in the NJB3 so it might be better to get an iPod than replace the drive...

May 31, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #3 of 9
Out of curiosity, what power cords were used for DAC1 and Wadia 301?

Also, some people believe HVDX is overrated, and since a one-box CDP like Wadia has intrinsic advantage over a separate DAC, the right digital link could make all the difference in the world. Having said that, I'm not at all surprised Wadia had better clarity.

I always liked my 4g iPod's line-out sound quality, so I'm not surprised, but I wonder if there's any truth to the rumor iPod Photo doesn't sound as good as non-photo iPod..

May 31, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Out of curiosity, what power cords were used for DAC1 and Wadia 301?

Also, some people believe HVDX is overrated, and since a one-box CDP like Wadia has intrinsic advantage over a separate DAC, the right digital link could make all the difference in the world. Having said that, I'm not at all surprised Wadia had better clarity.

I always liked my 4g iPod's line-out sound quality, so I'm not surprised, but I wonder if there's any truth to the rumor iPod Photo doesn't sound as good as non-photo iPod..

The Wadia uses an FIM Silver PC. The DAC-1 was using a Shunyata Diamondback. I haven't heard other variants of the iPod, and need lots of room, so the iPod Photo 60 GB is right for me. I've gotten good results with HVDX, particularly using BNC to BNC. One you start putting adapters on, all bets are off.

May 31, 2005 at 5:01 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
I'd be interested in hearing more on this comparison, in particular what points you thought were better and what types of music you listened to. I trashed the drive in the NJB3 so it might be better to get an iPod than replace the drive...

Basically, we synched the two players to the same cut (same rip) of the CD "Undone" by Artemis. The sound is female vocal, with lots of percussion and chimes at various places, and some serious bass. I like the music a lot, and it has enough types of sounds to give just about any system a workout. Basically, the iPod was better at separating the various instruments, and producing a sense of dimensionality. The NJB3 seemed to dull the leading edge of notes, and had less sense of decay. The NJB3 simply sounded as though it were smearing the music, relative to iPod. We didn't bother with switching types of music, as the differences were very clear (IMO, moreso than the DAC comparisons). Although NJB3 has been my main portable player, iPod has replaced it easily.

May 31, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #6 of 9
Fine impressions. I had the same feelings with the RS1 vs. the RS2. Considering the RS-1's are particularly strong with their soundstage dimensions (as opposed to headstage) the RS2 sound closer to lower models, as in, lower than 225's. Not cool.

As for the iPod, I have this unit and I feel the same as you do (though I have not compared it with the Creative). It has a very nice linear sound, the line-out is quite good and when paired with a nice amp, the sound is more than decent, with lossless, it is a great work system with a very small form factor.

Jun 1, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #7 of 9
I am suprised the RS-2's are not regarded higher. What are the flaws due to. Is is the smaller wood housing as from pics they look about the same.

Seriously lower than the 225's?

Jun 1, 2005 at 3:19 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
Basically, we synched the two players to the same cut (same rip) of the CD "Undone" by Artemis.

Thanks for the impressions Hirsch, I think I know exactly what you mean.

Jun 4, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #9 of 9
I'm not surprised that y'all seem to find the iPod to be such a favorable performer. At our Detroit mini-meet, we hooked it up to my amp and listened to it on the K1000's. It is what it is, but it sounded pretty nice to these ears.
k1000smile.gif

I've never understood why some folks seem to go on and on about how the iPod has such poor sound quality. I don't get it.
confused.gif

BTW - Thanks for the impressions on the Benchmark DAC vs the Wadia. I've heard a lot about that DAC, and it's interesting to get some impressions vs a truly top-notch digital source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back