1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

McIntosh MHP1000 Headphones Announced in CES

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by wnmnkh, Jan 8, 2014.
Tags:
First

Back
1 2
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Next

Last
  1. bcschmerker4
    At least the earcups are large enough, and deep enough in particular, for motors buildable under United States Patent 5,151,943, granted to Carl Van Gelder of McIntosh Laboratory, Inc., in the early 1990's.  McIntosh® discovered the problem of magnetic interactions among the motor components as a cause of distortion and eventually developed a shield system of non-ferromagnetic, highly conductive cylinders straddling the pole pieces to solve this issue by isolating the voice coil from the pole piece, much as the +Vgg screens and -Vkk suppressors isolate the control grids from plate delta-voltage kickback in pentodes and pentagrid tubes.  No headphone manufacturer has previously used this design.

2. Tingc222

Well said. I'm sad to see Mac being so bold but in the end, if they make a good product worthy of the name, who's to blame them? :p

3. brunk
    Keep in mind this is not an amplifier, it is a headphone. I also don't think the new Mac DAC/HP amp will hold any value. There no famous Mac analog circuitry, it's all digital that is obsolete in a matter of a few years. The times have changed, and they are cashing in on the younger, more mobile crowd. It's going to take more than the name to appeal to this crowd at this pricepoint.

4. bcschmerker4

As it turns out, McIntosh® has a history of subcontracting certain speaker components to reputable firms with a history of product accuracy; North American Philips provided special-design textile dome tweeters for the XR-series speaker cabs through the 1990's, and United Speaker Services handled initial production of some early cabs while the Laboratory was tooling up for speaker manufacturing in the 1970's.

However, I don't see beyerdynamic® being able to license Van Gelder's LD/HP motor design for initial MHP1000 production - the shielded-pole-piece design is a McIntosh® original used by no other manufacturer, and in fact I wouldn't be surprised if Bose® had to come up with completely different motor designs to work around Patent 5,151,943.

5. gonkulator
    Does  Beyer OEM for anyone else? 

I suspect McIntosh's emphasis is the amp, where it has the more respect. The HP is probably just a type of smart vertical marketing.

6. bcschmerker4

As for the headphone amplifier, if the article at WhatHiFi.com referenced Post 1 is any clue, McIntosh® is downscaling its own proven solid-state PO stage design in the MHA100, which packs a three-output-tap autoformer for each channel, as headphones require a fraction of the power needed for the XR and HT Series loudspeakers; the digital side is probably based on hardware already used by its current parent company Clarion® for home audio.  Perhaps beyerdynamic® requested a preproduction example of the MHA100 to help with MHP1000 development, testing and evaluation (at least in terms of their own DT 770, 880 and 990 studio-reference headphones)....

7. Beagle

Everybody wants in on the headphone game now......so the quickest way to get in is to call up some factory in China, have them slap something together and stick their badge on it and hope it sounds good. In this case, it looks like a factory in Germany and the list price reflects that. Anyway, it all comes down to the sound, as always.

8. Phos
    Yeah, actually, Qpad has their branded MMX 300, and they also have their branded version of the chinese knockoff.  

9. CDWMcInSpots

Quote:

QPAD has several headsets that look like beyerdynamic. Takstar also has several headphones that look like beyerdynamic. I don't know whether these are OEM, licensed or (partial) copy products though.

Clarion bought McIntosh in 1990 and sold it to D&M Holdings in 2003 which sold it to Fine Sounds SpA in 2012. See:
    1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McIntosh_Laboratory#Japanese_years
    2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McIntosh_Laboratory#Italian_years
    3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%26M_Holdings

10. bmichels
    when id this baby due to be released ?  Has someone had a chance to hear a demo version at a show ? 

11. bmichels
    Confused ! The new McIntosh HEADPHONE, Is it MCH1000 or MHP1000 ? ? ?

12. GL1TCH3D
    Haven't heard anything since this thread was posted

13. bmichels
    nowhere I can find any first impressions about their MHP1000 Headphone !  

--> Has it been released yet ? Not even samples units for the press ? 

MHP1000.jpg

14. musicman59
    As far as I know they are not out yet and I don't think they are close to be released either.

15. wnmnkh Contributor
    It is supposed to be released in this month. It seems it is delayed tho.

First

Back
1 2
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Next

Last