McIntosh MHA200 Impressions
Jan 17, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #976 of 1,178
iFI iCan Pro as a pre-amp in my set up so the VC issues is not problem to me.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #977 of 1,178
Hi

New to this forum here but have been following this thread with keen interest. I have demoed the unit and experienced the volume knob “gain control”. As I understand it, this would not be a problem with using a preamp to control the volume. However, as I have never owned a mcintosh and buying a Mc preamp just to unleash the mha would not make sense. So my question is what are people experience with connecting source directly to the amp and adjusting gain within 12 to 1 o’clock? Are you finding it difficult to get exactly the right volume? I am hoping to connect the mha directly to my ear834p phono (no volume control)

How is the experience using non mc preamp? I do have a benchmark dac1 pre lying around from my previous entry to headfi wayyyy back.

Finally, any update on the next iteration of the mha? @TSAVJason Is it worth holding out for it? Thank you all!

Jan 24, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #978 of 1,178
My setup (I think you and I may b e the only vinyls) is Marantz TT15S1/Audio Technica ART20, mc MP100, MHA200 and Focal Utopia 2020.The ART20 puts it in another world. Check out the Hoffman string. I tweak the MHA200 Volume Control. Overall it stays in a very small range and I change it when the vinyl volume requires it. For the most part I leave it in one spot and accept the varying volume. I only recently upgraded to the AT ART20 cartridge and the separation of voices and instruments is incredible, in ni small part due to the Utopias.

Jan 27, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #979 of 1,178
Hi

New to this forum here but have been following this thread with keen interest. I have demoed the unit and experienced the volume knob “gain control”. As I understand it, this would not be a problem with using a preamp to control the volume. However, as I have never owned a mcintosh and buying a Mc preamp just to unleash the mha would not make sense. So my question is what are people experience with connecting source directly to the amp and adjusting gain within 12 to 1 o’clock? Are you finding it difficult to get exactly the right volume? I am hoping to connect the mha directly to my ear834p phono (no volume control)

How is the experience using non mc preamp? I do have a benchmark dac1 pre lying around from my previous entry to headfi wayyyy back.

Finally, any update on the next iteration of the mha? @TSAVJason Is it worth holding out for it? Thank you all!

It is doable - you just need a light touch. My original one had to be replaced due to a grounding issue, and the newer one has a much smoother volume knob which makes fine volume adjustments substantially easier (but see below).

My setup (I think you and I may be the only vinyls) is Marantz TT15S1/Audio Technica ART20, mc MP100, MHA200 and Focal Utopia 2020.The ART20 puts it in another world. Check out the Hoffman string. I tweak the MHA200 Volume Control. Overall it stays in a very small range and I change it when the vinyl volume requires it. For the most part I leave it in one spot and accept the varying volume. I only recently upgraded to the AT ART20 cartridge and the separation of voices and instruments is incredible, in ni small part due to the Utopias.

Hardly! Indeed, I just added a Vertere Phono-1mkIIL to my SME/Lyra and it’s never sounded better. I’ve have been a vinyl guy for 50+ years and it’s still my primary source. Wide shot of the main system - MHA200 toward right side (between the Vertere phono stage and the Audeze headphones):

017C56E3-F417-4FDF-829B-17380BAA8151.jpeg

@dnd3241 iFI iCan Pro as a pre-amp in my set up so the VC issues is not problem to me.

My YBA line stage has two pre outs, so one goes to the power amp and one goes to the MHA200. Wonky volume control issue resolved (although, out of intellectual curiosity, I’m still waiting for a plausible explanation of why Mc couldn’t achieve the same result with a normal volume control - merely stating that ‘it’s a non-linear volume control’ doesn’t answer the ‘what reason’ question).

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #980 of 1,178
Hi

Best estimate is about 1 - 1.5 years. They have a lot of other products being updated and NEW gear coming first but it is going to come to market.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jan 27, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #981 of 1,178
Thank you all for the feedbacks! I went for it and I am never happier. No issue with volume control and adjustment at all. Now on to tube rolling…

Jan 30, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #982 of 1,178
According to the specs, the MHA200 is kind of weak for the Expanse. First of all, its power ratings start at 32 ohms, somewhat higher than the Expanse. Secondly, at 32 ohms it puts out a max of only 500 milliwatts, probably significantly lower at 25 ohms or so where the Expanse lies.
Any ideas? Consider buying Expanse but afraid of selling mha200…

Feb 22, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #983 of 1,178
Just bought one of these from a forum member and I am absolutely blown away by the sound. I wonder how many of these they made? It's a shame these aren't more widely/easily available.

I had a question on best practices though, should I be putting this on standby whenever I leave my desk for 10-20+ minutes? Not sure if that would that put more strain on it than just leaving it on.

Feb 22, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #984 of 1,178
Just bought one of these from a forum member and I am absolutely blown away by the sound. I wonder how many of these they made? It's a shame these aren't more widely/easily available.

I had a question on best practices though, should I be putting this on standby whenever I leave my desk for 10-20+ minutes? Not sure if that would that put more strain on it than just leaving it on.
For that short of time period, I would just leave it on. If you are going to be away from the MHA200 or any tube for a prolonged period of time, let's say a few hours, then I would shut it down to preserve the life of the tubes.

Feb 22, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #985 of 1,178

Just leave it on. After 30 minutes with no input it will turn off (to standby) automatically.

It is easily available, if you go to the right shop.

Mar 4, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #986 of 1,178
Thanks everybody! Still really enjoying this amp. Right now I'm trying to see if the 250ohm or 600ohm setting sounds better with my HD800S. I saw somebody elsewhere who uses the 600ohm setting with these headphones but was wondering if anybody else has experimented or has any pointers on what kind of sound differences I should be hearing? Thanks!

Mar 26, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #987 of 1,178
I am hopeful I will be purchasing mine in the new year.
Well, I have decided not to purchased the McIntosh MHA 200. I have four reasons why I decided not to get it.

1. I purchased the B&W PX8 noise cancelling headphones. Anytime I go for a walk, clean the house in different rooms, travel on a business trip, etc, I use these headphones with my Samsung phone. They sound great and they have become my go to headphones when I am mobile. The McIntosh cannot be used for any of these times when I really need headphones.

2. I just purchased a Rega P6 turntable with a Ania Pro cartridge which was my bigger purchase right now.

3. I just don't find I need to listen to music with headphones in my living room where my stereo setup is. I play through my Focal Aria speakers and only on occasion when I don't want to bother someone else who is in the next room or if its late at night, do I actually use wired headphones. So to spend so much money on a headphone amp that won't be used even every 2 weeks, I just can't justify it at this time. Maybe my needs will change later on. I still admire the headphone amp but right now, its not a priority.

4. I also purchased a Parasound JC3 Jr phono preamp. It improved the dynamics and the bass was tighter unlike the rounded loose sound on my previous phono preamp.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #988 of 1,178
I'm new to tube amplifiers and am really interested in the MHA200.
Two concerns I have with getting this though:

1. Volume knob issues

2. My DAC only has SE out, and I feel I won't be getting the most out of MHA200 if I don't feed balanced input into it.

So I'm thinking adding a preamp between my DAC and the MHA200 can potentially solve both of these problems.

At the moment, my desktop set up is:

Streamer (USB to)-> DAC (SE to)-> Violectric V281 headphone amplifier (XLR to) -> Focal Clear headphones

Does anyone have any idea if I can connect XLR out of V281 as the preamp into MHA200?
As far as I can find, the output impedance of V281 is < 0.1Ohm unbal. / < 0.2Ohm bal.??
What else can indicate if this match will be suitable? It will be great if I can make use of my current equipment.

Or any other tube amplifier or preamp options more suitable for my setup?
I did briefly consider Cayin HA-6A too, but all the "hissing" problems users kept reporting scared me away.

Looking for anyone's kind advice and wise words.
Thank you.

Apr 11, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #989 of 1,178
I'm new to tube amplifiers and am really interested in the MHA200.
Two concerns I have with getting this though:

1. Volume knob issues

2. My DAC only has SE out, and I feel I won't be getting the most out of MHA200 if I don't feed balanced input into it.

So I'm thinking adding a preamp between my DAC and the MHA200 can potentially solve both of these problems.

At the moment, my desktop set up is:

Streamer (USB to)-> DAC (SE to)-> Violectric V281 headphone amplifier (XLR to) -> Focal Clear headphones

Does anyone have any idea if I can connect XLR out of V281 as the preamp into MHA200?
As far as I can find, the output impedance of V281 is < 0.1Ohm unbal. / < 0.2Ohm bal.??
What else can indicate if this match will be suitable? It will be great if I can make use of my current equipment.

Or any other tube amplifier or preamp options more suitable for my setup?
I did briefly consider Cayin HA-6A too, but all the "hissing" problems users kept reporting scared me away.

Looking for anyone's kind advice and wise words.
Thank you.

The volume knob doesn't leave much wiggle room but honestly I have never had a problem getting something to a volume I want. I obviously would have preferred something more normal but it definitely shouldn't be the reason somebody either doesn't buy or returns it. My turntable preamp only has SE out and I probably won't be getting a balanced one any time soon, interested to hear if I'm missing out. My headphones use the 4 pin XLR though.

Apr 11, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #990 of 1,178
Hello,

I listened to the Mha 200 a few weeks ago.

My feelings about this amplifier are a bit split.
It's basically not badly made, but it does have 1-2 flaws.

As mentioned, the volume control.
Up to 12 o'clock everything is OK and actually loud enough.
But as soon as you go beyond 12 o'clock it becomes a problem.
You need a lot of sensitivity.
Unfortunately, it also tends to display certain things somewhat uncleanly when you go above 12 o'clock.
It really could have been solved better, given the price tag.

There are plenty of tube amplifiers out there that are cheaper and don't do this and above all don't need a preamplifier.

Soundwise:
The Dac was not the best with the Node 3, there is definitely room for improvement.
With the Feliks Euforia amplifier as a comparison, I have to say that the Eufoira has nothing to hide.
The Mha 200 had slightly better bass response, slightly warmer midrange, and slightly better detail with the standard tubes.

In my opinion, the impedance selector switch was not necessarily the best choice above 250 ohms.
32.80 ohm was okay with the Lcd 2.
But if you have 300 ohm headphones, it's a bit of a problem because with 250 ohm the headphones are a little bit slowed down and with 600 ohm they are better.
And I wonder why?
There is also potential to improve this.

The size I was shocked when I saw them, you think you are buying a masterpiece, big, strong, radiates sovereignty.
No, the good piece is quite small, but the weight is okay.

Should there ever be another tube-based Mha, I would like to see improvements exactly as described.
a better potentiometer experience without the need for a amplifier.
Impendance selection even better fine-tuned.
And the size maybe a bit bigger,and with the typical Vu meter would be a nice to have.

@SckT
Have a look at the Cayin ha 3A or even a Feliks Euforia Evo or the Anniversery version,or even the Elise.
They are both very close sounding amps with good roll possibilities in terms of tubes.
You don't need a preamp for either and you don't have the problem with the potentiometer.
And they are cheaper.
Take your time before you buy.
With the Ha 6A, some have reported that it was supposedly fixed with a better fuse.
The 6A would also be my choice if they had done without the step poti.
The option with the triode mode and choice between Kt88 and El34 is otherwise great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back