McIntosh MHA200 Impressions
Feb 16, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #752 of 1,203
5000$ for a Preamp is a bit Strong i find.
Even though the C8 looks damn good.
But I've already read that you shouldn't use a preamp with a dac because it can lead to interference.
More than a bit and yet it takes months to get one. Simply insanity but it is one good sounding well built piece of gear. The severe pain of entry left in a blink once I heard it. No slouch when it comes to ergonomics either. Needless to say there are many more cost effective solutions and rewarding McIntosh for the MHA200 volume design was not a bright move on my part.

Feb 17, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #753 of 1,203
As in inputs? No clue as I haven't tried them. No vinyl here due to space and some pet issues.
I assume they would be very good given the brand and how well all the other ins and outs work.
Btw how's the phono on that unit?
Vinyl is spectacular. The records just sparkle. I'm using a moving coil cartridge into the McIntosh MP100 phono stage. All those terms like soundstage and separation of voices. In spades.

Feb 17, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #754 of 1,203
Vinyl is spectacular. The records just sparkle. I'm using a moving coil cartridge into the McIntosh MP100 phono stage. All those terms like soundstage and separation of voices. In

Vinyl is spectacular. The records just sparkle. I'm using a moving coil cartridge into the McIntosh MP100 phono stage. All those terms like soundstage and separation of voices. In spades.
Does the C8 and MP100 have the same phono design?

Feb 18, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #755 of 1,203
I swapped out stock 12AT7s with matched NOS Mullard CV4024s. I find the Mullard tubes to be more smooth in the mids and top. Bass is ever so slightly softer than the stock tubes. However, I found these changes to be positive and will be keeping the tubes in the amp. Those who are looking for open and smooth mids, you should give these tubes a try!! Note - Be very patient when pulling the tubes out / in :)

Feb 18, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #757 of 1,203
As a potential headphone amplifier purchaser and McIntosh fan, the MHA 200 has been on my radar. Of course, all of this about "volume" control has been of concern. Many pages back a west coast McIntosh dealer addressed this issue.

So, it appears the MHA 200 was designed to be just a headphone amp; similar to the MC 275, 2301, 462, 1.25 etc/etc power amps and therefore needs to be feed by a pre-amp (for best results anyway). It is not uncommon for McIntosh to have output adjustments on their power amps; perhaps a two position switch or in some cases a "potentiometer" type device. At the other extreme, McIntosh offers the MHA 150; solid state a combo pre amp/ amp /headphone amp with DAC that can also be used with speakers. Unless I am missing something, buyers of the MHA 200 should use it with a pre-amp. If not something like the Woo WA22 or MHA 150 would be a better choice.

Now, the issue with the fit/finish/wobbly "volume" control is something else.

As an occasional headphone user, for now will continue to use the headphone output jack on my C1100 and in full disclosure have not as of yet looked at the MHA 200.

All commentary welcome.

John
The volume knob on my unit is pretty good to use I find. It does not wobble and it turns nice & snug. What I care more would be how well volume tracks left / right balance and I am happy that MHA200 tracks the channel balance fairly well to my ears :)

Feb 18, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #758 of 1,203
I swapped out stock 12AT7s with matched NOS Mullard CV4024s. I find the Mullard tubes to be more smooth in the mids and top. Bass is ever so slightly softer than the stock tubes. However, I found these changes to be positive and will be keeping the tubes in the amp. Those who are looking for open and smooth mids, you should give these tubes a try!! Note - Be very patient when pulling the tubes out / in :)
Update: These tubes rock!!! must have for MHA200. After some use, bass is now very tight, still smooth open mids. Soundstage is more open too. :)

Feb 19, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #760 of 1,203
we’re doing a little repair on our YouTube account and will post at 25 minute video with Warren and I discussing our initial impressions and listening gear we used to listen to the MHA200. The MHA200 doesn’t suck! 😂
Soon as someone says the dumb volume or "unity gain" control is fixed... I'll buy one.

I refuse to use a preamp to fix the volume control linearity problem, My Spring 3 KTE DAC puts out plenty of power.

Feb 19, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #761 of 1,203
The question to me is:

- Do we get better sound quality when using a dedicated pre-amp with the MHA-200?
- Or do we lose sound quality when using a dedicated pre-amp with the MHA-200?

In the past, with other electronics, I do have encountered both situations:
Once a pre-amp integrated in-between a CD-player with adjustable volume control and a power amp did increase sound quality, in another case it degraded sound quality.

Has anyone tested the use of the MHA-200 with and without a (very good) pre-amp....?

Greetings from Bavaria,
Alexander

Feb 20, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #762 of 1,203
The question to me is:

- Do we get better sound quality when using a dedicated pre-amp with the MHA-200?
- Or do we lose sound quality when using a dedicated pre-amp with the MHA-200?

In the past, with other electronics, I do have encountered both situations:
Once a pre-amp integrated in-between a CD-player with adjustable volume control and a power amp did increase sound quality, in another case it degraded sound quality.

Has anyone tested the use of the MHA-200 with and without a (very good) pre-amp....?

Greetings from Bavaria,
Alexander
Based on my experience, I prefer controlling the volume using mha200. Adding more gear in the channel may or may not yield better results though.

Feb 20, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #763 of 1,203
Based on my experience, I prefer controlling the volume using mha200. Adding more gear in the channel may or may not yield better results though.
Same here, I put my Dave in DAC mode and control the volume on my MHA200. Works great for me.

Feb 20, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #764 of 1,203
I find with the higher voltage and strong current produced by modern DAC's equals or exceeds the output of the most preamps. Eliminating the unnecessary circuitry better preserves sound quality. Preamps are still helpful if turntables are used.

"Back in the day" people had tape systems, record players, FM tuners, etc all requiring preampfification. I lost count of how many friends and acquaintances I talked into removing the preamp. Good Lordy, some I have pry it away. Surprising the lack of willingness to simply move an interconnect from the DAC to the amp. All but one never used a pre-amp again.

Many of us are 100% digital, and this is largely a piece of nostalgia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back