McIntosh MHA200 Impressions
Jan 5, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #661 of 1,177
Hello, any reliable tube online shop shipping internationally? I am planning to replace all four of the tubes..... enough for the hiss
TubeDepot.com & BangyBangTubes on eBay. Have gotten some really nice stuff from them and sounds fantastic.

Attachments

• IMG_0616.JPG
    IMG_0616.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Jan 6, 2022 at 3:21 AM Post #662 of 1,177
Jan 6, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #663 of 1,177
Hi all! I keep hearing this amp being recommended so I thought I'd check in and get some insights and opinions from some owners. My current headphone stable:
  • Senn HD650
  • LCD-4
  • LCD-5
  • 1266 TC
What kind of pairing and performance can I expect with these headphones should I decide to jump on this amp? It looks great and I don't currently own a tube amp so this one seems great and is at an agreeable price point. I read earlier in the thread that there were some concerns about what it can do with the 1266 TC's but a company rep suggested that it should be okay with them. Of course there's a difference between "okay" and being able to drive a pair of headphones, so a second opinion from a less biased source would be helpful. Thank you. :D

Jan 6, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #664 of 1,177
Hi all! I keep hearing this amp being recommended so I thought I'd check in and get some insights and opinions from some owners. My current headphone stable:
  • Senn HD650
  • LCD-4
  • LCD-5
  • 1266 TC
What kind of pairing and performance can I expect with these headphones should I decide to jump on this amp? It looks great and I don't currently own a tube amp so this one seems great and is at an agreeable price point. I read earlier in the thread that there were some concerns about what it can do with the 1266 TC's but a company rep suggested that it should be okay with them. Of course there's a difference between "okay" and being able to drive a pair of headphones, so a second opinion from a less biased source would be helpful. Thank you. :D
Can tell you right away it won't power the 1266 TC to its fullest. The LCD-4 and LCD-5 aren't too far away from that either, they require some power to really bring out the best in them. The HD650's would sound great on the MHA200. Keep in mind the amp only outputs 500mW of power. Compared the HEKse and Susvara on the MHA and the HE1Kse clearly sounded better solely because of efficiency.

Jan 8, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #665 of 1,177
Are tube problems on the mha200 common? I don't know anything about the device, so it doesn't seem like it can do anything if it breaks down.

Jan 8, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #666 of 1,177
Are tube problems on the mha200 common? I don't know anything about the device, so it doesn't seem like it can do anything if it breaks down.
Hard to say if it's common. The sample size of people with issues here probably doesn't cover all the purchases. I've had no tube issues with mine. I purchased some NOS tubes to try something different, but not because I had issues with the stock tubes and have had many hours of listening to the stock tubes without issues.

That being said all tube amps will eventually need replacement tubes and having back stock of some is a good idea. Once a tube goes out the amp is useless until it's replaced.

Jan 9, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #667 of 1,177
A few forum members have had problems with the original power tubes. Forums tend to amplify problems as people post when they have issues... Only McIntosh knows if tube issues are common but a scan of this thread leads down the path of the worst case scenario - budget for a non OEM set of power tubes and enjoy your amp if you decide to buy. The amp is solid and performs. The supplied power tubes, maybe not so much. The tubes aren't expensive, are easy to source, and an owner can change them easily. I should mention, being as you have an Atom HE... it is a fantastic pre amp for the MHA200. You have lots of kit that will pair well.

Jan 11, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #669 of 1,177
Can tell you right away it won't power the 1266 TC to its fullest. The LCD-4 and LCD-5 aren't too far away from that either, they require some power to really bring out the best in them. The HD650's would sound great on the MHA200. Keep in mind the amp only outputs 500mW of power. Compared the HEKse and Susvara on the MHA and the HE1Kse clearly sounded better solely because of efficiency.
So 500mW of power really doesn't tell the whole story when it comes to the MHA200, as it puts out 500mW into ANY load, due to the unique transformer topology. Demanding headphones like the 1266 TC need lots of power, because most amps dip far below their rated power (2W, 4W, etc.) during demanding transients, so the extra power provides an elevated floor during transients. The MHA200 always delivers 500mW, even during transients.

As always, have a demo and let your ears decide...

Jan 11, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #670 of 1,177
So 500mW of power really doesn't tell the whole story when it comes to the MHA200, as it puts out 500mW into ANY load, due to the unique transformer topology. Demanding headphones like the 1266 TC need lots of power, because most amps dip far below their rated power (2W, 4W, etc.) during demanding transients, so the extra power provides an elevated floor during transients. The MHA200 always delivers 500mW, even during transients.

As always, have a demo and let your ears decide...
I’ll be putting this to the test very, very soon. My MHA200 should be here next week. I have some headphones I can’t wait to try with it including the TC’s.

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #671 of 1,177
I have had one for three months, works great with my 650's, LCDX & HD800s. Had one tube fail and its been fine since replaced. Will try some NOS once I find my stash.

Jan 20, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #673 of 1,177
What power cable are you guys using? Thanks.
I just picked up the Audioquest NRG-Z2 for my MHA200. There aren't a lot of options for 2-Pole terminal on the McIntosh. This seems like the best option so far.

Jan 20, 2022 at 8:01 AM Post #675 of 1,177
What power cable are you guys using? Thanks.
I'm using the Tributaries Model 6P-C7 power cable. Durable power cord. Another one I considered was the Shunyata Venom V14 with the C7 connector. There is much debate in the forums on whether power cables make a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back