McIntosh MHA200 Impressions
Dec 21, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #646 of 1,161
It seems that you're not the only one experiencing this red plate issue with the MHA200. I have a MHA200 coming soon, hence my interest into some of these issues. I'm looking at a set of Mullard 6201's as a tube option and I was curious to how they sound. The Utopia's is one of the headphones I'm looking forward to hearing with the MHA200.

Is the red plating a tube defect or is it something the MHA200 doing to cause it?
I’ve had my MHA200 for a few months now and no red plating with the original stock tubes yet. I’m thinking that it is tube issue for some and not an inherent MHA200 (design) problem. But I am following this thread closely.

Dec 21, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #647 of 1,161
I’ve had my MHA200 for a few months now and no red plating with the original stock tubes yet. I’m thinking that it is tube issue for some and not an inherent MHA200 (design) problem. But I am following this thread closely.
Thanks for the response. Tube issues I can deal with. Problems with the unit itself would be a little tougher to handle.

Dec 21, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #648 of 1,161
It seems that you're not the only one experiencing this red plate issue with the MHA200. I have a MHA200 coming soon, hence my interest into some of these issues. I'm looking at a set of Mullard 6201's as a tube option and I was curious to how they sound. The Utopia's is one of the headphones I'm looking forward to hearing with the MHA200.

Is the red plating a tube defect or is it something the MHA200 doing to cause it?
My MHA200 went to McIntosh Service with the red plating tube. They told it was a tube issue, tube replaced. So far so good.

Dec 21, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #649 of 1,161
My MHA200 went to McIntosh Service with the red plating tube. They told it was a tube issue, tube replaced. So far so good.
Great news! I'll be joining the club soon.

Dec 21, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #650 of 1,161
I will also confirm that I've no red plating issues. I have had my MHA200 for almost six months. I have two sets of tubes (stock and Mullard/RCA) with no issues on either. Probably somewhere in the 400-500 hour range of listening, mostly on the stock BH7As.

Dec 28, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #651 of 1,161
I will also confirm that I've no red plating issues. I have had my MHA200 for almost six months. I have two sets of tubes (stock and Mullard/RCA) with no issues on either. Probably somewhere in the 400-500 hour range of listening, mostly on the stock BH7As.
Had same issue with a Mac power tube go hissy on me. Agree that the Mac JJ tubes are extensively defective. Did not want any more bad Mac tubes so did not opt for warranty replacement. Instead, I replaced with a match pair of new production EH BH7a's. Only $42 delivered. No issue since and I can't tell any difference in sound performance. I also replaced the drivers immediately with NOS GB Mullards for improved listening enjoyment and have not had any issue with them. But those were over $100 for the matched pair. Hopefully I am good for a long time now.

Dec 29, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #652 of 1,161
Had same issue with a Mac power tube go hissy on me. Agree that the Mac JJ tubes are extensively defective. Did not want any more bad Mac tubes so did not opt for warranty replacement. Instead, I replaced with a match pair of new production EH BH7a's. Only $42 delivered. No issue since and I can't tell any difference in sound performance. I also replaced the drivers immediately with NOS GB Mullards for improved listening enjoyment and have not had any issue with them. But those were over $100 for the matched pair. Hopefully I am good for a long time now.
Yeah...my second set of 1 month old Mac power tubes has just gone a tad hissy as well...may try the Electro Harmonix BH7a's...

FWIW I also recently installed a set of Mullards per the Postive Feedback review...I don't know that it made any significant difference in sound...

Dec 30, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #653 of 1,161
Yeah...my second set of 1 month old Mac power tubes has just gone a tad hissy as well...may try the Electro Harmonix BH7a's...

FWIW I also recently installed a set of Mullards per the Postive Feedback review...I don't know that it made any significant difference in sound...
I had a similar experience with one tube crackling after a few days. All have now been replaced with EH power tubes and Cryo matched Mullards and all have been completely silent since. I recommend the Mullards, pricey but worth it.

Dec 31, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #657 of 1,161
They told me they tested it and tubes were running perfectly for 10 days
Same here.

No problems with EH Gold 12BH7's. I've had Mullard CV4024's and NOS RCA Blackplates in the 12AT7 spots, both reliable and sound excellent.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #658 of 1,161
Compared to TT2, mids and vocals are definitely more intimate and up-front (which is nice for cans with recessed vocals) but are more diffused across the stage. Vocals feel like they're wrapped around my head -- like a halo of voices -- which means a loss of focus on the center image where vocals usually live. Could be a detriment for some. This presentation also contributes to reduced anterior-posterior depth and layering.

BTW I'm using the vintage Sylvania gold brand tubes, not using stock tubes.

Jan 5, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #659 of 1,161
I had a similar experience with one tube crackling after a few days. All have now been replaced with EH power tubes and Cryo matched Mullards and all have been completely silent since. I recommend the Mullards, pricey but worth it.
I'm curious...is the hissing/crackling due to the BH7a power tubes, or due to the CV4024 tubes? Can it be from either?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back