McIntosh MHA200 Impressions
Sep 16, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #436 of 1,195
I was trying a McIntosh MHA200 with T+A Solitaire P. While the shop was organizing a dac I quickly listened to the chain from my Hiby R8 DAP SE line out. It was just one song, the "Alone" from Beyries. The magic might be caused by the MHA200 (my first encounter with a proper tube amp), but I really liked the sound. The bass was so spacey. Actually I liked it even more than from the Burson Conductor 3R preamp out afterwards. It felt somehow more organic.

Now I am very excited to hear how the Empyrean pairs with the MHA200.
Thank you very much for your feedback.
I was thinking of using my DAP LO using 4.4mm out to 2 3pins balanced into MHA200 2 3pins Input.
This is for future tube amp for my bed companion with Utopia and HE1000SE.

Sep 17, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #437 of 1,195
Thank you very much for your feedback.
I was thinking of using my DAP LO using 4.4mm out to 2 3pins balanced into MHA200 2 3pins Input.
This is for future tube amp for my bed companion with Utopia and HE1000SE.
Good idea. I will also try from the Kann Cube 4pin XLR out to the 2x3pin XLR.

Btw the shop also had HE1000se, which I have been eager to listen to for ages, so I tried. It was nice on the MHA200, but lacking in the bass department to my ears compared to the Solitaire P.

Sep 17, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #438 of 1,195
Good idea. I will also try from the Kann Cube 4pin XLR out to the 2x3pin XLR.

Btw the shop also had HE1000se, which I have been eager to listen to for ages, so I tried. It was nice on the MHA200, but lacking in the bass department to my ears compared to the Solitaire P.
All Hifiman cans Lack in the Bass compared to the Solitaire P.

Sep 17, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #439 of 1,195
OK, after a three month wait I finally got it yesterday. First impressions? McIntosh sound is good, not breathtaking. Funky volume control? Same as everyone else, even though it’s the McIntosh MP100 phono stage through Mogami balanced cable into the 200. Would have thought that the Mac-Mac combo might solve that but no.

So let me first say that from my limited experience the sound is not better than the headphone output of my Marantz PM8006 integrated amp. Different, yes. Better, no. The Mac sound is richer, more robust. I’ll get used to it and probably prefer it with time. The Marantz emphasizes detail over the Mac.

Having never been accustomed to the Marantz detail I may have ended up valuing it more. From stylus to ear I have the Marantz TT15S1 with Audio Technica AT OC9XML moving coil cartridge, the MP100 phono stage, the 200 and Focal Utopia phones. I think that equals or exceeds the Mac MT5 using the similar Clearaudio table.

My first impression of the 200 is probably spoiled by the huge improvement I got by switching to the Utopia phones. I have noticed improvement with every step I have made but none come close to the Utopias. That being said I will stick with the Macs and get accustomed to their rich signature sound. The detail that is emphasized by the Marantz TT15 is somewhat overwhelmed by the richness of the Macs. Still there and I don’t have to strain to hear it. Still there, just not in Spades.

Volume control? Disappointed as expressed by most on this string. Deal breaker? Nope. A different Ohmic value pot would probably solve that at the expense of some other capability but I doubt it would harm the 200/Utopia combo. Maybe someone will experiment with this and find a DIY to solve this problem. But it’s not that bad. It’s easy to want a volume you can’t get with the knob, just a little too loud or a little too soft, not exactly where you want to be. But the overall sound is good enough for it to be a keeper.
Nice write up. I think the "richness" you correctly identify with the MHA200 is the signature McIntosh midrange that defines much of their tubed product line. I also agree that the MHA200 make a great pairing with Focal cans. I'm using OG Clears with the MHA 200. I find the MHA200 adds the perfect amount of musicality to the Clears, which sound a touch too clinical when used with solid state amplification. Before buying the MHA200 I was probably 50/50 on whether I preferred my LCD-2F's or my OG Clears. Now that I have the MHA200, I far prefer my OG Clears and rarely listen to my LCD-2F's

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #440 of 1,195
Nice write up. I think the "richness" you correctly identify with the MHA200 is the signature McIntosh midrange that defines much of their tubed product line.
McIntosh = amazing mids even using their solid state products

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Sep 17, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #441 of 1,195
McIntosh = amazing mids even using their solid state products
In my experience I have found the MHA200 is very responsive to high quality power cords. My first inclination was because the unit is relatively inexpensive compared to typical 2 channel components that I should not spend a lot on a cord. I have found that it responds to power cords as much or more than CD players amps etc. I am using a $3k Synergistic Research Atmosphere X level 3 cord on it. Costs more than the unit itself but for me it is worth it as it brings the HHA200 to a whole new level just as similar level of cords do on my reference CD player and 2 channel amp. Don't hesitate to try some other cords.

Sep 17, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #442 of 1,195
In my experience I have found the MHA200 is very responsive to high quality power cords. My first inclination was because the unit is relatively inexpensive compared to typical 2 channel components that I should not spend a lot on a cord. I have found that it responds to power cords as much or more than CD players amps etc. I am using a $3k Synergistic Research Atmosphere X level 3 cord on it. Costs more than the unit itself but for me it is worth it as it brings the HHA200 to a whole new level just as similar level of cords do on my reference CD player and 2 channel amp. Don't hesitate to try some other cords.

My bet is you could get the same result with a power cable upgrade from many companies from $100 - $300 range also.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Sep 17, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #443 of 1,195
My bet is you could get the same result with a power cable upgrade from many companies from $100 - $300 range also.
Agreed that cables in the $100 - $300 would likely be an improvement. I tried 8 different cables ranging in price from modest to expensive and each had its own flavor but for me the SR cable was at another level than the others. I will add that I choose different cables for my CD player and 2 channel amp. I think it is personal preference and synergy with the component or system. My main point is to try other power cables as most any reputable aftermarket cable is likely better than the stock diminutive cable and the price of the component should not limit your personal choice.

Sep 17, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #444 of 1,195
Agreed that cables in the $100 - $300 would likely be an improvement. I tried 8 different cables ranging in price from modest to expensive and each had its own flavor but for me the SR cable was at another level than the others. I will add that I choose different cables for my CD player and 2 channel amp. I think it is personal preference and synergy with the component or system. My main point is to try other power cables as most any reputable aftermarket cable is likely better than the stock diminutive cable and the price of the component should not limit your personal choice.

That would be the case with almost any powered audio device. Manufacturers don’t typically include high quality cables

It’s great you found your preference 👍🏻

Sep 20, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #445 of 1,195
OK, after a three month wait I finally got it yesterday. First impressions? McIntosh sound is good, not breathtaking. Funky volume control? Same as everyone else, even though it’s the McIntosh MP100 phono stage through Mogami balanced cable into the 200. Would have thought that the Mac-Mac combo might solve that but no.

So let me first say that from my limited experience the sound is not better than the headphone output of my Marantz PM8006 integrated amp. Different, yes. Better, no. The Mac sound is richer, more robust. I’ll get used to it and probably prefer it with time. The Marantz emphasizes detail over the Mac.

Having never been accustomed to the Marantz detail I may have ended up valuing it more. From stylus to ear I have the Marantz TT15S1 with Audio Technica AT OC9XML moving coil cartridge, the MP100 phono stage, the 200 and Focal Utopia phones. I think that equals or exceeds the Mac MT5 using the similar Clearaudio table.

My first impression of the 200 is probably spoiled by the huge improvement I got by switching to the Utopia phones. I have noticed improvement with every step I have made but none come close to the Utopias. That being said I will stick with the Macs and get accustomed to their rich signature sound. The detail that is emphasized by the Marantz TT15 is somewhat overwhelmed by the richness of the Macs. Still there and I don’t have to strain to hear it. Still there, just not in Spades.

Volume control? Disappointed as expressed by most on this string. Deal breaker? Nope. A different Ohmic value pot would probably solve that at the expense of some other capability but I doubt it would harm the 200/Utopia combo. Maybe someone will experiment with this and find a DIY to solve this problem. But it’s not that bad. It’s easy to want a volume you can’t get with the knob, just a little too loud or a little too soft, not exactly where you want to be. But the overall sound is good enough for it to be a keeper.
OK, so how good is it? Having none to which I can compare I can only offer impressions as to how it sounds compared to the headphone output of my integrated amplifier. At first I didn’t hear a big difference. But having accustomed myself to the McIntosh sound I have to say that it is impressive. And not just impressive but a joy to hear. I’m listening to all of my vinyl and almost all of it sounds better. Almost as if it’s all new. Prior to this improvement meant hearing individual details. Now it’s a symphony of new details. They sound like new records being played for the first time. Yeah, that good.

Sep 21, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #446 of 1,195
Agree it's very sensitive to power cables. Just returned a Wireworld Mini-Eclipse - it sounded very detailed but thin.

Auditioning another one from Audio Envy at the moment, the Ocean Elite 2P. I liked the sonics and speed of their lower end OE-Light, but wanted a meatier sound. So far, so good.

Sep 21, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #447 of 1,195
Agree it's very sensitive to power cables. Just returned a Wireworld Mini-Eclipse - it sounded very detailed but thin.

Auditioning another one from Audio Envy at the moment, the Ocean Elite 2P. I liked the sonics and speed of their lower end OE-Light, but wanted a meatier sound. So far, so good.
Ok. Cross out Wireworld....
For future reference....

Oct 1, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #449 of 1,195
Just got mine, using Utopia to start, sounds much fuller with the 100-200ohm selected. Wow, utopias have never ever sounded better.. If it’s this good out of the box I think it’s a keeper.
Also using it with a Roon nucleus and using the Roon app to adjust volume, I keep it a hair past 12 on mcintosh

Attachments

• 9222D313-C38D-425F-BE33-2056DB22091B.jpeg
    9222D313-C38D-425F-BE33-2056DB22091B.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back