McIntosh MHA200 Impressions
May 23, 2024 at 11:25 PM Post #1,187 of 1,203
May 24, 2024 at 12:00 AM Post #1,188 of 1,203
Oh damn! RIP wallet!
I tried not to read up on tube rolling threads but honestly hard to resist tho and now that someone has mentioned the telefunken for V1/V3 positions…🥹

May 24, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #1,189 of 1,203
I have read a review somewhere that LCD-5 + MHA200 combo is not good, but when I had a go at listening I thought that the reviewer must have been deaf or biased (paid to promote another amp?). I have tried several amps but so far MHA200 is one of the best tube amps for LCD-5. I also liked very much Woo Audio WA-23 Luna, but could not justify paying 3 times more for the same sound. There is another amp to try - Burson Soloist Voyager, but this is a solid state amp and I am only looking at tube amps.

Thanks for your suggestion, I’ll try these tubes
How did lcd-5 sound with mha200 ?

May 25, 2024 at 2:59 AM Post #1,190 of 1,203
I tried not to read up on tube rolling threads but honestly hard to resist tho and now that someone has mentioned the telefunken for V1/V3 positions…🥹
Yes, telefunken can be expensive but you may find some reasonable prices too

May 25, 2024 at 5:18 AM Post #1,191 of 1,203
Let me compare this to pairing them with the solid-state devices I own (Chord Hugo2/Benchmark). The pairing with mha200 is warmer but not overly tubey. Vocals are sweet and 'meaty.' The soundstage is narrower and less airy but does not lack dynamics (though it feels a bit slower?). I often find myself gravitating towards jazz and vocal music when listening to this pairing.

May 25, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #1,192 of 1,203
Let me compare this to pairing them with the solid-state devices I own (Chord Hugo2/Benchmark). The pairing with mha200 is warmer but not overly tubey. Vocals are sweet and 'meaty.' The soundstage is narrower and less airy but does not lack dynamics (though it feels a bit slower?). I often find myself gravitating towards jazz and vocal music when listening to this pairing.
Thanks for this great comparison. What headphones or IEMs are you using.

May 25, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #1,193 of 1,203

I am listening mostly vocals and jazz and occasionally operas. I tried listening to rap (my sons music).
This amp does not have a built-in DAC and this makes it a pure analogue amp.

The match is very good. Can it be better with a different amp? Maybe. This is why audiphones are constantly searching for the next level sound.
I like a warm sound and enjoy MHA200 + LCD-5. As the other head-fi'er noticed "not overly tubey". I am currently waiting for tubes to roll. Stay tuned...
With jazz warm and even overly warm sound is very good IMHO.

Instruments separation is amazing.
Saxophone, double bass, cello, violine and guitar and go live in your head.
Try to listen to Apocalyptica "Nothing Else Matters" via Tidal with this combo. You will understand what I mean.
With a more bass present music, I can hear a dust going up when drums are punched.
Absolutely spending.

Operas on the other hand are more plain. Maybe it was down to source. I have not experimented enough to conclude.

Cons: the volume is really usable in the dial range from 00:00 to 02:00 maybe 03:00 max.

LCD-5 is a low impedance headphones and whereas the MHA200 has no problem driving them being set on 32ohms impedance, McIntosh is saying that
even 3 ohms headphones can be driven, but MHA200 will deliver less than rated output. Nevertheless, the output level and range that the MHA200 delivers
should be many times more than ever needed.

May 26, 2024 at 5:42 AM Post #1,194 of 1,203
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back