MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100
Oct 4, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #1,081 of 1,316

Generally i have found the quality of music through the USB connection not as good as through coax. I am not sure if it is an issue with the computer, itunes, cable or the MHA100. I have the latest generation macmini connected via USB, and a CD player connected through coax. I ripped a CD into itunes, AAC format, and i seem to hear some white noise when I play it compared to the CD. I also have the impression the music is flatter over USB.

Oct 4, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #1,082 of 1,316
Interesting that you find that there is white noise.  There definitely shouldn't be as it's a digital connection.  Flatter I don't know.  If the coax sounds better for you, then that's cool.  FYI though at an audio show Ron Cornelius himself said that the last iteration(s) of Mac OS has not been kind to audio quality.  I didn't go into details on why, but the comment came because I was asking him why he was using a windows laptop to feed the MHA-100.  I haven't looked into this deeper, since I don't use Mac's anyway.  But many I have read use some players which work quite well for them.  iTunes usually isn't the choice though.  

Generally i have found the quality of music through the USB connection not as good as through coax. I am not sure if it is an issue with the computer, itunes, cable or the MHA100. I have the latest generation macmini connected via USB, and a CD player connected through coax. I ripped a CD into itunes, AAC format, and i seem to hear some white noise when I play it compared to the CD. I also have the impression the music is flatter over USB.

Oct 5, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #1,083 of 1,316
Generally i have found the quality of music through the USB connection not as good as through coax. I am not sure if it is an issue with the computer, itunes, cable or the MHA100. ...
Just know you can rule the MHA100 out as the source of the problem. I had numerous people recognize the superiority of HD remasters streamed to the MHA100; even just this week end during a party we had. Something is seriously wrong with the computer source if your USB input when connected to the computer but no music playing is not silent.

Maybe consider getting the Shiit USB isolated device they sell? Tho what you describe may need more than just power isolation.

Oct 7, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #1,084 of 1,316

I would not use iTunes as ripper and player. I use XLD to rip in either FLAC (with no compression) or WAV. I personally use FLAC because of the tagging. For player I would recommend Audirvana or JRiver for Mac. You will get much better sound.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Oct 7, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #1,085 of 1,316
Agreed with XLD for ripping.  I rip to Apple Lossless and use Audirvana+ on top of iTunes.  
Quote:
  I would not use iTunes as ripper and player. I use XLD to rip in either FLAC (with no compression) or WAV. I personally use FLAC because of the tagging. For player I would recommend Audirvana or JRiver for Mac. You will get much better sound.

Oct 8, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #1,086 of 1,316
Great thank you everyone for the guidance. Surprised to hear that the apple/itunes is problematic, but will try out some of these solutions. Btw I just connected the MHA100 to an integrated AV system from Bang & Olufsen and it works great - I can now share one set of active speakers between my TV and the MHA100. I am very pleased with the MHA100 - really so much more than a headphone amp. 

The only question I have, is there a ground somewhere on the MHA100? There is a ground wire from the MT5, and was looking for somewhere to connect on the MHA100 but could not find it.

Oct 9, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #1,087 of 1,316
  Great thank you everyone for the guidance. Surprised to hear that the apple/itunes is problematic, but will try out some of these solutions. Btw I just connected the MHA100 to an integrated AV system from Bang & Olufsen and it works great - I can now share one set of active speakers between my TV and the MHA100. I am very pleased with the MHA100 - really so much more than a headphone amp. 

The only question I have, is there a ground somewhere on the MHA100? There is a ground wire from the MT5, and was looking for somewhere to connect on the MHA100 but could not find it.

The ground would be on your phono preamp.

Oct 13, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #1,088 of 1,316

Hmmm....Blah.
I just manually re-ripped about a 2.5K CD collection in iTunes.
It's like half my music is listed under "various artists".
Among other beefs.

In the meantime, is anyone using their MHA-100 in a speaker rig hooked up to a power amplifier?
I've been sorta, kinda keeping my eyes open for a MA2275 integrated but keep finding myself wondering if hooking up a MC275 to the MHA's preamp outputs might do just as well (and save a few bucks). MC275s are easily available, the MA2275s - not so much.
Does anyone have some experience and comments on the MHA's preamp section?

Nov 15, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #1,089 of 1,316
With all the good things I've been hearing about the MHA100 I'm keen to demo it with my HD800 and SE1000; currently trying to find somewhere in or around London where I can do that. But it is expensive, and far more so in the UK than in the States. I believe it is about $4.5k (plus sales tax?) in the States but is £5k (incl. tax) in the UK. With current exchange rates I would have expect it to be about £4k. Other top-end American gear I've investigated conforms with that price differential, so why is it different with McIntosh?

Nov 15, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #1,090 of 1,316

That is a 50% premium in the UK...is McIntosh a big seller in the UK or the rest of Europe at these prices? At the end of the day you have to account for VAT, import tariff, distributor margin, transport, etc, on top of the store margin. You are looking at 24.5% VAT+tariff alone.

We have the same issue in the US with european furniture/lighting and clothing - usually paying anywhere from 30%-50% premium in the US. I am wondering if you tried calling a US dealer whether they could order and ship to you a 240V version of the product. You may save a bit, not too much though, once you add transport.

In terms of quality, the MHA100 is excellent. I used it with HD600 and then the MHP1000. It seems to bring the best out of each headphone that is used. And while I initially bought the MHA100 just for headphones, I subsequently connected it to speakers and feed it with a macmini, turntable/phono pre-amp, and CD player. This is much more than a headphone amp, if you decide to go that direction.

Nov 16, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #1,091 of 1,316

In terms of quality, the MHA100 is excellent. I used it with HD600 and then the MHP1000. It seems to bring the best out of each headphone that is used. And while I initially bought the MHA100 just for headphones, I subsequently connected it to speakers and feed it with a macmini, turntable/phono pre-amp, and CD player. This is much more than a headphone amp, if you decide to go that direction.

I agree.  Honestly I end up buying and selling a lot of gear just to try new stuff.  I can't really find another piece that would replace the Mcintosh for a desktop setup, thus it has stayed.

With limited space it does the job of a nice integrated with a small(ish) footprint to run passive speakers and has a beefy headamp.  While I never was a huge fan of the DAC it has, it's still nice to have it as a feature.   It can really replace a lot of clutter on a desktop system.

Nov 16, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #1,092 of 1,316
That is a 50% premium in the UK...is McIntosh a big seller in the UK or the rest of Europe at these prices? At the end of the day you have to account for VAT, import tariff, distributor margin, transport, etc, on top of the store margin. You are looking at 24.5% VAT+tariff alone.

We have the same issue in the US with european furniture/lighting and clothing - usually paying anywhere from 30%-50% premium in the US. I am wondering if you tried calling a US dealer whether they could order and ship to you a 240V version of the product. You may save a bit, not too much though, once you add transport.

I agree.  Honestly I end up buying and selling a lot of gear just to try new stuff.  I can't really find another piece that would replace the Mcintosh for a desktop setup, thus it has stayed.

With limited space it does the job of a nice integrated with a small(ish) footprint to run passive speakers and has a beefy headamp.  While I never was a huge fan of the DAC it has, it's still nice to have it as a feature.   It can really replace a lot of clutter on a desktop system.
Thanks Magneto/Barid. I'll try to get a demo somewhere. I'm working up a headphone system so not really interested in its speaker-driving capabilities. Not sure I would even need the DAC function as I have the Hugo, which I've read is thought by many to be the better DAC. Cheers.

Dec 12, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #1,095 of 1,316
Surprise surprise its twice as much in the UK!! WHY? can I ask?

Import taxes?
VAT?
Small UK market and high distributor mark-up?
Plus the fact that stuff is just plain expensive in the UK?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back