MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100
Aug 21, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #1,051 of 1,316

My understanding is that the firmware is outsourced. While in-house expertise might be quicker it might not necessarily be an improvement. Sometimes best to outsource to folks with the expertise already.

Because a few gripes on Head-fi isn't representative or indicative of a firmware problem.

Also: Firmware can be expensive to produce.

I actually produce firmware so I am quite in touch with what it takes to create and fix it and what constitutes a problem with it.  I have communicated the problem to their engineer directly and in detail and their response was to simply acknowledge it was broken and ignore it. It was a contractor.

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #1,052 of 1,316
Then it is your word against the manufacturer.
Forgive me but still not very convincing.

Aug 22, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #1,054 of 1,316
Not sure how pervasive the issues are, but I'm sure if they get tech support tickets logged, then it'll be fixed, even if it's just a few customers.  Once the issue is confirmed and isolated that is.  The firmware may be expensive etc, but I'm sure with their years of experience and track record of servicing even really old units, they take care of their customers.  It is an odd thing to actually error out on the last track and it seems repeatable.  Maybe it's not a critical problem so to them it's not worth it to fix it?  Since iTunes is a moving target as they keep updating the software.  

Aug 22, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #1,055 of 1,316
  Who's trying to convince you?  I don't really care what you think about it.

Right. That's why you're flogging a dead horse in a thread devoted to a product you don't own?

Not sure how pervasive the issues are, but I'm sure if they get tech support tickets logged, then it'll be fixed, even if it's just a few customers.  Once the issue is confirmed and isolated that is.  The firmware may be expensive etc, but I'm sure with their years of experience and track record of servicing even really old units, they take care of their customers.  It is an odd thing to actually error out on the last track and it seems repeatable.  Maybe it's not a critical problem so to them it's not worth it to fix it?  Since iTunes is a moving target as they keep updating the software.  

This mirrors my impressions more than the "corporate hurt pride" tosh.

Aug 22, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #1,056 of 1,316

Right. That's why you're flogging a dead horse in a thread devoted to a product you don't own?

This mirrors my impressions more than the "corporate hurt pride" tosh.

Wrong.  That's why you are trolling my post in a thread regarding a product I do own that has a problem the manufacturer won't fix.

Aug 22, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #1,057 of 1,316

Wrong.  That's why you are trolling my post in a thread regarding a product I do own that has a problem the manufacturer won't fix.

Would it be too much to suggest you write your own firmware patch then?

If not, how many owners would have to report the same problem before a firmware update becomes legitimate?

I haven't been reading the same issues with the Mac on any other forum.

That said, I'm not actually suggesting a firmware update might not be warranted. For a lot of manufacturers, it seems a FW update is almost perfunctory some time after a product hits the market. I just don't see how a few disparate events mentioned here are indicative of a firmware issue rather than problems at source.

Not to mention the corporate mendacity being implied in this thread ...

Aug 22, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #1,058 of 1,316
Im just going to leave this here.

Mine had a weird issue but turns out it had to do with an external power supply. It's been working great ever since I got rid of the UPS. I took it to a headfi meet recently, transported it a Hardigg case and it worked great. Everyone that listened had positive comments on the MHA/MHP combo.

I hope they don't come out with a tube version at least for another couple years...

Aug 22, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #1,059 of 1,316

Would it be too much to suggest you write your own firmware patch then?

If not, how many owners would have to report the same problem before a firmware update becomes legitimate?

I haven't been reading the same issues with the Mac on any other forum.

That said, I'm not actually suggesting a firmware update might not be warranted. For a lot of manufacturers, it seems a FW update is almost perfunctory some time after a product hits the market. I just don't see how a few disparate events mentioned here are indicative of a firmware issue rather than problems at source.

Not to mention the corporate mendacity being implied in this thread ...

I told them I would be happy to fix the bug for them for free but ofcourse you need the source code and an entire dev environment including custom headers and schematics to do that, so apparently it would be too much to ask as they ignored that suggestion as well.  What I saw with them was a company too proud to admit their mistakes and without even a true firmware engineer actually on staff.  So yeah the limited number of people who bought these who care enough to complain is it worth it for them to pay the contractor to fix the bug, obviously not; entirely not the right attitude to deliver when you are marketing your products as engineered with no compromises, best in class, and priced to match.

Aug 22, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #1,060 of 1,316
Im just going to leave this here.

Mine had a weird issue but turns out it had to do with an external power supply. It's been working great ever since I got rid of the UPS. I took it to a headfi meet recently, transported it a Hardigg case and it worked great. Everyone that listened had positive comments on the MHA/MHP combo.

I hope they don't come out with a tube version at least for another couple years...

And I was one of the guys who auditioned it at the meet and I would like you to send it to me ASAP. Thanks!:grinning:

Aug 23, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #1,061 of 1,316
FWIW, the C48, C50, and C2500 preamps had fairly widespread and well documented issues with the USB input. I believe they did issue a firmware update in that case. So there is a precedent for DAC issues in Mac gear and subsequent updates.

Aug 23, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #1,062 of 1,316
  FWIW, the C48, C50, and C2500 preamps had fairly widespread and well documented issues with the USB input. I believe they did issue a firmware update in that case. So there is a precedent for DAC issues in Mac gear and subsequent updates.

not holding my breath for the update but very much interested in seeing if they ever fix it.

Aug 24, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #1,065 of 1,316
Well thats a scary thiought. Id be pretty pissed if that happened.

Did you notice anything odd before or after? It just went dead and won't turn on? Scary for a piece of gear this price.

I did not notice anything before it stopped working.  My dealer told me McInstosh sent me a new one -- should be here this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back