MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100
Aug 7, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #1,021 of 1,316
I am using a late 2013 MacBook Pro Retina with OS X Yosemite (10.10.4) and this problem occurs with anything that runs on the computer (whether it's iTunes/Pure Music, web browsers, iMovie, etc. - basically anything that outputs audio).  I also tried a second laptop with the same results.

Have you sent an email to McIntosh yet? If not, I would do that first.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Aug 7, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #1,023 of 1,316
I have sent a mail three months ago about 2 issues and they did not respond me.
One was about the volume defaulting to 30% when you turn on the MHA100, even if the manual states it should memorize last used level.
The second was related to the fact that, if you turned off MHA100 with the PC turned on, in Windows, it gives an error of usb malfunction.
I must say that during normal playback, i have lost connection between PC and MHA100 for maybe half a dozen times in 3/4 months: the PC just stops seeing MHA100 in the middle of playing. One thing i noticed is that it happens sometimes when automatic updates for something show on the PC (itunes update, or windows update or whatever update).
Other times, drop is just not explained.
I do think the second issue i tried to report is somehow related with this loss of connection.

It would be nice if someone at McIntosh at least released a new firmware to fix these BUGS so that the product actually performs as it was designed to.

Please let us know if you get answered to,

Cheers and good luck,

8raynee

Aug 7, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #1,024 of 1,316
  I have sent a mail three months ago about 2 issues and they did not respond me.
One was about the volume defaulting to 30% when you turn on the MHA100, even if the manual states it should memorize last used level.
The second was related to the fact that, if you turned off MHA100 with the PC turned on, in Windows, it gives an error of usb malfunction.
I must say that during normal playback, i have lost connection between PC and MHA100 for maybe half a dozen times in 3/4 months: the PC just stops seeing MHA100 in the middle of playing. One thing i noticed is that it happens sometimes when automatic updates for something show on the PC (itunes update, or windows update or whatever update).
Other times, drop is just not explained.
I do think the second issue i tried to report is somehow related with this loss of connection.

It would be nice if someone at McIntosh at least released a new firmware to fix these BUGS so that the product actually performs as it was designed to.

Please let us know if you get answered to,

Cheers and good luck,

8raynee

Yes, your second problem sounds similar to what I am experiencing.  Sometimes the Macbook Pro no longer sees the MHA100 (driver drop-out, and therefore no sound) and other times the sound drops off even though the MHA driver is still seen by the OS (no driver drop-out).  Anyway, if I get a response from McIntosh I will be sure to post.

Aug 7, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #1,025 of 1,316
The sound level starting at 30% is perfectly normal for the MHA100 whenever you switch output between speakers or headphones. This feature deliberately protects you from overloading any output device at power up or when you switch sources. I really like this feature and it may be that your only problem is that you have to get used to it and expect it to happen. It does not mean there is anything wrong with the amplifier.

The other problem of having it drop the source signal from a USB connection is something I can't help you with, but it may have more to do with your Macbook Pro than with the amplifier itself. There is also a setup issue regarding how the amplifier behaves if it does not detect any activity for 30 minutes. See the description of the Power Mode on pages 19 and 20 of the manual. I leave my setup with the Power Mode Auto Off in the Off position.

I previously commented in this forum that when when you turn off the MHA100 on a Windows machine you will see an error message that is NOT really an error with the amplifier. This error message is something that surprised me when I first saw it. I think the message is a problem with the driver that can be safely ignored. I no longer turn off the amplifier until after I turn off my computer. I too would like to see this behavior changed when the driver gets updated.  What I think should happen is that a Windows machine, or any other computer should automatically select another default sound device when the MHA100 is turned off. I would appreciate it if anyone else can explain why this behavior might not be a good idea. If I manually turn off one of my printers my computer does not generate a similar error message. It should be legal to turn off a printer or an amplifier at any time without generating an annoying spurious error message.

I love my MHA100 and only wish others would discuss this machine when commenting about DACs and amps. I consider this to be a personal amplifier whose main strength is that it powers both speakers and headphones. I probably listen to speakers 2/3 of the time (KEF LS-50s) and listen to headphones only 1/3 of the time (HD800s). The MHA100 is my first McIntosh product and it has exceeded my expectations.

Aug 7, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #1,026 of 1,316
i belive the usb drop out issue is related to the source material you are playing.

i noticed this problem when i first got mine. it has a problem changing rates/bit depth if i recall. most of my material is redbook/cd quality so i havent had this happen in a long time.

Aug 8, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #1,027 of 1,316
  The sound level starting at 30% is perfectly normal for the MHA100 whenever you switch output between speakers or headphones. This feature deliberately protects you from overloading any output device at power up or when you switch sources. I really like this feature and it may be that your only problem is that you have to get used to it and expect it to happen. It does not mean there is anything wrong with the amplifier.

The other problem of having it drop the source signal from a USB connection is something I can't help you with, but it may have more to do with your Macbook Pro than with the amplifier itself. There is also a setup issue regarding how the amplifier behaves if it does not detect any activity for 30 minutes. See the description of the Power Mode on pages 19 and 20 of the manual. I leave my setup with the Power Mode Auto Off in the Off position.

I previously commented in this forum that when when you turn off the MHA100 on a Windows machine you will see an error message that is NOT really an error with the amplifier. This error message is something that surprised me when I first saw it. I think the message is a problem with the driver that can be safely ignored. I no longer turn off the amplifier until after I turn off my computer. I too would like to see this behavior changed when the driver gets updated.  What I think should happen is that a Windows machine, or any other computer should automatically select another default sound device when the MHA100 is turned off. I would appreciate it if anyone else can explain why this behavior might not be a good idea. If I manually turn off one of my printers my computer does not generate a similar error message. It should be legal to turn off a printer or an amplifier at any time without generating an annoying spurious error message.

I love my MHA100 and only wish others would discuss this machine when commenting about DACs and amps. I consider this to be a personal amplifier whose main strength is that it powers both speakers and headphones. I probably listen to speakers 2/3 of the time (KEF LS-50s) and listen to headphones only 1/3 of the time (HD800s). The MHA100 is my first McIntosh product and it has exceeded my expectations.

John, I love my MHA100 too, as do I the other 3 McIntosh units I own, and I have discussed its greatness on this thread a while back, but just because I love it it doesn't mean I shouldn't discuss the issue I have with it, especially since it affects the unit on a daily basis.  Also, allow me to point out that the auto power mode is not related to the problem (mine is also set to "off), nor is it the Macbook Pro.  I have now tested it with 3 different Macs and the issue is the same.  It may be a Mac/MHA100 compatibility issue (I have not tested with Windows as I do not own one) but this is not an excuse, is it?

i belive the usb drop out issue is related to the source material you are playing.

i noticed this problem when i first got mine. it has a problem changing rates/bit depth if i recall. most of my material is redbook/cd quality so i havent had this happen in a long time.

Yes, the problem does occur after when rates/bit depth is changed (but also when just pausing and re-starting the same track).  But surely this is not something owners can live with, right?  I mean, I have many different source material with varying rates/bit depth so this issue will come up oftentimes.  You prompted me to try something:  I will set the driver settings to be constantly 32bit/192,000Hz so that there is no rate/bit depth change (all source material will be up sampled to this) to see if the problem occurs any less...

Aug 8, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #1,028 of 1,316
I was having a problem with the MHA100 not finding my Mac Mini on startup.

The addition of a Schiit Wyrd cured it. So far.

Aug 8, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #1,029 of 1,316
  I was having a problem with the MHA100 not finding my Mac Mini on startup.

The addition of a Schiit Wyrd cured it. So far.

Well, I hate to think that the cure is such an easy and cheap option.... you would think that this $99 circuitry was incorporated into the $4,500 McIntosh.  Anyway, this does indicate that there are others with the same or similar problem... I wish McIntosh does something about it.  I will consider buying the Wyrd if this is indeed a fix although I don't want any extra boxes as the whole point to the MHA100 is that it is a high-end all-in-one option (HA, DAC and speaker amp).  

Aug 8, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #1,030 of 1,316

Well, I hate to think that the cure is such an easy and cheap option.... you would think that this $99 circuitry was incorporated into the $4,500 McIntosh.  Anyway, this does indicate that there are others with the same or similar problem... I wish McIntosh does something about it.  I will consider buying the Wyrd if this is indeed a fix although I don't want any extra boxes as the whole point to the MHA100 is that it is a high-end all-in-one option (HA, DAC and speaker amp).  

I'm inclined to conclude the problem was with my MacMini and not so much the MHA100.

Aug 8, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #1,031 of 1,316

I'm inclined to conclude the problem was with my MacMini and not so much the MHA100.

What makes you believe it was your particular MacMini?  Did you try it with other MacMinis / other PC and the issue was not there?  If so, I can understand how you have reached your conclusion.  In my case, I have tried it on three different Macs and all have the same effect.  The common denominator between these three machines is that there are all running Yosemite.  Even if Yosemite was the problem, then I ask:

1. Surely, McIntosh would accommodate for any Yosemite particulars, given that it is the operating system of millions of users around the world...  Is this too much to ask?
  2. How come other DAC/HP Amps work with the very same OS on these very same machines of mine and yet the MHA100 does not?  Could it be that McIntosh could just release a firmware update or USB interface upgrade to resolve this issue?? 

Aug 8, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #1,032 of 1,316

What makes you believe it was your particular MacMini?  

Because I didn't suffer the same issue when feeding the MHA100 from my Macbook Pro.
I can't speak for PC performance as I operate in a totally Mac centric environment.

Aug 8, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #1,033 of 1,316

Because I didn't suffer the same issue when feeding the MHA100 from my Macbook Pro.
I can't speak for PC performance as I operate in a totally Mac centric environment.

Ok, that make sense.  In my case however, the problem occurs with two MacBook Pros and a MacMini - and that's why I know it's an issue with the MHA100.

BTW, I, too, am in a Mac-centric environment.  

Aug 8, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #1,034 of 1,316

Ok, that make sense.  In my case however, the problem occurs with two MacBook Pros and a MacMini - and that's why I know it's an issue with the MHA100.

BTW, I, too, am in a Mac-centric environment.  

Because your issue does not seem to be prevalent among other owners, I think, if I were you, I might take the unit back to the dealer and ask for a replacement.
If a bulk of owners were reporting the same problem, I might assume a firmware update would be the solution. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

Aug 9, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #1,035 of 1,316
No problems with my Late 2012 MacMini. Midi is setup with 44.1K and 2Ch 24 Bit integer.  Also, no problems with Audirvana Plus.  ditto with my 2014 MacBook Air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back