MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100
Aug 23, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #391 of 1,316
  It might just be a preference thing (regarding the th900). When I did the store demo I thought the 900 were very good, but at home and comparing against the HE6 there was no question which I preferred. 

The HE6 with the MHA100 is the best I've yet to hear them. I should note though that I haven't used them with any of the über HE6 speaker amps favoured in the HE6 thread. Amps I've tried the HE6 with: Naim Headline, Mapletree Ear+ Super, Fostex HPA8, Audion Silvernight 300B, Naim Nait5i, Nuforce DDA100, Leben CS600.

At the demo I also tried the store's HD800. I've never really liked the HD800 when I've tried them before, with a couple of different amps. Yes, they were technically very good but didn't connect with me. But with the MHA100 it was the first time I felt they really might be worth buying.

thanks for your answers. Very helpfull.

Aug 25, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #392 of 1,316
And here, finally, is my reply.
Exactly like the fellow members above me have stated I have found no evidence of channel imbalance on low levels and the volume curve seems to me to be pretty even. There are no distinguishable jumps in volume when (slowly) turning the knob. As far as I am concerned I tend to switch between “HIGH 40 – 150 Ω“ and „HIGH 150 – 600 Ω” with my LCD-X. I usually listen around 22 – 25 on the former and 18 – 22 on the latter setting.
This is plenty of volume for me and I find the extra oomph and authority the MHA100 gives on these settings to open up the LCDs. Will try the other settings and can post my average volume settings with them later this week if there is interest.

Obviously, the graph looks different for the various impedance settings.

On a related note, I have a question about HDX:
I found the HDX to be interesting, unfortunately taking away some clarity on certain tracks. Definitely interesting on well-recorded/-produced tracks, especially when imaging and soundstage are of the essence. It does seem to render a more “complete” picture of the soundstage and imaging, especially working against the three blob issue. Then again, in not so well-recorded songs it just seems to dull the sound somehow.
How did you guys find the HDX and who uses it for what?

Aug 25, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #393 of 1,316
  On a related note, I have a question about HDX:
I found the HDX to be interesting, unfortunately taking away some clarity on certain tracks. Definitely interesting on well-recorded/-produced tracks, especially when imaging and soundstage are of the essence. It does seem to render a more “complete” picture of the soundstage and imaging, especially working against the three blob issue. Then again, in not so well-recorded songs it just seems to dull the sound somehow.
How did you guys find the HDX and who uses it for what?

Although i admit I haven't used it extensively I pretty much agree on your view of the HDX setting. I think that one problem is that if you do quick A-B testing of the HDX the loss in clarity becomes too obvious and overshadows the positives in image/soundstage, and you then prefer to not use the HDX. Maybe I should try to use it for a longer period to evaluate it, the function is interesting enough to deserve that.

Aug 25, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #394 of 1,316
  Although i admit I haven't used it extensively I pretty much agree on your view of the HDX setting. I think that one problem is that if you do quick A-B testing of the HDX the loss in clarity becomes too obvious and overshadows the positives in image/soundstage, and you then prefer to not use the HDX. Maybe I should try to use it for a longer period to evaluate it, the function is interesting enough to deserve that.

My thoughts exactly.

When (IF) I ever have the time to do a thorough review of the MHA100 I will definitely give HDX a few hours. But right now I feel exactly like you: the negative effects of HDX in direct A-B testing are overwhelming while the benefits seem minor in comparison.

Aug 30, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #395 of 1,316
Put a deposit down on a used one on Thursday. Waiting for the call to tell me that is there for collection!! Will be pairing it with Grado PS1000 and Mac Mini. What are people's thoughts on Abyss? Been aware of them for some time but not heard them.

Regards

Aug 31, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #396 of 1,316
I spent a few hours with them. And annoyingly, they live up to the hype, they are the best headphones I have ever heard. Stomping the LCD-3, th-900, he560 and everything else I had on hand into the ground.

They are not very neutral, the sub-bass hits you first, it presents mind blowing bass, tight, powerful, yet some how, not overpowering. It was forgiving yet still very accurate. It is very hard to convey how un-*******-believable they sound. It was almost impossible. How could they be so lush and bass strong yet still sound so clear and accurate? I love them, and sadly, will have to buy them becuase nothing else I can get even comes close.

They are not neutral though, so if  you like the neutral sound go the hd-800 or stax road.

Aug 31, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #397 of 1,316
Thanks for that. Bo$$ocks! I did have a pair of 009/007 Kimik amp, and while I loved the smooth natural sound, I thought they didn't sound particularly exciting to listen to hence they were moved on. I do really enjoy a wide soundstage from headphones and wonder if these would be similar to my Grado? Might go and take a listen at some point.

Aug 31, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #398 of 1,316
  I spent a few hours with them...

Just to be sure, are you speaking about the Abyss ?  

I wish they could redesign the ergonomic aspect and keep the SQ :)

Aug 31, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #399 of 1,316

Just to be sure, are you speaking about the Abyss ?  

I wish they could redesign the ergonomic aspect and keep the SQ :)

My apologies. I mean the Abyss. I havn't had the pleasure of an audition with the Mcintosh. I live in Aus and the thing is nearly 7k!!!

I think a lot of people would spend the 5k if they re-designed the headband.

Aug 31, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #400 of 1,316
By the way, does someone has infos about the availability of McIntosh 2000$ headphone MCH 1000 ?

Sep 3, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #405 of 1,316
  Was quoted the MHA100 at US$7,600 (S$9,650) from the local Singapore dealer.    That's quite a markup from the RRP of US$4500.  Guess i will wait for my trip to the US.......

...but just imagine how cool the other locals will think you are for having something most can't afford even at the US price. it doesn't hurt that it sounds great but ultimately image is what trumps in the most of asia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back