McIntosh Introduces the MHA150!
Feb 5, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #241 of 265
I hate overly analytical sound personally, and I tried the MHA150 with the 1266 Phi CC - was love at first sight. I’m waiting for a local dealer to give me a call later this afternoon to discuss the 150 and the 200, but apparently the 150 will no longer be made/sold :frowning2:

the thing is, in the specs the 150 has 1W of power on high gain, and it was absolutely marvelous with the 1266, so there might be more to those power figures

@mvvRAZ I wouldn't be worried about MHA150 being out of production, couple of months ago my dealer provided me with MHA100 and 150 for comparison and offered new MHA100 (when I have been wondering if I want just an amp so dac section would be bypassed by external one). There are still some new MHA100 on the market probably so you will be able to find MHA150 for next few months at least after production ends. How do you know MHA150 is out of production anyway?

Feb 5, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #242 of 265
@mvvRAZ I wouldn't be worried about MHA150 being out of production, couple of months ago my dealer provided me with MHA100 and 150 for comparison and offered new MHA100 (when I have been wondering if I want just an amp so dac section would be bypassed by external one). There are still some new MHA100 on the market probably so you will be able to find MHA150 for next few months at least after production ends. How do you know MHA150 is out of production anyway?
That’s what the dealer I got in touch said. He should be calling me in the next hour, I’ll keep you updated

Feb 7, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #244 of 265
Not a big fan of the balanced plugs in the front design... I really don't need to see those and their ugly wires all day since they never get disconnected. Would have preferred a bit more modern styling and much bigger tubes.

Feb 11, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #245 of 265
Can anyone tell me what you need to do to "activate" the pre-amp outs on the MHA150 when using it as a DAC only? I ran RCA connectors from the pre-amp outs on the 150' to the rca "in's" on the headphone amp I'd like to use but no sound / signal coming from the headphone amp so I'm starting to think you have to change a setting somewhere in the 150' to use the pre-amp outs? I clicked through the various settings but nothing jumped out at me. Thanks!

Feb 11, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #247 of 265
Thanks, I will have to check that out, I'm surprised at that if that is what it turns out to be. I've never tried using speakers with my 150', is that where you just use the output knob to select "speaker large" or "speaker small" and that activates the speakers? Thanks for your help.

May 15, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #248 of 265
How does the headphone output in something like the MA5300 compare to the MHA150? Any major tradeoffs?

May 15, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #249 of 265
That’s what the dealer I got in touch said. He should be calling me in the next hour, I’ll keep you updated
Any updates? I see the MHA150 is still listed on McIntosh 's website.

May 15, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #250 of 265
Hi.. I just bought the MHA150 and it is on the shipping, and hoping for 1 box solution ..

I am mainly going to use it with Kennerton Thror planar headphone. So i am glad that the dac is also in Brooklyn+ level.. I never listen to a reference class product before so i hope mha is upp there with best. Hugo2 is good but didn't have the power do drive Thror the way i want.

I am also going to use it with my 90db sensitive floorstander
How happy are you with the MHA150's 50-WPC performance driving the tower speakers? An all-in-one box solution seems appealing to me.

May 15, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #251 of 265
Any updates? I see the MHA150 is still listed on McIntosh 's website.
I ended up purchasing one! Have had it for a few weeks now but I got it second hand :)

May 15, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #252 of 265
How happy are you with the MHA150's 50-WPC performance driving the tower speakers? An all-in-one box solution seems appealing to me.
I’ve had the MHA150 for a year and a half and couldn’t be happier.
I bought a pair of Harbeth P3ESR-XD’s a couple of months ago and is exactly what I was after.
Now I’m going to buy a pair of Focal Stellia Headphones, and possibly the Utopias too.
Maybe it’s my older age, but I really enjoy this SMALL high end system.
Larger systems aren’t as interesting to me given my specific usage these days.

Jul 8, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #253 of 265
Have been using a Focal Arche with my Stelias for several months now. I have been offered a good price $2500 on a McIntosh MHA 150. Have wanted the latter for some time. Like the fact that the Arche is balanced, but is the quality of the McIntosh worth the money for me to buy it and possibly sell the Arche?
Thanks in advance for your input. (Using A & K devices.)

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #255 of 265
Have been using a Focal Arche with my Stelias for several months now. I have been offered a good price $2500 on a McIntosh MHA 150. Have wanted the latter for some time. Like the fact that the Arche is balanced, but is the quality of the McIntosh worth the money for me to buy it and possibly sell the Arche?
Thanks in advance for your input. (Using A & K devices.)
I have the MHA-150 and use the Stellia's now with it.....wonderful combination!
I (recently) looked at the Focal Arche for straight headphone use in bed, etc....although I've never heard it, I wouldn't sell it now.
I like the MHA-150 because it also has 50wpc out to my Harbeth P3ESR-XD speakers.
Built-in DAC, rugged, easy to use headphones or speakers at the flip of a switch.....the McIntosh is tough to beat for a small, do everything amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back