McIntosh Introduces the MHA150!
Feb 28, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #181 of 265
I just picked up the MHA150, a MCT80 cd player along with a pair of MAC XR50 Speakers from the Source in Torrance - Could not be happier with the sound

I've got a somewhat similar setup and love it too :beerchug:

Sep 13, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #182 of 265
I just bought and am to receive my MHA-150 Amp on Monday of next week. What would be the ultimate set of headphones that would compliment this amp..? Was thinking the top end HIFIMAN ones that are about 6k..? This is all new to me and spending more then i have sense..:)

Sep 13, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #184 of 265
I love the Susvara with the mha150. Find a pair used though. Right price for these is below $4k. I picked mine up for mid 3s.

Sep 13, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #185 of 265
you don't need to spend a ton of money on headphones with this dac/amp. i had the focal utopia and they sounded incredible i am not going to lie. then i realized that the Mha-150 will make ANY headphone sound amazing.
once i had that realization i sold the utopia and got some Sennheiser hd 660s. not as much pop and bass as the utopia but not THAT much of a difference and a wider soundstage.

Sep 13, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #187 of 265
Congrats!

Any headphone sounds great with the MHA-150.

Some choices to consider:

- Any Focal
- Any Grado
- Any Audeze

Within these companies it is a very subjective choice. Have fun listening to a variety and pick the one you like best.
-- WW
Ok this my sound quite idiotic but what would be the ultimate input source for music/audio. I am not interested in using my iPad or laptop..:)

Sep 13, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #188 of 265
Laptop with "high rez" sources and a good program like Roon works great. I started to up sample all my sources to DSD 256 on Roon. It opens up so much of the sound stage. MHA 150 is a trusted partner of Roon so it is recognized by the software and works out of the box without a hitch.

My 2 cents...
-- WW

Sep 13, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #189 of 265
Thanks so what I do is buy some type of software and up load it to my MacBook Pro..? Also can you tell me how one gets a signature with items they have listed on posts as I am unable to figure it out..

Sep 13, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #190 of 265
Thanks so what I do is buy some type of software and up load it to my MacBook Pro..? Also can you tell me how one gets a signature with items they have listed on posts as I am unable to figure it out..

You can use iTunes to start, and branch out from there. iTunes is preinstalled on every MacBook.

I've yet to hear a bad pairing with the MHA150, but my personal favorite so far is the HE1000.

Sep 14, 2019 at 12:31 AM Post #191 of 265
Laptop with "high rez" sources and a good program like Roon works great. I started to up sample all my sources to DSD 256 on Roon. It opens up so much of the sound stage. MHA 150 is a trusted partner of Roon so it is recognized by the software and works out of the box without a hitch.

My 2 cents...
-- WW
how do you upsample all the way to dsd 256 using roon? are you starting out with hi res or just streaming from tidal?

Sep 14, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #192 of 265
Ok this my sound quite idiotic but what would be the ultimate input source for music/audio. I am not interested in using my iPad or laptop..:)

I’m using the original Aurelic Vega (fed by a PC running iTunes at highest setting) and the McIntosh MCT80. A big reason for my MHA150 purchase was the MCT80 transport pairing. I wanted something that would play all my media (well, except vinyl and reel to reel).

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #194 of 265
@QueueCumber what do you mean by "iTunes at highest setting"?

The highest sampling/bit rate possible via iTunes and the Vega (I think mine is currently set to 192khz and 24bit). I haven’t been able to hear differences between that and any CD material I have (which is quite extensive) with the AAC at that setting, so I mostly use iTunes on all my setups nowadays. The rare exceptions are SACDs and DVD-As that have been mastered to sound different.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back