McIntosh Apreciation
Dec 18, 2009 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

DJPixcell

Head-Fier
I wasn't quite sure where to post this but I had to post it.

My uncle purchased a McIntosh system, including speakers aplifiers reciever, and a vinly player.

He bought it off of a 86 year old who said he had paid over 6 months of his pay from back in 1958 to pay for the system.

The man had everything, all packages, boxes and manuals from when he originally purchased it.

I can easily say to this day, it sounds absolutely fantastic. My uncle has a vinly collection of only over 40 records, but what he does have is fantastic. Everything sounds crystal clear and the sound is soo loud and lively.

Something similar to what he has, not sure though.
McIntosh_MC2100_Service_Manual.jpg

Just thought I would say that in my personal opinion, nothing sounds as good as vinyl. Some may argue its quality, but the sound you can get is not replaceable by any other type..

Its all about the experience.

[would post pics if I had them.. lol maybe next time I invade my uncles house back in Ontario I will have to!]

Dec 19, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #2 of 18
I plan to see the McIntosh system I hope to talk my dad out of when I go see them for Christmas. He has a 1960s era pre-amp and monoblock amps. He used to have a nice pair of DIY Klipschorns to match the system, but they did not make it into his new house. He served in the air force for a few years back when I was 4-6, and he built those speakers, and a beautiful walnut stereo cabinet. The cabinet did not make it either, and I believe its history. He got a pair of those big Bose stand mounted speakers, back when Bose made some innovative quality stuff, and they are up on some corner shelves in his den.

In preparation for tubes, my Christmas present from Santa is a new pair of Zu Audio Essence speakers. I will look into a SET amplifer of some sort if he is keeping them for now.

McIntosh is still great gear. I used to listen to his pre-amp with and old pair of Koss headphones - with the colored foam. He had another pair with vinyl ear pads that was supra-aural, but I don't know what they were.

Jan 28, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #3 of 18
McIntosh is simply brilliant. I have no idea why no one is writing about their products on this website...

Jan 28, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #4 of 18
The MC2100 is a mid 1970's amp and is solid state.
If its from 1960 then its a mc60 or mc75 mono blocks, the
mc275 stereo amp is a bit later say 1968. Also from that
era, the mc240. And monsters like the mI200 and mc350.

Lots of people here including myself have classic Mcintosh.
Great stuff designed to last a very long time. Not too many
people have the newer stuff because it has become very
expensive.

Jan 28, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #5 of 18
I had a MC250 - solid state amp with output transformers! My first component stereo (which my parents help buy) was large Advent speakers, C26 preamp, MC250 power amp and a turntable I don't remember (I think it was a Pioneer direct drive with a Shure cartridge). The good old days (this was about 1972 or thereabouts).

Jan 29, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #7 of 18
I've already warned my wife that in approx. 20 years, a McIntosh amp and a nice set of speakers is going to be my retirement present to myself.  I drool over the systems on display at the local hi-end audio shop any time I am there.  Aside from the amazing sound, I also think they are some of the best looking components I've ever seen.  Oh well, until the time comes, I will make do with my vintage marantz and pioneer solid state amps.

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #8 of 18
Yes - it took me a lot to get my MA6600 and MCD 301. But I haven't looked back since...

I'm hoping to pair the MCD301 to a Ray Samuels HR-2 in the coming months...ought to be a nice combo too...

The McIntosh 2102 tube amp was my other amp choice before I went ahead and got the MA6600. 

Besides the fantastic SQ, they are so well built - a point overlooked by many buying amps these days.

Feb 3, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #9 of 18

Quote:
The MC2100 is a mid 1970's amp and is solid state.
If its from 1960 then its a mc60 or mc75 mono blocks, the
mc275 stereo amp is a bit later say 1968. Also from that
era, the mc240. And monsters like the mI200 and mc350.

Lots of people here including myself have classic Mcintosh.
Great stuff designed to last a very long time. Not too many
people have the newer stuff because it has become very
expensive.

They are MC60s, with a C22 pre, and I noticed a sticker that a repair company had applied a bunch of years back to one of the monoblocks.  When I get them, they will be pretty much going straight to the restorer, as I know all the caps are old, and the chasis will need cleaning.  Then I can start tube shopping.  Dad is doing well, and I don't expect to get them anytime soon.  Making do with the Quicksilver Mini Mites.

Not sure I will use the C22 though, I really like the W4S STP-SE as a pre.  Although I could replace my phono pre with a setup unit and use the phono section of the C22.

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #10 of 18
I'll chime in here.  I am a big McIntosh fan.  I bought my very first pair of MC30 mono tube amps in 1968, and used them to drive a pair of Altec Voice of the Theater speakers.  I got the McIntosh bug early and never really recovered.  Today I have four McIntosh based systems, and would probably have more, but I don't have anymore rooms in my house to start another system.  Take a peek at my photo album if your interested.  There are many wonderful high-end audio manufacturers building amazing gear, but for me it's all about McIntosh gear.

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #11 of 18
Yeah - I wish I could buy more - I was thinking of their turntable but not sure if I really need it? Anyone had experience with the MT10?

Feb 4, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #12 of 18
Syan25.......I know a couple people who use the McIntosh MT10 turntable.  Both are very satisfied with the performance.  The MT10 turntable comes complete with the tonearm and moving coil cartridge, and it is my understanding that the entire package is manufactured by Clearaudio in Germany to McIntosh specifications.  $10k new, I have seen a few used MT10's on Audiogon for $4900.  The MT10 certainly has a unique style, with the front panel designed to look like a McIntosh component, and the meter reading the turntable speed.  There are many very fine turntable and arm combinations available in the $10k range that I find more attractive, but if you can find a clean used MT10 under $5k, that makes for an excellent deal on a good performer.

Feb 4, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #13 of 18
I've had my eye on one for awhile. I own thousands of albums but they are not with me in Asia. If I ever decide to bring them over - or if I move back to the UK permanently, I will be wanting a quality turntable. In the past, I usually bought Project turntables - but I must confess that McIntosh holds a special place in my heart that is as much to do with SQ as it is to do with the ethos of the product...an expensive ethos..
smile_phones.gif

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #14 of 18
Syan25......It is a shame to be separated from a large vinyl collection.  Moving such a collection is always difficult due to weight, and the delicate nature of vinyl.  I hope you find yourself reunited with all that music one day.

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #15 of 18
Yep - that's a shame of being a travelling musician. But I do plan to move back to the UK one day and then - I will take all those records down to London...

Maybe I ought to consider the MDA1000 - as DAC so that I can get close to the vinyl sound as much as possible...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back