McGill-fi?
Sep 27, 2006 at 2:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

sebascrub

500+ Head-Fier
Just wondering if there are any other McGill students around these forums, or am I all alone?
biggrin.gif

Sep 27, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #4 of 26
Hey, what do you guys think of McGill? I applied last spring, but for some reason didn't get in (my application was pretty strong) so I never visited or anything. I've been in school for a little more than a month at Case Western Reserve in Cleveland and am still wondering what I'm missing out on.

PMs would probably be better than posts so as not to highjack this thread even more than I am now. Thanks, and sorry.

Sep 27, 2006 at 5:04 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x
Me, three.

Undergrad or Graduate? I'm 2nd year undergrad
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 27, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #6 of 26
I think univ of Toronto is better.

why?

convenience: pearson airport rocks

food: the food in montreal isnt as french as whative thought to be, and the variety is not as great as in toronto

girls: toronto is slightly warmer for longer period, more sights of girls in bikinis sun tanning and mini skirts

prof prestige: The only time i read about mcgill in textbooks is the gold foil experiment conducted by steve rutherford but when was TT??? U of T still has a living nobel prize winner doing chemistry right now. I juz talked with him juz now.

nearby scenery: if u have seen niagara falls, mount morency is juz crap

Sep 28, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig
I think univ of Toronto is better.

why?

convenience: pearson airport rocks

food: the food in montreal isnt as french as whative thought to be, and the variety is not as great as in toronto

girls: toronto is slightly warmer for longer period, more sights of girls in bikinis sun tanning and mini skirts

prof prestige: The only time i read about mcgill in textbooks is the gold foil experiment conducted by steve rutherford but when was TT??? U of T still has a living nobel prize winner doing chemistry right now. I juz talked with him juz now.

nearby scenery: if u have seen niagara falls, mount morency is juz crap

Convienience: Dorval does suck, +1 for UT

Food: Sorry buddy, you've got it wrong there, Montreal is perhaps the culinary capital of Canada for European food; yes, asian food except lebanese food sucks, but french, greek, italian, and middle eastern food you cant beat here. Tie for McGill and UT

Girls: French and uninhibited. Nuff said. +1 McGill

Prof prestige: More Nobel prize winners, and McGill has a much greater international presence +1 McGill

Weather: Montreal is F'n cold +1 UT

Scenery: Toronto is kinda ugly urban sprawl (so is Montreal, but not quite so bad) - but we at least have cool places near by (Tremblant, Quebec city) whereas Toronto has what... (hamilton? windsor?) +1 McGill

Last of all, drinking age 18 and you can't really beat Montreal nightlife... Torontonians take themselves way too seriously.

Sep 28, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #8 of 26
If I had to choose between Montreal and Toronto (or specifically McGill and U of T) I would choose McGill in a second. Certainly the culture is at least a billion (or is it a googleplex?) better than Toronto. Montreal SMOKES in terms of clubs (for a few years the number one dance club in the world was located in Montreal as ranked by top Club mags) and it has jazz clubs the rest of the world lusts after.

So for music..Montreal for sure. Then the arts? Well, Toronto likely wins for painted art, but otherwise Montreal will win. Dance? Montreal. Acrobatics/ballet (think Cirque du Soleil), Montreal again.

Partying? As a student...lower drinking age, booze at the Depanneur!! 24/7 access! and women that are first rate in the world. Sorry, Montreal again.

As for Food...heh, Montreal no contest for ANY type of food. Montreal is ranked annually by the top haute cuisine mags as one of the top cities in the world. Toronto? It is annually flogged for being horribly behind despite its incredible cultural diversity. Heck..even Ottawa has better ranked restaurants and Ottawa is often mocked hard for being a lame capital to dine in.

Okay so how about education? McGill has more prestige in the US than U of T, but U of T likely has more worldwide prestige. McGill has more nobel laureates, but U of T has a bigger operating budget and better facilities and access to tech. U of T also shares many resources with York so their law facilities for instance are top notch (Osgoode + U of T). Medicine is a toss up. U of T is more advanced, McGill may have a better foundation. Toronto offers the top ranking hospitals, but Montreal is king for Neurological, perhaps in the world.

The downside...Montreal has that bilingual thing...or rather the French language police. You just don't experience the outrage in Toronto. I'm part French, so I feel fine speaking this way, plus I work in Quebec 30% of the time, so I'm equipped enough with the politics to voice it. In a word - suckage.

Otherwise, Montreal is just cooler. But for straight advances, it depends. Toronto for most things for sure, business, engineering, medicine (overall), law, most humanities (I'm talking outside of the academic universe).

Beyond that...the audio shoppes in Montreal are better, more sophisticated but they are horribly snobby. Not sure about Toronto, but from what I have read and/or heard first hand, it seems to be a more relaxed thing.

Sep 28, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #9 of 26
The vibe in Montreal is just so much more different than anywhere else in Canada. My hometown is Calgary, but last year I lived in Waterloo (went to UW for a year), and now I'm here in Montreal to finish off my last 3 years of undergrad. This place reminds me so much of Buenos Aires, where I spent most of my life....it is amazing. I love being able to go out at 4 am and still find things open....like my supermarket. I can do groceries, in the middle of the night!!! If that isn't awesome, I don't know what is.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 28, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebascrub
Undergrad or Graduate? I'm 2nd year undergrad
smily_headphones1.gif

First year Master in CS. Honestly tho, I'm done with Head-Fi until graduation...

Sep 28, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by dffman2001
Convienience: Dorval does suck, +1 for UT

Food: Sorry buddy, you've got it wrong there, Montreal is perhaps the culinary capital of Canada for European food; yes, asian food except lebanese food sucks, but french, greek, italian, and middle eastern food you cant beat here. Tie for McGill and UT

reasonable tie

Girls: French and uninhibited. Nuff said. +1 McGill

i prefer to see non french gals in bikinis than french in winter coats
but i have to admit the french are just insanely cute, still remember the counter girl at quebec city subway who greeted me with bonjour =)

Prof prestige: More Nobel prize winners, and McGill has a much greater international presence +1 McGill

Name one nobel prize winner currently doing work in mcgill

Weather: Montreal is F'n cold +1 UT

Scenery: Toronto is kinda ugly urban sprawl (so is Montreal, but not quite so bad) - but we at least have cool places near by (Tremblant, Quebec city) whereas Toronto has what... (hamilton? windsor?) +1 McGill

i said niagara FALLS! how do u ever beat that??!!

Last of all, drinking age 18 and you can't really beat Montreal nightlife... Torontonians take themselves way too seriously.

drinking is bad for your health

Sep 28, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig
drinking is bad for your health

Drinking is actually necessary for one's health, all depends on the liquid of choice of course
wink.gif

As for alcohol, sure yeah, can be bad, but can be good. Small amounts of alcohol help with heart disease, too much and you screw the liver among other things.

But, if one so wants to indulge in gluttonous binging, Montreal is the spot!
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebascrub
The vibe in Montreal is just so much more different than anywhere else in Canada. My hometown is Calgary, but last year I lived in Waterloo (went to UW for a year), and now I'm here in Montreal to finish off my last 3 years of undergrad. This place reminds me so much of Buenos Aires, where I spent most of my life....it is amazing. I love being able to go out at 4 am and still find things open....like my supermarket. I can do groceries, in the middle of the night!!! If that isn't awesome, I don't know what is.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

They have 24 hour grocery shopping in Waterloo too
wink.gif
(or at least they did back in my undergrad days at Laurier)

Sep 29, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyRx7
They have 24 hour grocery shopping in Waterloo too
wink.gif
(or at least they did back in my undergrad days at Laurier)

Sobey's was, but it was kind of far from UW rez
wink.gif
I'm super lazy
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 13, 2006 at 6:42 AM Post #15 of 26
Any Head-Fiers still doing their undergrad? Any scientists?
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back